5/14 Westbury

found

• Forum MVP

It wasn't easy but we came out winners. We got some laughers, pointers, gawkers, but we rolled away the dew and let loose.

Every night is different... I try to find that spark inside each night and bring forth my best. I'll keep trying....

• Advisory Board

Believe me, being old enough and around to see Jerry doesn't mean doodly squat...

In the day of the big venues and later bigger stadiums (80's and 90's) you weren't one in 10,000 that came for the show, you were one in even more than that.

The number of real heads who knew and appreciated the music, regardless of their dance desires, abilities, agilities, proclivities etc were always a minority in the crowd. The posers, Wookies, Muelies, drunks, druggies, college kids, frat boys, pretty girls along for the tie dye ride, young kids on a cool road trip, folks just trying to make money in the lot not going into the show, screamers during Morning Dew, sing alongers, holier than thous, Trustafarians, mean people, thieves, assholes, Nitrous mafia etc. were the majority.

Of course some shows, venues etc were better than others. My two Bay area NYE runs had a higher majority of deadicated attendees but still suffered from the above.

It was always rare to be able to have an intelligent and knowledgeable conversation about the music. Many had little clue or appreciation of the earlier bodies of work. So many were hyper opinionated and ridiculously critical of every show. When leaving a venue as a herd (so often) rather than hearing happy praise you heard criticism from people who just had no clue. All entitled to their opinions, but of course so was I, and they were wrong.

Most "real" heads at the time had a trusted crew they ran with, spoke to, traded with, listened with and that was their music family. That was what was real. The shows were the circus that came to town replete with freaks and sideshows. It was fun, but no nirvana or truth or reality. Tape trading I believe created a community. One found their trusted bunch who shared a respect for and coveted quality recordings and shows. One didn't trade just to trade (well again, some just wanted the "biggest" collection-not me, I wanted my best collection of great shows and sound but I would sacrifice sound quality for Pigpen any day). Maxell XLII's were too expensive and taping deck to deck was too time intensive to peddle in crap and folks who didn't know or care about your shared hope for what was great. The Archive is amazing. A godsend. Awesome. But it removed any need for face to face stuff and the discussions and shared space that the electronic world has brought to our way of life. Can't go back/can't stand still, but... Pros and Cons.

DSO actually often presents a better chance of being among a more authentic crowd of real appreciators of the music. Young or old, having seen Jerry or not. I have always been impressed and sometimes amazed and yes, appreciative of our younger contingent (getting older all the time, be careful). Darkstar Rick (I like that name), HelpSlip, Cosmic Mike, Mango and others truly carry the torch and keep the flame alive and that was sorely needed. Yes age and life and kids and jobs limit that ability to pick up and go like in days of yesteryear, but we try... and DSO is responsible for that in my world. Not The Other Ones, The Dead, Ratdog, Phil and Friends, Furthur, Fare Thee Well,or Dead and Co. Those never did it for me. Not even close. Just novelties. To each their own.

Minus Jerry and all he brought (creatively, emotionally, physically, instrumentally, vocally etc), this is really a golden age for this music. All because of DSO. Unless you are pretty old and saw Pigpen (maybe Keith era as well ((but not because of Keith or Donna)) in my opinion again) you didn't get to see the band in a venue ranging from the hundreds to a little over a thousand people. You didn't get to hear pristine sound quality all the time. You didn't get to hear all members of the band playing on all cylinders every night. You didn't get to hear Phil playing his bass like a lead guitar all the time like Skip. You didn't get to see some of your friends at just about every show anywhere in the country you went. And if the GD were around now the ticket prices would prohibit the kind of show attendance that the dirt cheap (my opinion) DSO prices allow. 

Dr. B B)

• Forum MVP

....DSO actually often presents a better chance of being among a more authentic crowd of real appreciators of the music.

Amend to that.    A fine writing, Dr. B.      I can only add that the JKB band also presents a true experience.

Peace and Love,

Doc

....DSO actually often presents a better chance of being among a more authentic crowd of real appreciators of the music.

Amend to that. A fine writing, Dr. B. I can only add that the JKB band also presents a true experience.

Peace and Love,

Doc

Speaking of JKB... I will be seeing him in Columbus tonight, pretty stoked. Very small bar should be fun!

• 3 months later...
  • Forum MVP

So I was thinking on that moment during Fire and Dancin today when the old timers that couldn't seem to care much about being respectful to me or the band for most of the show, but for that brief moment got in the time machine and could feel themselves back at MSG or Meadowlands or Nassau where ever it may be they were lucky enough to get to see Jerry play.  I think at the time my own selfishness led me to feel my experience of getting engaged in the show and forcing the tone for others around me was overly important.  I think what DSO did for those guys that night encapsulates the importance DSO has for many Heads who have simply moved on to a different life.  A life that doesn't really involve the dead, its scene, or seeing shows.  One more focused on family, career, and developing one's own interests and hobbies.  No one way of life is necessarily better than the other.  Certainly not my place to say, but just for that brief moment, DSO brought these guys back to younger more innocent time.  Less cares.  Greater joys.  I bet if they closed their eyes that just for one moment they could truly be there again.  

The beauty may have been lost on me in the moment, but it was not lost.  What DSO does is truly beautiful in so many different ways.

Archived