DesertDead

• Forum MVP

83/10/15  Hartford Civic Center,  Hartford, CT

Feel Like A Stranger, Dire Wolf, Minglewood,

Brown-Eyed Women, Big RR Blues, Let It Grow,

Day Job.

China Cat Sunflower>I Know You Rider, Playin'

In the Band>China Doll>Drums>Space>

St. Stephen>Throwin' Stones>One More Sat. Night.

E:  Brokedown Palace.

Stephen #2 of the 83 breakouts, a total of 3 plays

before the song was reshelved.  (MSG, Hartford,

Marin County Auditorium)  A touring friend's first

two shows were MSG and this show, he told the

story of asking friends after this performance

"What, do they play this St. Stephen song every show?" 

We should be that lucky.

It was 38 years ago today.

Praise DSO.

• Like (+1) 3

• Forum MVP

When I was first shown the light, still in training, my roommate from college told me, forget St. Stephen, they’ll never play it. Those three performances slipped under my radar. Mind you, this was pre internet, cellphones. That knowledge stayed so far from me until I was recently educated here on forums. It’s still surreal for me. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • Forum MVP

90/10/24  Sport Halle,  Hamburg, Germany

Feel Like A Stranger, Cold Rain and Snow, Little

Red Rooster, They Love Each Other, Me and My

Uncle>Big River, West LA Fadeaway, Queen Jane,

Iko.

Help on the Way>Slipknot>Franklin's Tower,

Truckin'>He's Gone>D>S>I Need A Miracle>

The Wheel>Goin' Down the Road>Round and Round.

E:  US Blues.

We reach the halfway point of the Europe 90 tour,

with a slightly ragged performance at what that

night felt like a tiny room.  I cherish several memory

burn moments from this show, which was spent

on the rail wide open and absorbing every ounce

of energy from the stage.

Praise DSO.

• Like (+1) 5

• Forum MVP

77/10/29  Evans Field House,  NIU,  DeKalb, IL

Might As Well, Jack Straw, Dire Wolf, Looks Like Rain,

Loser, El Paso, Ramble On Rose, Minglewood,

Must Have Been the Roses, Let It Grow.

Bertha>Good Lovin', Friend of the Devil, Estimated

Prophet>Eyes of the World>Space>Drums>St.

Stephen>Not Fade Away>Black Peter>

Sugar Magnolia.

E:  One More Saturday Nite.

Today brings this performance in the middle

Fall 77 tour.  The boys are really dialed in on

this night, killer versions and energy

throughout, an deserted island show for sure.

The entire show has revealed itself at BDPs,

(post Drums BDP3, pre drums BDP8, first set

BDP15).  Is Dave's Picks 33.

Gold, Jerry, Gold.

It was 44 years ago today.

Enjoy the Revue in Denver this evening.

Praise DSO.

• Like (+1) 4

• Forum MVP

79/11/05  The Spectrum,  Philadelphia, PA

China Cat Sunflower>I Know You Rider, Cassidy,

Friend of the Devil, El Paso, Passenger, Stagger Lee,

Peggy-o, Music Never Stopped.

Althea, Easy to Love You, Eyes of the World>Estimated

Prophet>Franklin's Tower>Drums>Space>Lost Sailor>

Saint of Circumstance>Sugar Magnolia.

E:  Casey Jones.

The China Cat  opener a thing on Late Fall 79 tour,

happening three times.  Nice start to the show.

Second set loaded with GTH material, second set

opener Althea a first, a total of four, the other

three occurring in 1980.  Stand alone

Franklin's and Bob packed post space.  

It was 42 years ago today.

Praise DSO.

• Thanks (+1) 1

• Forum MVP

Don’t forget Stagger Lee, Peggy-O. Back to back Jerry tunes. They broke rhythm there. I’m always intrigued by the Spectrum set lists from before I started being a regular attendee there. I think of what I was doing then, before I discovered the Grateful Dead. Thanks, Bill. 

• Forum MVP

11/5/77 Rochester NY 

My third GD show (5/4/77,  Englishtown)

Lost in Rochester….bad part of town…asked for directions to war memorial…”you mean where that sing along dance band is playin?”

Bingo!

Still have entire tickets stub due to glass breaking gate crash caused by idiot venue processes…

Still remember Weir gyrations….

• New Minglewood Blues
    Mississippi Half-Step
    Looks Like Rain
    Dire Wolf
    Mama Tried
    Big River
    Candyman
    Jack Straw
    Deal

Eyes of the World
    Samson and Delilah
    It Must Have Been the Roses
    Estimated Prophet
    He's Gone
    drums
    The Other One
    Black Peter
    Sugar Magnolia

One More Saturday Night

•  
  • Like (+1) 3

• Forum MVP

Interesting. Another estimated, he’s gone. I was checking out 11/04/79 this morning. Got an estimated, he’s gone there too. I was blown away by the beginning of he’s gone. Like I’ve never heard before. Thought they might be fighting over what to play, gotta listen again. Tune clocks in at 21:47.

• Like (+1) 3

• 4 weeks later...
  • Forum MVP

71/12/10  Fox Theatre,  St. Louis, MO

Set One

Bertha, Me and My Uncle, Mr. Charlie, Loser,

BIODTL, Sugaree, Jack Straw, Next Time,

El Paso, Tennessee Jed, Big RR Blues, Casey Jones.

Set Two

Good Lovin', Brokedown Palace, Playin' in the Band,

Run Rudolph Run, Deal, Sugar Magnolia, Comes A

Time, Truckin'>Drums>Other One>Sitting on Top of

the World>Other One>Not Fade Away>China Cat jam>

GDTRFB>Not Fade Away.

E:  One More Saturday Night.

final China Cat jam

A show included in the new St. Louis box set.

One of the last Top of the Worlds, the Other

One sandwich a frequent occurrence in late

1971.  Waiting patiently to be played in a BDP.

Praise DSO.

• Like (+1) 1

• Forum MVP

88/12/11  Long Beach Arena,  Long  Beach, CA

Set One

Iko, Jack Straw, Row Jimmy, Queen Jane,

Bird Song, Hell In A Bucket.

Set Two

Box of Rain, Victim>Foolish Heart, Women

Are Smarter>Drums>Space>Miracle>

Dear. Mr. Fantasy>Hey Jude Finale>

Black Muddy River>Sugar Magnolia.

E:  Mighty Quinn.

The item that caught my eye was the

placement of the BMR.  Of the 66 total

plays 9 migrated to the second set.  Of 

those 9, only 2 seeped into the Jerry

ballad slot (&87/3/29 Spectrum, Greg).

Rarely hear much about these shows.

Let us celebrate every time the 

Big Man took the stage.

Praise DSO.

• Like (+1) 1

• Forum MVP

Black muddy River and push/shove got debuted during the New Years run that year. I’m guessing they were still finding a home for it which turned out to be the encore slot. Yea, that Spectrum show gave me little red rooster and the wheel firsts for me. Bobby broke a string and left the stage for the beginning of the wheel so Jerry did some extended noodling, worth a listen! 

• Like (+1) 2

• Forum MVP

A little late for the 12/12 anniversary but this was right near the top as the best GD show I ever saw.  Ruby put me 3rd row - right in front of Jerry.  Never had better seats (that were assigned to me anyway):

https://archive.org/details/gd1990-12-12.sbd.miller.109289.flac16

Set 1

Touch Of Gray-> Greatest Story Ever Told, Candyman, Walkin' Blues, Loose Lucy, Mexicali Blues-> Maggie's Farm, Queen Jane Approximately, Deal

Set 2

China Cat Sunflower-> I Know You Rider, Looks Like Rain, Iko Iko, Dark Star-> Terrapin Station-> Drums-> Jam-> All Along The Watchtower-> Stella Blue-> Throwing Stones-> Not Fade Away, E: The Weight

• Like (+1) 3

• Forum MVP

Well Shit - Better put the others up:

1990/12/13 - McNichols Arena, Denver, CO

https://archive.org/details/gd1990-12-13.sbd.miller.108981.flac16

Set 1

Jack Straw-> Sugaree, Wang Dang Doodle, Friend Of The Devil, Me & My Uncle-> Big River, Ramble On Rose, Memphis Blues, Valley Road

Set 2

Help On The Way-> Slipknot!-> Franklin's Tower, Saint Of Circumstance, Eyes Of The World-> Drums-> Jam-> The Other One-> Morning Dew-> Box Of Rain, E: U.S. Blues

The playing on Ramble On Rose is a pretty good barometer for how Jerry was feeling.  An absolute stunner with the St of Circumstance followed by a Turbo-Eyes.  Morning Dew had great potential but Jerry somehow skipped the end - I guess it doesn't matter :)   They made up for it by launching into Box to close the set. 

1990/12/14 - McNichols Arena, Denver, CO

https://archive.org/details/gd1990-12-14.sbd.miller.89127.sbeok.flac16

Set 1:
Shakedown Street, Picasso Moon, Peggy-O, Little Red Rooster, Stagger Lee, When I Paint My Masterpiece, To Lay Me Down, Let It Grow

Set 2:
Victim Or The Crime -> Foolish Heart -> Man Smart, Woman Smarter -> He's Gone -> Drums -> Space -> Dark Star (v2) -> I Need A Miracle -> Wharf Rat -> Turn On Your Lovelight

Encore:
Knockin' On Heaven's Door

As great as 12/12 + 12/13 were, I think 12/14 is right there even though the setlist wasn't as thrilling for some.  You want the goods?  Give that To Lay Me Down a spin.  I think it's a hair better than MSG 9/18/90.  Serious Phil Bombs during LIG with an earth rattler at the end.  Here's more goods: The solo in Foolish Heart is just perfect,  The Woman R Smarter is usually not my cup of tea but this one is amazing!  Just listen to it.  AND Finally:  More Goods?  Check out Jerry's solo during Knockin - it's like no other Knockin I've ever heard.  Do yourselves a favor and put this one on - it has Tea's seal of approval 😁

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Tea said:

Well Shit - Better put the others up:

1990/12/13 - McNichols Arena, Denver, CO

https://archive.org/details/gd1990-12-13.sbd.miller.108981.flac16

Set 1

Jack Straw-> Sugaree, Wang Dang Doodle, Friend Of The Devil, Me & My Uncle-> Big River, Ramble On Rose, Memphis Blues, Valley Road

Set 2

Help On The Way-> Slipknot!-> Franklin's Tower, Saint Of Circumstance, Eyes Of The World-> Drums-> Jam-> The Other One-> Morning Dew-> Box Of Rain, E: U.S. Blues

The playing on Ramble On Rose is a pretty good barometer for how Jerry was feeling.  An absolute stunner with the St of Circumstance followed by a Turbo-Eyes.  Morning Dew had great potential but Jerry somehow skipped the end - I guess it doesn't matter :)   They made up for it by launching into Box to close the set. 

1990/12/14 - McNichols Arena, Denver, CO

https://archive.org/details/gd1990-12-14.sbd.miller.89127.sbeok.flac16

Set 1:
Shakedown Street, Picasso Moon, Peggy-O, Little Red Rooster, Stagger Lee, When I Paint My Masterpiece, To Lay Me Down, Let It Grow

Set 2:
Victim Or The Crime -> Foolish Heart -> Man Smart, Woman Smarter -> He's Gone -> Drums -> Space -> Dark Star (v2) -> I Need A Miracle -> Wharf Rat -> Turn On Your Lovelight

Encore:
Knockin' On Heaven's Door

As great as 12/12 + 12/13 were, I think 12/14 is right there even though the setlist wasn't as thrilling for some.  You want the goods?  Give that To Lay Me Down a spin.  I think it's a hair better than MSG 9/18/90.  Serious Phil Bombs during LIG with an earth rattler at the end.  Here's more goods: The solo in Foolish Heart is just perfect,  The Woman R Smarter is usually not my cup of tea but this one is amazing!  Just listen to it.  AND Finally:  More Goods?  Check out Jerry's solo during Knockin - it's like no other Knockin I've ever heard.  Do yourselves a favor and put this one on - it has Tea's seal of approval 😁

Picasso AND Victim on the same show?  Ouch!

• Sad (neutral) 1
  • Dislike (-1) 1

• Forum MVP
2 hours ago, Tea said:

You’re right, not worth it - what was I thinking?  The whole show was crap - Pass Go - collect $200.  

Um, I’d like a redaction of the redaction.

The show opens with Shakedown, so we’re already way ahead of the curve.  Rooster, Stagger Lee, To Lay Me Fucking Down, and LIG.

Then a Foolish, a Dark Star (don’t diminish because of V2, that’s nonsense), and Wharf Rat, and a Lovelight…

And we’re looking down our noses at this show?!

Picasso does have stupid lyrics, but the music isn’t that bad.  Victim is awesome.  Not every song can be the Wheel.

So as I said, please take back the take back!

(I love our annual visit to the McNichols run, Tea 😎, sick shows, Brother)

• Like (+1) 2

15, 16, 17 Dec 1986  Oakland Coliseum

The Grateful Dead's first show(s) following Jerry's diabetic coma in July 86. I attended these three shows, there was a big question mark in the parking lot as to what song they'd open with. I guessed US Bluz (Gimme five, I am still alive!). But the boys chose Touch of Gray.  When Jerry sang out I Will Get By, I Will Survive! That was pure magic that still gives me goosebumps as I listen to that set and write this today!

https://liveforlivemusic.com/news/jerry-garcia-grateful-dead-12-15-1986/

• Like (+1) 2

• Forum MVP
11 hours ago, DesertDead said:

Um, I’d like a redaction of the redaction.

The show opens with Shakedown, so we’re already way ahead of the curve.  Rooster, Stagger Lee, To Lay Me Fucking Down, and LIG.

Then a Foolish, a Dark Star (don’t diminish because of V2, that’s nonsense), and Wharf Rat, and a Lovelight…

And we’re looking down our noses at this show?!

Picasso does have stupid lyrics, but the music isn’t that bad.  Victim is awesome.  Not every song can be the Wheel.

So as I said, please take back the take back!

(I love our annual visit to the McNichols run, Tea 😎, sick shows, Brother)

Thanks, DD.  I appreciate the sentiment.  In all honesty, I became a bit cool on the Victim > Foolish combo.  They began to play it a ton and I got to the point that I was just chasing whales.  Felt the same way for Throwin Stones > NFA.  They were just taking valuable real estate away from the stuff I really loved.  Right before Jerry passed I really felt like began to accept all of it (except maybe Samba :) ) .  

Something about that Tempe > Denver run.  It was a charmed time for me - let's just say I was flush after being hand-to-mouth for months and months.  Also - I was out-kicking my coverage by a mile 😍

• Like (+1) 1

• Forum MVP
On 12/14/2021 at 9:59 AM, Tea said:

Well I'll be dipped in shit!  I rolled my eyes at your Lay Me Down proclamation but have just cranked the Ultra Matrix. We disagree about that hair (MSG is better) but damn that 12/14 version has got the goods. 

Listened to the Knockin' as well, which I already knew was great.  While still my reference '90 Knockin' is 9/8 Pittsburgh, I agree the intensity of the solo in 12/14 is degree apart.

• Like (+1) 1

• 2 weeks later...

30/31 December, 1985  Oakland Coliseum

The Grateful Dead closed out their 20 Year Anniversary in Oakland. I got sold out of the mail order so I budgeted $100. for a ticket for each night. I scored a $20. ticket for the 30th and I found a ticket for $80. for NYE the next day. Imagine that, $80. for NYE hours before the show!!!  Anywho, in the parking lot a group of friends were handing out fliers to anyone and everyone that since is the Dead's 20 yr anniversary, and to show fan appreciation, when the band comes out for the 1st Set, clap the beat to NFA and hopefully the band will kick in and take over. So the lights dim, then the clapping began. It started in low, then it started to grow. And before long, it was as loud as you ever heard it! Then once the instruments were tuned just exactly perfect, Mickey pounded them skins to the primal beat!  Talk about "and the music played the band!" In another thread, there is talk about best openers, well this episode gets my vote, not necessarily for the song (NFA) itself but the magic behind it justifies my vote! 

Also, during one of the set breaks, Bill Graham and crew had set up a volleyball net behind the sound board. Bill and his crew would actually play volleyball against people from different states!  Over the PA they would call out that we need 6 people from Florida or wherever, then they'd play. I am from New York and was thrilled when they called NY to stand by, I jumped at the chance.  I had to show my license as proof of my residency then I got to play v-ball in front of 20,000 friends. I sucked but that is not the point. After the match we all shook hands and returned to our seats. So I got to shake hands with the legendary Uncle BoBo and man talk about a great time!

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thanks (+1) 1