Corrina >

Cryptical >

Drumz >

Other One >

Dear Mr. Fantasy >

Visions >

Sugar Mag

E: Werewolves

Song of the evening goes to a fantastic Tangled Up.  Note the surprise transition from Box, which many people, including myself, thought was going to end the set.  There were other surprise segues: Mystery Train after Mama, and Cryptical out of Corrina?!  Great stuff.  That was yet another scorching Fire (sorry, bad pun, but totally accurate) courtesy of Jeff. Also note all the Dylan songs.  I expected a Baby Blue encore as the icing on the proverbial cake.  Good times in the Burgh.

Edit:  Whoa.. when I type the acronym B-I-O-D-T-L (without the hyphens) it automatically changes it to the words you see above.  Technology!

Just look at the setlist.  Great show!!!!

So Many Roads!!!

Mystery Train!!!!!

Visions of Johanna!!!!!!!

Chimes of Freedom (Oh my God Lisa!!!)

More on this tomorrow.  They did tease Mexicali out of Mama Tried didn't they?

Lisa absolutely dropped jaws with that Chimes! Jeff certainly eased my soul during Roads! Mama Tried>Mystery Train was a blast and really started to get the place moving, didn't catch no Mexicali tease tho. Skip delivered a nice Box Of Rain followed by an absolute next level Tangled, great start!

Funky Stranger, a super psychedelic Scarlet>Fire, then back to the funk with Corrina! Cryptical>drums>Other One, right on! Great set, with a Werewolves encore complete with Jeff calling for howls from the crowd, awesome!

Just one last note on that Chimes, WOW LISA, JUST WOW! truly a patriotic moment! Thanks DSO!

• Forum MVP

Mystery train is my new white whale. I've heard Jeff do it in some jgb sets, but don't think I've heard DSO do it. Love that song and would love to hear it live by DSO. Yes Dr. B you have a point. No way to experience this without the elective repertoire.

Doesn't this forever settle the recreation vs. elective question?

Dr. B

In my mind, the elective vs recreation debate isn’t all that debatable.  For me, it’s very similar to hoping for specific eras.  Up until early this year I’d go to shows hoping to hear certain years or era’s based on what I’ve already seen DSO perform, personal preferences, and my particular mood.  But DSO is capable of delivering something absolutely incredible regardless of what style/era they choose to play from.  I stopped hoping for them to play certain things and now just hope that they are on fire.

The same goes for recreation vs elective.  When the boys are on, they’re on.  And when they’re reaching other levels, they’re reaching other levels.  Doesn’t really matter era, recreation or elective, time and space can be transcended.  Some of the most legendary DSO shows were recreations, were they not?

Now what is really awesome about DSO electives is that they draw from GD’s & JGB’s entire repertoire.  Anyone who has perused a DeadBase knows GD used to do some really creative things with their setlists back in the day.  But for whatever reason, due to age, lack of inspiration, drugs, etc. the setlists became increasingly less creative in the later years.  I think it’s safe to say that this was really frustrating for all Dead Heads because with the repertoire they had amassed by then, they could have really done some creative and special things with their setlists.  DSO does in their electives what I always hoped and dreamed the Grateful Dead would do during the years I was lucky enough to be on that bus.

• Forum MVP

Mystery train is a perfect 2nd song to a country combo.  If the 1st didnt get the sweat pouring, mystery train sure would and if it didnt then you aint dancin properly!

And even though I love electives, that 76 in Milwaukee, Dr B, was a pretty freaking cool dead setlist.  2 sandwiches in a row 2nd set.  I used to sit and analyze so much, but in Milwaukee I was so lost in thought that after those 2 sandwiches, I thought it was an elective.  Starting with Tennessee Jed threw me as I think the dead only did it once and I didnt pick up on that so I assumed it was an elective.  I also thought that chicago was an april 77 until 4th street as well as thinking the show with the dead's final mission was an elective since Missions were so rare.  Lets just agree that they all are fun to watch :)

Mystery train is a perfect 2nd song to a country combo.  If the 1st didnt get the sweat pouring, mystery train sure would and if it didnt then you aint dancin properly!

It was so great to hear coming out of Mama Tried because I thought they were going into Mexicali or Big River.  I'd like to listen to the tape because I swear they teased one of those two songs before going into Mystery Train.  Maybe it was my own paranoia - not that I dislike those tunes, but inserting one of them after Mama would have been snooze worthy when compared to Mystery Train.  Probably the most memorable part of the show next to Lisa shaking the mortar loose with Chimes.

Archived