Eyes Of The World

Drums

Not Fade Away

Goin' Down The Road Feeling Bad

Around And Around

Encore:

U.S. Blues

F: Skips Box

AMAZING TIME! Massive space to groove and this town cut loose. The whole joint was rockin!!! When they announced the show it was so funny b/c it's another local recreation, but tonight the crowd erupted when they mentioned providence. Much love for this town. Everyone at the show was great. Such positive energy everywhere. Everyone danced like no one was watching. Did I say how fun tonight was!!!!! Still beaming.

• Forum MVP

Wow. What an experience.  The music the last 2 nights took me places.  I found the shows to be the strongest I've caught on this tour.  The 69 show falls more in line with my favorite era of the Dead and I really thought DSO delivered musically but Providence had the right combination of energy to make this sad boy smile big.  

The place was not sold out.  There was plenty of room to groove on the 2nd tier from the stage and further back.  I even danced in the crowd upfront tonight.  I weaved in and out and danced with a lot of people.  I'm pretty sure they fed off my energy and I know I fed off their energy.  The experience warmed my soul.  I'm really in need of that right now.  I'm sure some have heard and I briefly alluded too in a previous post, but my life is getting shaken up right now.  I'm back on my own.  She's gone.  It's raining.  I'm not always feeling my best and it has become increasingly difficult to spread the love of my soul out for others as I need all the love I can get right now.  I'm really torn up.  I hope she knows I love her and I will forever be writing her love songs.  

The show opened half step and many of those with the mark as plain as day eventually found ourselves pushed from the front and back onto the 2nd tier.  The first set built slow.  For this era of the dead, the music was not as high energy out the gate.  No bertha good lovin.  The music was more full of textures and colors and beauty but it was definitely not as much straight forward rock-n-roll as you might expect for a 78.  That is not to say the music was not played at a high level.  The band was on tonight.  The cohesion and the connection between band members bubbled over.  The symbiotic relationship of band to crowd was ever present.  It was Skip's birthday and you could definitely feel him the mix.  He rattled the floor again and again all night long.  Cassidy really set me a whirling and I joined a buddy back on the 2nd tier.  He keeps calling me Cassidy on here.  It makes it tough for it not to go to my head, but the song always makes me think of my dad.  He drove Cadillacs for as long as I can remember.  I even got to drive his last Cadillac after he passed.  The engine blew soon thereafter, but I'm glad I got that experience.  I must say that after my last couple show experiences (Westbury, Jubilee, Boston) that I was really pleased to find myself in a crowd full of people engaged in the music.  I'm not saying there weren't talkers and you'll always have your potted plants, but for the most part, the non dancers listened to the show and the talkers were easily avoided by moving.  It didn't follow you everywhere you go.  They love each other was beautiful, but clearly, I'm struggling to connect to that song right now.  On the other hand, I'm embracing the rain.  I let the emotion roll over me and I actually mostly smiled and remembered the deep love I have for her.  Its all right cause I love you.  The Roses was sublime.  I don't think it topped the majesty of Westbury, but it dripped with pure unadulterated magnificence. Uncle River was dancy.  I loved it.  I wasn't the only one dancing.  Hell lots of people were grooving and getting down to the cowboy segment harder than me.  Dancin'Fool really puts it out there.  The guy bubbles over with love and joy.  I'm so glad we met.  I love BEW.  I guess its time to once again see if those days haven't quite past me yet, but I'm not ready to put myself out there like that really just quite yet.  It still really fun to just dance and feel the energy, exchange glances and giggles.  One great truth of the dance is you can leave it all out there on the floor.  The lust, the joy, the sadness, the heartbreak, and the love.  Not to mention a whole host of other emotions.  It can all be done and shared with strangers or your friends with out speaking a word.  It's truly soul lifting.  Let it grow really delivered that expected high energy closer for this era.  The place erupted with energy.  Dancing and smiling ensued.  I saw a lot of happy people.  

The show and its experience only got bigger and better in the 2nd set.  Rude says he grooved Samson harder than he ever as.  I was deep in the crowd so I won't say I grooved my hardest but I could feel a connection to those around me.  I know if we truly want to tear this building down we need to do it together.  I'm not Samson I can't do it alone, but the time for renovation is past us.  We need to tear this building down and build a new.  We were really shaking and rattling are bones.  I generally don't care to be in close quarters.  It requires a higher level of concentration and greater degree of skill to dance while weaving in and out of the tight spaces found in a packed crowd.  Its impossible to dance full tilt like that, but I had so much fun dancing with everyone.  I was getting high fives in between songs.  The crowd here in Providence was really engaged in the show and boogied hard all night long.  I'm sure the band was appreciative.  We definitely appreciated the music reaching into the cosmos and pulling on our heart strings.  Tonight was definitely one of those night where the music plays the band.  Every song was full of energy with tons of cohesion and touch of that special psychedelic recklessness that I find only the music of the GD really contains.  Ship of Fools was moving and was probably the closest I got to completely detaching myself from my current state and reaching for Nirvana.  However, the pain in my heart is too deep right now to really release all the way and let the world disappear completely.  Estimated was probably the most psychedelic aspect of the show, but I think slowed the energy for some a touch.  Maybe that was just me or maybe some others were just getting ready for the explosion into eyes.  The transition felt a little jumbled to me, but I loved weaving in and out of the crowd during Estimated.  Sharing glances of kaleidoscope eyes that project the dreams and passions of one's soul.  Eyes was back to the 2nd tier for a more full tilt get down experience.  The crowd really got into this one.  The attentive standers even showed off some of their best two steps and we all seemed to find are happy place.  A centered space.  Drums was a quick smoke break.  I missed the family drums.  It would've been nice to see the crew get involved but the smoke break suited me just fine.  Going down the road couldn't have been more fitting.  I am back going down the road feeling bad.  I will be okay though.  I'm back home.  I could feel the road a calling for a while.  It was time to answer the call.  We made the right decision.  We just couldn't keep treating each other this way.  I disengaged for the great ripping rockers at the end.  Around and Around blew the roof off, but I took a seat with Ellie.  I didn't really get back up for US Blues. I did think of my dad and do a little dancing during the Box.  

All in all this was my best overall experience at a show since Cleveland.  I really could get caught up in hyperbole when reviewing this show.  I really can't think of a bad thing to say about the music or the dance all night.  Things really came together beautifully tonight.  Thank you DSO for a real good time.

On another note and not the most positive of experiences.  Nitrous has made a big showing here following the Jubilee.  I don't want to call anyone mafia or even really rag on anyone for making a buck.  I wish kids would wise up and drives price down by refusing to pay 10 dollars for a cheap thrill and cheap gas.  Don't get my wrong I like the stuff myself, but not at that rate.  No way.  However, like I said, I won't hate on someone for making a buck.  Their job is to sell it to you for as much as you'll pay.  Its a business.  It does disturb me that for the most part I don't think the people vending this stuff were inside at the show, but thats also really no worries.  The fight I saw outside was plain fucking unacceptable.  Some kid felt burned for a 130 dollars.  I don't know the whole story.  He probably was robbed for 130 dollars.  Desperate people do desperate things.  Nitrous venders aren't always the most honest of people, but there are bad apples in every profession.  The problem really stems from the kids inability to swallow his pride.  Take the loss.  He came at that group aggressively.  I'm pretty sure he even put one of the guys on the ground, but it was eventually 6 on 1 and he was on the ground.  I put myself out there.  My friends have challenged and debated the wisdom of getting involved.  I definitely could've got caught up in the scrum, but I do think I helped separate them.  Who knows what happened after we left.  When the Uber showed up, my involvement ended.  I did let them know how stupid this all was.  The one group was making money and don't need cops on the scene.  The other kid was running the risk of really getting hurt.  6 on 1 isn't where you want to find yourself.  The larger group did agree to get back to business if he went away.  I hope he was wise enough to walk away.  Its just not worth it.  

I thought I would share that story.  It wasn't the greatest way to end the night, but nothing could take away the bliss after that show. I really felt the music rattle my core and brighten my spirit.  I feel like a load has been lifted.  I'm walking lighter now despite the blisters.  The magic, mystery, and mysticism of the GD was definitely shared tonight.  Thank you DSO for channeling the spirit of the GD and enriching my soul.  I will see you in Hampton for some more soul lifting.  Then I'm off until KC.  I just can't make the first 3 of the next little mini run, but you guys will definitely be seeing more of me.  My spirit for the road is as bright as ever and the need for some form of responsible balance in life is gone.  I know I failed to really find that.  Going from 80 shows to 40 shows a year isn't really balance.

I failed in a lot of ways, but thats another story for a more private space.  Some of you have already heard some of the story and I really appreciate the love and support I've received from the community.  I hope some of you reach out to Jen and extend her some love and support.  This is her community too.  I truly love you guys.  Thank you for all you've done for me from the bottom of my heart.  I'm blown away by the closeness I share with people that in many ways I hardly know.

Thank you Providence.  The experience inside the show really helped restore my faith in the general community that I haven't had the pleasure of making their acquaintance yet.  I couldn't be more happy to see people spanning several generations sharing in the sacred communion of music and dance.  This was just what I needed.

Love is Real

• Forum MVP

Please be careful in Hampton Beach...

Including myself...

Advice: do not mock/taunt police...

Please heed the Sage advice.  The Po-Po will be front-and-center around this area.  Don't take unnecessary risks of driving around this place after the sun goes down - trouble will find you.

Have fun!  

• Forum MVP

Please be careful in Hampton Beach...

Including myself...

Advice: do not mock/taunt police...

Please heed the Sage advice. The Po-Po will be front-and-center around this area. Don't take unnecessary risks of driving around this place after the sun goes down - trouble will find you.

Have fun!

We have a whole block to walk to the venue. My hotel skills for Hampton were better than my providence miscalculation. Not sure how the hotel 1.1 miles supposedly from Lupos was really 8.5 miles. I was like this 4.00 uber will be on me and it was more like 20.00. But on the way back we got someone to install uber for the free ride back.

• Forum MVP

MC shares tales of truth. Love to read hearts , feel the life of others beyond our simple social graces!! Talking about the weather, unless weather report, is just face value. Thanks for putting it out there, and thanks for sharing my own review.

The night was amazing, the dance party was amazing!!!! I love 69 and it runs my blood for that psychedelic server, but my legs jump for last night.

Providence, u might not of showed up in huge numbers, but those that showed up, biggies their bums of. What a different vibe from Boston. Providence, u made Boston look like armatures!!!

• Forum MVP

Supply and demand dictates profession. You may think prostitution is immoral. I do too in some ways. Oldest profession out there. Spreads disease. I don't like the nitrous people. I think they bring nasty energy to a scene I'm very much a member of. It reflects poorly on all of us but we must educate the user not fight the supplier. Drug wars don't work. Some hippies can be diagnosed oppositionally defiant. Many more you would say have issues with authority. Fighting the source and illegalization makes some people myself included want to do it more. The illegalization makes it more appealing to some. Educate the user. Don't by their balloons and encourage others not to do so. We can be the change. The day they show up and sell less than 20 balloons will be the last day you see them. Not the day you yell scream and tell them how nasty you think they are. I won't even do that I would never judge some one trying to find a way to survive in this world as long as all participants are willing actors. I don't know what it means to walk in their shoes or how they got where they are today.

Robbie Robertson once wrote and jerry occasionally sang we all have trials and tribulations. I say we are on different points of life multidimensional curves.

I have some morals and convictions too. Dont get me wrong I wish them gone. But my morals are for me. I can't try to shove them down your throat. You won't even listen. Some advice some compassion sprinkled with love may lead to the right education. I know some will say people here to dumb to learn. I refuse to accept that.

Love is real

Archived