Greensboro

Tea

• Forum MVP
7 hours ago, PoetryGirl said:

Happy cosmic time warping! Time to empty yourself and fill it up again. 

One big happy, sweaty, cramp.  11/23/79

F:  Just in Case We Both Were Wrong

Thanks to DSO and crew for a great nite!

• Forum MVP

Golden Hall, Community Concourse

San Diego 11/23/79

Alabama Getaway-> Promised Land, They Love Each Other, Me & My Uncle-> Big River, High Time, Minglewood Blues, Stagger Lee, Easy To Love You, Looks Like Rain-> Deal

The Music Never Stopped-> Sugaree, Estimated Prophet-> Eyes Of The World-> Drums-> Not Fade Away-> Black Peter-> Good Lovin', E: U.S. Blues

Think

It was a cosmic time warp lol. Tea got a birthday show 🎉 He probably felt 8 at times last night. 

Only 2 HT-> MING from 79-82 I found 

• Forum MVP

My apologies for the forthcoming blog – It’s clear I don’t get out nearly enough anymore….

What a strong show!  While my sample-size of late is almost too small to provide any meaningful context, I’ve strung enough together over the years to know when they’ve hit their collective strides.  

The Venue was a nice fixed-seating (not so nice) theatre.   The staff was pretty laissez-faire which was much appreciated.  While, I got the feeling that while they would have preferred a wine-and-cheese crowd, they obviously knew what they were getting and were more focused on safety than enforcement.  The crowd was for the most part respectful save for the usual talkers, drunks, and singers - nothing too pervasive save for 1 little dustup.  Pockets of nothing but dance were easy to navigate to.

I spent the 1st set in the small orchestra pit right up front.  Alabama > Promised was a welcome starter combo.  They hit their marks although the sound was a little delicate to start things off.  TLEO provided a little more lift and the sound began to round into form.  MAMU > Big River was really FAST!  While good, the pace seemed to hasten the conclusion – another couple loops would have been ideal.

Then came one of the highlights in the first set – High Time!  The band took it’s time with this one just as they should.  Jeff pleaded the vocals at first and then had the perfect enunciations to go along with a driving bass and drums.  Skip’s volume seemed to double during this which added another dimension of texture that paired perfectly with what the band was expressing!  I was really happy to see them do this and it looked like they were pretty happy with the results.    Minglewood was a raunchy-romp!  Great slide and vocals from Eaton, and an almost Samson-like beat from the drummers and Skip!  Barraco’s  keys stole the song for me though!  A drawn-out bluesy funk that just kept building on itself which created the perfect point-of-entry for the rest of the band to bring the mother home!   

Stagger Lee was excellent!  It doesn’t get played very often and I think I can count the ones I’ve seen on one hand.  An almost marching cadence with colorful loops and crafted turns.   Skip was grinning with this one!   His layers were all expertly-timed – he muscled his way in, fell into line, and then punched back through to put it over the top.   I’ll admit:  I missed most of Easy to Love you.  Not because I had to piss but because I was getting pissed.  The only real time of the night I totally disengaged.  Some joker thought I was trying to make time with his woman!  Have you seen me?  I’m in the treetops looking for kites and this guy’s looking for fights.  WTF?  His lady assured him that he was way off-base and told him over and over to stand down.  He finally did but told her he wasn’t going to apologize for getting in my face.   I laughed out loud when she winked at me while leading him away.   

LLR was compact and tight.  This one featured some great gallops and fills but Eatons vocal punctuation sealed the deal.  I thought he might need some green tea to lubricate his box – I see you Steph.   

The DEAL went down!  Check that:  It went down, around, inside and out!  A quadruple crest and a fan or three later, I needed to replace the torrents of water that I wrung out of my shirt AND of the zip-up around my waist.  It was literally a 2-wringer that felt like a 3.

I’m breaking forum protocol and mores by posting the 1st set review for now.  I’ve had a good run today but my luck has run out compliments of an angry boss and anxious clients.  I’ll plug back in and give you the other half of the meal at my next opportunity.  Until then…..then.

• Forum MVP

Hello again Friends.

2nd Set

Disclaimer:  This experience was uniquely my own and under no external influence if that even matters.

Setbreak in the smoking area featured:  Big smiles, Belly Laughs, Belly Coughs, and an interesting mix of eyes that were either squinty or saucers - as far as the eye could see.  Greensboro’s finest took a peek through the glass doors to keep everyone honest.  Faces frozen in unison for a few seconds until he turned away with a smile and a shake of the head.   The people watching here was better than most WalMart’s .

The Music started with Music.  Big Fat Silky melodies just climbing the ladder rung by rung.  The anticipation of riding the top of that wave got cast in an unexpected direction - the biggest part of the big finish never came.  The music never stopped – it just became Sugaree!  WOW.  The really cool thing about this Sugaree is that the frothy frenzy that starts to dominate the end of Music was solidly-stamped all over and inside of this Sugaree.   I believe my exact text to the faithful was:  “Was that Sugaree or another Deal ?”  From heavy-metal to pin-drop – all in the same song.  I know Sugaree has its crash at the end but this thing was getting shredded from top-to-bottom.  Totally weird - by the end of it, I had the strength of a hundred men but still had to fight the urge to sit down.  Don’t worry too much, it’ll happen to you.

Estimated - let’s call it up-tempo.  Despite the pace, it began to feel like there was going to be a collective exhale - Eaton wasn’t having any of that.  Guttural howls of pitch and tone gonna light my wayyyyyyyyyy!   The band just synched together out of will and obvious muscle-memory and flat out crushed it - Just ridiculous.

Since I’m on the topic of ridiculous, now would be a good time to mention Eyes….plus it was the next song.  I try to dance to everything – I didn’t say well.   The key here is that I’ll always at least try.  This double-speed Eyes eventually made me completely stop dancing.  No - not because of exhaustion or dehydration (check and check).  It got so out-of-control that I just had to stop and watch – I didn’t even give myself the choice.  It was like the most beautifully-intense car-wreck you’ve ever seen!  Wait – that came out wrong.  Anyway… how the hell did they do that?  Rhetorical question I guess.

Full disclosure:  I may have missed most of drums and space as I was having a very important conversation with someone about something. 

I’m going to admit it:  I don’t really like NFA – I used to, I just don’t anymore.  I have seen and heard my fair share of ‘em and eventually through rote, my appreciation got zapped.  Thank God for last night then! 

In keeping with the theme if this ridiculous post, I must pause yet again – sorry.  That said, I have to get this out - no choice.  The rest is on the way. 

• Forum MVP

Always in for a good miglewooding time but what exactly would we do later on? U know, just in case we both were wrong?!?!

every post I read I get more excited.... y'all know I can barely read the forums when I'm lonesome n a long way but now that I'm poised for flight I'm so very captivated. Into the sun........

• Forum MVP

Hello Friends - It's Masters week after all! 

Where was I?  Oh yeah - spouting seemingly useless dribble about a show that many might think was not nearly as good as my experience suggests - ok cool!

NFA.  I used to call it 'Not F**king Again' in the GD days since it seemed like it was played every other show.   I probably missed some shredders (for 90-93) because I couldn't get over myself.  Oh well.

This NFA featured a short but nice build outta Space.  Given the songs had preceded this and the guess for the year, I thought it might be Miracle.  Nope, NFA.  I was obviously having a great show so the selection didn’t take the wind outta my sails.  I’ve seen DSO do some doozies and this one may not have reached that class.  Vocals were spot-on, timing was excellent, sound was rich, what was missing?  Lisa?  Maybe.  Was it my pre-conceived NFA notions?  Maybe.  I think I know what it was – it was too short!  As the band started to stretch its legs on this one, I had the sense that it was falling apart.  That sense was quickly replaced by the thought that it was melting (remember - I was not).   I was right - it melted some more, slowed way down, and then eased ever so slightly into Black Peter.

That song has a spell on me.  I’m so wrapped up by the tone, the meaning, the message.  Honestly - It’s tough to be objective about what I heard.  I was listening intently of course but the expression just simply took me to another place – far, far away from where I was.   I imagine that everyone on here has had those moments at a show.  The song held messages about the brutal honesty of truth, the desire for connections that are real when you really need them, and the battle between pity and hope.  YMMV.  Jeffs loudly passionate calls to Run and See snapped me out of my trance just in time to hear the blues-soaked weave through the depths and the heights.

Before I could get volleyed back into introspective-mode as Black Peter was dissolving, we get the rolling intro by Eaton for Good Lovin!  That picked me up so nicely and it was off to the races – it made me want to jump and spin so that’s exactly what I did!  Achy, sweaty, smiley just goin as fast as I could until the closing salvo simply threw me in the air like a pile of confetti.  I was everywhere .

I caught me breath halfway through US Blues.  I worked up to it but by the time I was at full-throttle again I only heard, My oh My oh, My, oh My!!!!!  And it was done – I was done.

We get the show announcement and time for one more.  Here comes the Lisa mic!!!!  Yay!!!  THINK.  More Blues/funk.  High-Octane fuel with this one!  I was gassed so I just stood still and marveled at how bleeping tight this band was.  It got downright rowdy - Simply Spellbinding.

Next thing I know, I’m in the car and headed back home to catch the 5am early-bird father and husband gig.  Probably took in a good gallon of water on the lonely ride home – I needed every drop.

Let me close by saying this:  Check your wants and expectations at the door.  Having a bad day?  Did somebody wrong?  Somebody did you wrong?  Check that stuff at the door too - It will all be there when you come out except for the stuff you choose to leave with your sweat on the dance-floor.

Thanks for putting up with this diarrhea of the brain.  It had been a long-time comin after a stupid layoff and I had to get it out there – no choice.  Thanks to Ron for the canvas.  Sorry for the blog – love you all.                   

Archived