Dear Mr. Fantasy

John A

• Forum MVP

I'd meant to post this in TDIGDH but it slipped by.  6-14-84 at Red Rocks is most notable as featuring the first Mr. Fantasy.  I read somewhere that Brent discussed with Jerry on the way to the show in the limo that he wanted to do Mr. Fantasy and Jerry was up for it.  So out it came later that night. I love that story so I hope it's true. It certainly helps explain the lack of structure seen in the early versions.

Set 2 on 6-14-84 reads Shakedown, Playin' > Fantasy.  I want to call attention to the transition out of Playin'.  It's poised to be the greatest transition into a bust out in GD history.  Knowing in retrospect that they're working into a first stab at this Traffic classic, it's utterly riveting. Then it jerks, in classic Dead "without a net" sensibility, from a slow and spell binding movement into the song to Brent coming in out of left field with the opening line.  Wild stuff and very worth a close listen.  Super first Fantasy too.  There's a great PCM soundboard circulating, and for folks who like the audience feel the Oade's made an excellent Schoeps recording that also circulates. Those are my recommended routes to crank this baby up.

Speaking generally about Mr. Fantasy, I think it peaked in the late 80s (check out 10-19-89 Philly for a particularly scintillating version). But these early rough cuts, with no real structure, are really fun rides. In fact the greatest Mr. Fantasy, IMHO, is the third appearance, at Alpine 7-6-84. For giving that one a spin there is no substitute for the relatively new PCM board that surfaced.  Massive upgrade to a well worn tape. And note the post drums sequence that night in Alpine! 

space > (greatest ever) Mr. Fantasy > Other One > Black Peter > Do It In The Road > (only time) Around Jam > Sugar Mags (e:) Touch

Definitely an Alpine Valley thing/tradition.....alpine 89 (the rain year, days of rain) they did Fantasy out of China doll, worth a listen.  The whole place was on needles from the China doll and then Fantasy came in so smoothe, I was behind the last row of pavilion seats under the speakers.  It was a split sugar mag scarlet opener(yum!)/sunshine daydream closer set w Quinn encore.   Miss alpine and being able to camp in site for shows. 

• Forum MVP
15 hours ago, joel said:

Definitely an Alpine Valley thing/tradition.....alpine 89 (the rain year, days of rain) they did Fantasy out of China doll, worth a listen.  The whole place was on needles from the China doll and then Fantasy came in so smoothe, I was behind the last row of pavilion seats under the speakers.  It was a split sugar mag scarlet opener(yum!)/sunshine daydream closer set w Quinn encore.   Miss alpine and being able to camp in site for shows. 

I was at that show and the sweet, sleepy China Doll blasted into Dear Mr Fantasy-> Hey Jude with such soul I was left utterly amazed! 

• Forum MVP

Some of the best I have ever seen was a Dear Mister Fantasy/Hey Jude at the spectrum, I'm thinking fall ‘87, not sure. The back and forth between Bobby and Brent was just so sweet. 
 Dear mister.........Hey Juuude........

literally both songs sung at the same time. 
yes, they are the only ones who do what they do. 

• Forum MVP
3 hours ago, Ammagamalin Crew said:

Spring tour 1989 Pittsburgh fantasy was flat, I  hate to reiterate the swellness of Cincinnati shows but the 1989 spring tour cincy fantasy is a ripper.  My first was at the 2pm daytime red Rocks shows in 1985. Sorry to have missed those 84s

Sure AC, rub some more salt in the wound of

being shut out in Cincy. I will also confirm the

scintillating version of Fantasy on 89/10/19.

Praise DSO.

Cranked it up yesterday. Hard for me to tell if this a patched board or DAT. My favorite Mr Fantasy! Incredible second set. Blown away. Dug up another very awesome show and second set is the best. Hartford Civic Center 5.10.1980.

Also listening to Alpine 7.18.1989. China Doll>Dr Mr Fantasy>Hey Jude. Killer. Play it loud. Also worth a listen is Giants Stadium 7.10.1989. Iko Iko > Watch Tower > Morning Dew > Sugar Mag > Sunshine Day Dream.

• Forum MVP
5 hours ago, XChemistry said:

Dug up another very awesome show and second set is the best. Hartford Civic Center 5.10.1980.

5-10-80 Set 2 is just insane.  And Jerry has essentially blown and entire verse of China Cat, listen to deep, narcotic laced jam that bridges China and Rider, and especially listen to the climax of Rider, which, while not especially drawn out, may have been as intense and playful as it ever got.  And from there the proceeding were wild and woolly.

5 hours ago, John A said:

5-10-80 Set 2 is just insane.  And Jerry has essentially blown and entire verse of China Cat, listen to deep, narcotic laced jam that bridges China and Rider, and especially listen to the climax of Rider, which, while not especially drawn out, may have been as intense and playful as it ever got.  And from there the proceeding were wild and woolly.

That China rider was awesome, just gave it a listen. The crowd goin bananas on there is great, listening to an audience recording right now, gonna go thru the second set. 

Archived