Fun with Deadbase

DesertDead

• Forum MVP
21 minutes ago, Tea said:

Memphis Blues

76 times.  And although the appearance in some “D” sets would have led to its demise here, the one time IT made its way into a second set removes any doubt.  

At the Forum on 2/12/89, Memphis Blues went into Drums.

The rarities are starting to fly!

8 minutes ago, count2 said:

Standing on the Moon?

This one is extra fun for the host.

I saw it in a first set in Hamilton on 3/21/90.

I saw it in a second set in Boston on 9/26/93.  

Both good.  🧑‍🚀

• Replies 301
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Forum MVP
45 minutes ago, Greg from Chestertown said:

Gotta be a correct answer in the acoustic sets from 1980. Sage and spirit? 

If I were on THAT side of the podium, I would definitely be looking at those acoustic sets for some of these.  🎼

Sage and Spirit, for example, appeared in one of those acoustic sets.

And its only other appearance was - might want to sit down for this - 8/13/75 in San Francisco, California.  🤯

• Forum MVP

Standing bust out was 1st set at Kaiser '89.

2 hours ago, DesertDead said:

I do have to clarify for those that do no speak Deadbase that a set is defined by 1, 2, 3, E, 1.5 (half sets), and D for Dylan (1987).   It also denotes L for electric and A for acoustic.  * is used for the only set of the show.

The eleven songs we are looking for

1.  Were played more than 10 times (get outta here, Slewfoot).  

2.  Always were played within the same “set” as defined above.

These are some tweaky parameters when adding the likes of D and A. But thinking about it, D didn't even happen 10 times so that's out. But with A, we're left to asking ourselves if songs like Katie May and Silver Threads appear on 10 lists.

I'd keep the game to 1, 2, and E, but then again I don't make these rules.  🤐

• Forum MVP
43 minutes ago, John A said:

Standing bust out was 1st set at Kaiser '89.

These are some tweaky parameters when adding the likes of D and A. But thinking about it, D didn't even happen 10 times so that's out. But with A, we're left to asking ourselves if songs like Katie May and Silver Threads appear on 10 lists.

I'd keep the game to 1, 2, and E, but then again I don't make these rules.  🤐

Ha, all good.  Just keep in mind that I didn’t “add them”, it’s all Garcia’s fault!  😜

But your point is well-taken.  I considered narrowing it down as I analyzed it, but thought we would start with the whole shootin match and, if you guys needed the help, I would provide it.  🤔

So both Katie Mae (11) and Silver Threads (17) were played > 10 times.

Katie appeared in acoustic sets that were second sets, acoustic sets that were first sets, and acoustic sets that were the only set.

Silver Threads first appeared on 5/19/66 in the middle of the second set, then in a couple of first sets, then in the sole set of the night, and then in seven acoustic sets.

So by any reasonable measure, neither of those fits cleanly into just one set status like we’re after here.

And Bob Dylan had nothing to do with it.  By the way, the five Dylan sets in 1987 (good call) did not cause a specific set assignment, but they could have prevented some song from being in only some other set.

Queen Jane is on line 2 for you...

Keep em comin’, John!  Most of these have absolutely nothing to do with the “A” or the “D” to your point.  Ignore them if you prefer.

• Forum MVP

Ok, I'll play. I bet we're looking for songs that are more contemporary, because back in the day placement was more all over the place. Although even the latter songs started somewhere else for a version or two before finding there place.

Did I Fought The Law appear 10 times?  Maybe, and if so I think it was always an encore.

I think Wharf Rat is a good choice as set 2 only so I'll posit that one. But I wouldn't be surprised if an early one snuck into set 1.

As a follow up to Mr Fantasy, the Hey Jude Coda should qualify - certainly there were at least 10 of those and they always followed Fantasy..

Were there 10 versions of I Will Take You Home? Seems it's right around that and that's set 2 only.

Days Between I think is a no-brainer - never a set 1 slot for that gem.

Corinna I think is set 2 only so I'll go with that as well.

I don't think Baba O'Riley > Tomorrow Never Knows was ever anywhere but E, but I'm not sure there were 10 of them.  But that could be two birds with one stone.

I'd guess Let The Good Times Roll, ah but I know it was part of that crazy encore 4-30-88 Frost with China>Rider.

Terrapin would be a good guess, ah but there's the bust out in San Bernardino and a couple times in the encore slot.

Mighty Quinn would be a good guess, ah but the 12-30-85 bust out opened the 2nd set.

Rain would be a good choice as E only, ah but it opened a show in MSG '93 and maybe even a second set in Cal Expo.

Does Queen Jane not count because it appeared in D as well as 1?

And Paint My Masterpiece never appeared in set 2, so that's a good choice unless they did it with Dylan (blanking on if that is true or not)?

All Along The Watchtower is a good choice, but there's the "does it qualify due to D" quandary, and moreover I think they played it in the first set with Santana at Angel's Camp '87.

Believe It Or Not would be a good set 2 guess but I think there were only 7 of them.

OK now I'm just rambling more than making guesses.  😆

• Forum MVP
52 minutes ago, Mojo Hand said:

Let the good times roll

Good to see you, Mojo.  Hope all is cool.

LTGTR opened a second set in Palo Alto on Kentucky Derby Day, 1989.  May 6.

——————-

Instead of quoting your awesome post, John, I’ll just reply here and in the following posts.  I’ll summarize after I catch up, because you have some winners!

I think IFTL might have appeared 10 times in just one show - I heard that fucking song so often, HAHAHA.  It was played 36 times, to be exact.  Always an encore except for one, fateful night on Long Island, where it opened the second set.  Good grief.

Wharf Rat was played 394 times.  To your point it is tougher for older tunes to keep their asses in one set.  It had first and second set placement early on.  Was the encore on NYE 1988.

• Forum MVP

Hey Jude Finale as DB calls it is a winner!  

Played 28 times in the second set, from 1985 to 1990.

I Will Take You Home is also a winner!

Played 34 times, always in the second set.  None more painful than the first, when it emerged out of Scarlet Begonias on 6/22/88 at Alpine.  I think I saw some hippies walking around on crutches after they stopped dancing so abruptly from that shocker.  

• Forum MVP

Great call on The Days Between.  The haunting Hunter/Garcia ballad was played 41 times, always in set two.

Corrina made its debut in Oakland on 2/23/92, closing the first set.  It went back and forth between the first and second sets a few times late winter/early spring of 1992 before settling into (mostly) second set slots.  

Baba and TNK shall kill no birds with any stones, thanks to the very last time they ever played it:  11/29/94 at that early winter Denver run that they fell into.  That second set went Iko, PITB, UJB, Baba, TNK into drums.  Trippy shit.

All of the other 11 times that they were played were as the encores.  Always together.  

Correct on Terrapin, it’s a no.

Correct on Mighty Quinn, too.  It even opened a show at the Kaiser on 3/3/87 (Quinn, GSET).

Nailed it on Rain.

Queen Jane is a no thanks to the “D”.  I was giving you that one in an above reply while you were typing this post.  But for that “D”, it would be a set one only.  But it’s not.  🙃

• Forum MVP

You’re going to want to sit down for Masterpiece.

It was played 144 times.  Never with Bob Dylan.

The only time it did not appear in a first set was its second time out.  At the Greek for Summer Solstice on 6/21/87.  During that AFTERNOON SHOW (3:00 start), Masterpiece ambled its way out of SPACE, much to the delight of a bunch of day trippers in Berkeley.  

I never knew that.

———————

Watchtower would have presented some mild annoyance because it was in a Dylan set a few times, so thankfully and as you self-identified, it closed a first set in 1987 with Carlos playing along a guest.  

You’re right about a Believe it or Not - there were only seven of them.  Once in a first set (10/21/88 in Dallas).  

Your old pal, DesertDead, saw the first Believe It or Not (6/23/88 at Alpine), and the last one (3/22/90 in Canada).

The second thing I’m going to ask Jerry when I see him is “Why didn’t you play Believe it or Not more?”

• Forum MVP

Shit, I knew that there was a Masterpiece out of space at the Greek.  Sloppy work on my part.

As for Baba > Tomorrow I'm floored by that '94 placement, although I wasn't paying much attention by the end of '94.

I can;t believe they played 36 Fought The Laws.  Good grief.

And regarding that Take You Home out of Scarlet at Alpine, I was there.  Brutal.

• Forum MVP
2 minutes ago, joel said:

Come on Brent.  Don't need love.  Love this song btw.   

Joel, you are very efficient.  😀

Don’t Need Love was always played in the second set, all 16 times of it.

Love me some Brent.  What a fucking force the guy was.

• Forum MVP

joel - Don't Need Love was certainly set 2 only, but were there 10 of them? (edit: Desert says 16 times)

I'm going to add Samba In The Rain and Long Way Home to the guess list.  Seems they were just in set 2.

• Forum MVP
10 minutes ago, John A said:

And regarding that Take You Home out of Scarlet at Alpine, I was there.  Brutal.

I thought you looked familiar.  

8 minutes ago, John A said:

joel - Don't Need Love was certainly set 2 only, but were there 10 of them?

I'm going to add Samba In The Rain and Long Way Home to the guess list.  Seems they were just in set 2.

First let’s deal with Way To Go Home.  It’s a no.  It was played 92 times.  

Three of those 92 times it was in the first set, including its first time played, Oakland 2/23/92 (followed by Black-Throated Wind and the first Corrina to close the set).

Then on 2/23/93 in Oakland, they trotted it out in the first set again, this time right after the first Broken Arrow (Johnny B followed and closed the set).  

The Palace got a first set Way To Go Home on 3/24/92 in the final show of the Spring Tour.  The other 89 times were all in the second set.  

—————

For the first time since the beginning of mankind, we can utter the words “Samba in the Rain is a winner!”  🤣

First played at Cal Expo on 6/8/94 out of Space (really?), Samba made 38 appearances, always in set two.

• Forum MVP
7 minutes ago, John A said:

There's a clue!  Broken Arrow!  Set 1 only...

Hahaha, that’s awesome.  🥳

False alarm.  The good people of Atlanta abruptly had their second set interrupted by Broken Fucking Arrow (official title) on 3/21/93.

Phil thought that went so well that he thought he’d do it to another second set a few weeks later, this time in Nassau County, New York.  4/4/93.

Rumor has it that after Spring Tour 1993 ended, Garcia told Phil that he would occasionally play Broken Fucking Arrow for him during a Grateful Dead show, but only in the first set.  

And the first set is where it went.  Forever.

• Forum MVP

How about Walkin' Blues?  That's just so damn set 1.

I was thinking there should be some encore only material but I can't think of any.  Even Werewolves opened the show in Columbia Halloween '85.

I bet there are some answers that fall into the "A" category, which will probably make the game impossible without clues.  Maybe Radio City '80 holds some winners. For example, did the likes of Been All Around This World or Rosalie McFall occur 10 times?  (The former perhaps, the latter seemingly doubtful)...then there's Heaven Help The Fool, but I don't see that as being played 10 times.

• Forum MVP
10 minutes ago, John A said:

How about Walkin' Blues?  That's just so damn set 1.

I was thinking there should be some encore only material but I can't think of any.  Even Werewolves opened the show in Columbia Halloween '85.

I bet there are some answers that fall into the "A" category, which will probably make the game impossible without clues.  Maybe Radio City '80 holds some winners.

I learned a few things that I did not know about Walkin’ Blues.  

It appeared in the first set 138 times.

But its very first time played, with Boz Scaggs and Cipollina helping out, it opened the second set.  5/28/82 at the Moscone Convention Center in SF.  It was a benefit for Vietnam Vets.

Deadbase notes that Walking Blues was played on 10/7/66, but there is no setlist on that date.

But thanks to Boz Scaggs, it’s a no.

———————

We’ll see how we fare tomorrow before we start calling for lifelines.

Tonight we have established that

1. Days Between

2. Don’t Need Love

3. Dear Mr. Fantasy

4. Hey Jude Finale

5. Take You Home

6. Samba in the Rain

were all played > 10 times and always in the second set.

That leaves us needing five more songs that were played > 10 times and always in the same set.

• Forum MVP

Desert -

I edited this to the above about Radio City:

Maybe Radio City '80 holds some winners. For example, did the likes of Been All Around This World or Rosalie McFall occur 10 times?  (The former perhaps, the latter seemingly doubtful)...then there's Heaven Help The Fool, but I don't see that as being played 10 times.

In any event, I'm out for the night.  💤

• Forum MVP
4 minutes ago, John A said:

Desert -

I edited this to the above about Radio City:

Maybe Radio City '80 holds some winners. For example, did the likes of Been All Around This World or Rosalie McFall occur 10 times?  (The former perhaps, the latter seemingly doubtful)...then there's Heaven Help The Fool, but I don't see that as being played 10 times.

In any event, I'm out for the night.  💤

See, John?  Those “A” sets worked out, after all.  😊

You just got all three of them!

7.  All Around This World (18)

8.  Rosalie McFall (16)

9.  Heaven Help the Fool (17)

are all winners!

Now we have just two more songs that were played > 10 times and always in the same set.

Nice work, John!  🥳🤩

Ok I'm gonna try this song but it may have started in second set in the mid 80s ( disclaimer ).  And there was a Dylan debate I'm not sure I got the jist of. Anyhoo .....we want Phil. We want Phil ?   •••••••tom thumbs blues?••••••

• Forum MVP
14 minutes ago, joel said:

Ok I'm gonna try this song but it may have started in second set in the mid 80s ( disclaimer ).  And there was a Dylan debate I'm not sure I got the jist of. Anyhoo .....we want Phil. We want Phil ?   •••••••tom thumbs blues?••••••

Tom Thumb’s Blues did find itself in both sets as it got started in the mid 80’s.  I had a soundboard that I played the shit out of from 11/5/85 in Worcester where it came out of Space.  I think Phil was laughing some sinister laugh before it started if I remember correctly.  Could have been me.  🤪

It was an encore once, on 11/8/87 at Kaiser.  Followed by Touch for the rare double encore.  Rex Benefit show.

———————

And to make all that remains here most clear:  neither of the two remaining songs are effected by Bob Dylan sets, and neither of them are acoustic.

They are both good ol’ Grateful Dead, played with electric guitars within normal shows.

If there is such a thing as a “normal” Grateful Dead show.  😇

Archived