jam in the sand-4

old & in the way

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Forum MVP

Any chance of some chunky reviews from those of you that made it to Jamaica? The music, the vibe, the snorkeling, the warm sand, the drinks, the resort?? Anything? Now that you guys have digested it,,how about a little regurgitation? It always sounds so dreamy there... Anyway I hope it was fantastic for all...would love to hear more about it if anyone feels like sharing,,,thx

• Forum MVP

He probably had too many dirty bananas. He screamed it doesn't matter before Jeff sang the verse at least twice.

The deadhead version of a drunk. Lol !!!

Perhaps in another persuasion he would have been singing David Allen Coe's " You Never Call Me By My Name" or Hank Jr.'s "All My Rowdy Friends" at the top of his lungs. Probably glad in hindsight no chance of nugs release of that moment.

Matt, it was never that quiet at ANY point during any song in the 4 nights, maybe at any show I have ever been too,  so no, I don't remember any awkward moments like that during the 4 show run....just THAT one during MD. It really bummed Jeff out noticeably which I felt bad about...In some ways, it may have been even more amazing if no one had blurted out anything at all? It was THAT quiet!

• Forum MVP

Jeff is really good at changing his singing cadence to throw off the singers but there are those who want to sing it before a verse is sung to show the world that they know the lyrics. I've been to shows where I've seen Jeff come into a sing on weird beats b/c of singers and it still won't stop them.

• Forum MVP

An obnoxious deadhead seems like such an oxymoron. It strikes me as funny conceptually. Living it, probably not so funny.

The bittersweet beauty of Morning Dew. Quite a profound song capturing the preciousness of life and its gifts meant to be savored with a richness and depth. What a gift to be surrounded by some many in synergy around that preciousness and gratitude. The one- he received the ungiven gift, hopefully. The one where an inappropriate lack of appreciation brings wisdom and light . .....Really there is no good or bad; it is what it is until it isn't. Just forgiveness and light

Jeff and the band work magic with that song.

• Forum MVP

I do not believe it is possible for any person to be disrespectful or obnoxious at all times.  Thus not sure I would label anyone as an obnoxious person or a disrespectful person.  Just someone being obnoxious or disrespectful. 

I believe that obnoxiousness and disrespectfulness can exist exclusively from one another.  I do not believe that being obnoxious necessitates being disrespectful.  In order to be disrespectful, there must be an actor to be acted upon.  I could run around naked in the woods and do humping motions in the air.  My behavior would certainly qualify as obnoxious even by myself.  Then say we add two of my friends.  I engage in same behavior but these guys know me.  My behavior is still obnoxious but hasn't offended or disrespected anyone.  Now say we add your grandmother, I do the same behavior.  I have disrespected your grandmother.  

If I am listening to Morning Dew at home by myself and I want to sing the words before Jerry does, I haven't disrespected anyone.  I wouldn't even call that behavior obnoxious.  When you go see a live performance and your behavior detracts from those around you, you are being disrespectful to them as well as the performer.  This seems simple enough.  

Some disrespectful behavior is obnoxious.

Some obnoxious behavior disrespectful

But they are mutually exclusive.  One does not dictate or require the other.   

• Forum MVP

Hey this is a great conversation about obnoxiousness and disrespect but how were the SHOWS in Jamaica??!! Anyone?? Not trying to be obnoxious or disrespectful but I've been perplexed at the lack of reports from there beyond just the basic set list info. My more conspiratorial thoughts go to, "Well maybe it was just so far over the top that both the band and everyone there were in agreement to just 'keep this quiet' in an effort to hold onto the intimate magic". Or maybe it just generally kinda sucked and no one had much to say...? (Yeah right!!)

But I get that some experiences are beyond words so why even bother trying....

It sounds like such the fantasy trip of a lifetime to me and I dig hearing about it because it can lift and lighten my being...

After all,,it is still winter and every little bit of sunshine helps!!

I'll let it go now,,,take it or leave it,,

• Forum MVP

I may have a review for you.  In years past, I had penned reviews and allowed the likes on here to lift my spirits.  I'm actively trying to seek less attention.  I was hoping someone else may step up.  It is an unreal experience that I recommend to anyone who considers themselves a true fan of this music and this band.  

• Forum MVP

I wish I could review the shows for you ! Alas, I will 99.99% never go to JITS for 2 big reasons...... It seems the perfect respite and vacation to the music lover I am.

What obnoxiousness and disrespect can have in common is respect or a lack thereof. By simple definition, respect is missing in disrespectful action. Obnoxiousness has a much broader pallet. Chris Rock and Don Trump are obnoxious but Chris Rock is obnoxious many times without being disrespectful. He expressed humor and wisdom and integrity and individualism in his obnoxiousness too.

To me the person yelling out lyrics in spite of the musician is disrespectful AND annoying coming from an ego centered place. Someone being heartfelt in the moment probably has larger energies around respect and good manners than that behavior. No one is devoid of heart qualities. Some just have bigger energies around some than others and after all that is why you walk with and love and forgive your brothers and sisters. We all are on a growth path.

PS can't wait to shake these bones soon !

Obnoxious and disrespect are not always mutually exclusive but can be.Disrespectful doesn't need the presence of another person. I have experienced disrespect for my personal beliefs and values usually from being caught up in the moment, sometimes from self centerdness or lack of awareness in the moment.

Archived