Fun with Deadbase

DesertDead

• Replies 301
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Forum MVP
13 minutes ago, Greg from Chestertown said:

I’m going with Roses that I just saw some one else just guessed. What about Big River? Been guessed yet? 

John got Big River last night.

Whew.  What a fucking blast.  At least it was for me.

Here are a few that I expected to be guessed, but were left on the shelf:

Bertha (1971).  No 1975.

Candyman (1970).  No 1975.

Cold Rain and Snow (1966).  No 1975.

TLEO (1973).  No 1995.  Jer never got around to it.  😢

There were several others that didn’t make it because they missed two years, but I think we’ve gotten our money’s worth on continuity.

Thanks everyone!

I have a game lined up for you that will not only challenge you, but the premise of which will likely surprise you.

Stay tuned.

My grandmother had my uncle call her [lobby payphone?...] every time they played Roses - Now I get to do that for her at DSO.

I won't soon forget this fact about this song and can't wait to tell her.

Love that Roses completed the game as it did The Grateful Dead Movie, the credits are rolling and DesertDead’s name is rolling by, well done!! Roses is always a sweet surprise to hear in a show, surprising to see that it was played so many times (159). Always sounds to me like a song that Jerry loves to play, cool that he hung in to it until the end even as its frequency diminished. 

• Forum MVP
32 minutes ago, sml said:

My grandmother had my uncle call her [lobby payphone?...] every time they played Roses - Now I get to do that for her at DSO.

I won't soon forget this fact about this song and can't wait to tell her.

Wow.  This is so fucking cool!

30 minutes ago, Hardpan said:

Love that Roses completed the game as it did The Grateful Dead Movie, the credits are rolling and DesertDead’s name is rolling by, well done!! Roses is always a sweet surprise to hear in a show, surprising to see that it was played so many times (159). Always sounds to me like a song that Jerry loves to play, cool that he hung in to it until the end even as its frequency diminished. 

Ha, thanks Hardpan!  (Big smile.)

I agree, it is very neat that the song that was the last one we needed and seemed somehow to be rare, but as we just demonstrated, it was really there, all along the way.

Cool ish.

1 hour ago, joel said:

Smells like victory in Denver!.  Thanks for the game ....more please. 

Ha, yes, in a way, Joel.  We came full circle as it was your Not Fade Away reply for the preceding, longevity question that led me to this train of thought.

Nicely done.

BTW, not that we’re keeping score, for it was a team effort, but John named the most songs within this group, and I strongly suspect that Chuck knew the answer when he embedded the cover of One From the Vault earlier this morning.  🙂

• Forum MVP

I had that bootleg album. Known as imaginary ballroom, I do believe. My copy was called Hot as Hell. I remembered that it was’75 so that got me thinking about the songs on it, remembering Roses. Alas, a few minutes to late! I love ‘It must have been the Roses.’ I think it captures the core of just exactly what the Grateful Dead is. 

• Forum MVP

sml - that's an awesome story.

I would never have suspected Must've Been The Roses was played every year. So much so that I actually  just cracked open my Deadbase.  I see that there are no less than 11 years subsequent to '75 when it was played 4 or fewer times, with only one time played in '89, but sure enough it never missed a year.

If anyone is in the mood to have their mind blown, and if you aren't I suggest you get in that mood pronto, cue up 7-8-78 Red Rocks.  Pay particular attention to Jerry's emoting of verse 2.  Oh...my...god.

• Forum MVP

Holy shit, John, you weren’t kidding.

I read your post and immediately went to that 7-8-78 show for the Roses.  

Unreal.  

And although it is only for Heads by Heads, HeadyVersion is a fairly accurate guide to quality, albeit biased based on access and distribution, i.e. shows that have been officially released often rate higher, because more people have heard them.

It has 7-8-78 as the “Headiest” (code for best) version.

http://headyversion.com/song/140/grateful-dead/it-must-have-been-the-roses/

• Forum MVP
4 hours ago, DesertDead said:

strongly suspect that Chuck knew the answer when he embedded the cover of One From the Vault earlier this morning.  🙂

Yes indeed, and a gentleman never tells...

i will say we were scared that the hiatus would become something more permanent. Back then about all us polite collegiate Heads had aside from shows were albums and cassettes since we weren’t really hooked up with the nascent taper scene. So we played the hell out of them.

”I don’t always listen to side 2 of Europe ‘72, but when I do so does everyone else in my dorm.”

3 hours ago, DesertDead said:

ly suspect that Chuck knew the answer when he embedded the cover of One From the Vault earlier this morning.  

Agreed!  Thx Chuck, need all the help I can get.  That Great American M H release sooo good.  More games DD?great mediator!

• Forum MVP

Ok, buckeroos.  I have two words for you:  set placement.

Of all the songs performed by the Grateful Dead more than 10 times (roughly estimated to be about 230 of the 484 different songs/jams), only ELEVEN were always played in the same set.

Eleven.

As you read this I’ll interrupt to add that I expected this to be a MUCH larger number, and therefore perhaps a game not viable for playing.  But, alas, the number is eleven and this is happening.

I do have to clarify for those that do no speak Deadbase that a set is defined by 1, 2, 3, E, 1.5 (half sets), and D for Dylan (1987).   It also denotes L for electric and A for acoustic.  * is used for the only set of the show.

The eleven songs we are looking for

1.  Were played more than 10 times (get outta here, Slewfoot).  

2.  Always were played within the same “set” as defined above.

3.  Have lyrics.  Drums/Space and wordless Jams of all sorts are not what we’re looking for here.

No peeking into your Deadbase.  No Internet.

I’ll give hints if this drags on too long, but I am curious to see how long this takes us without any guidance from me.

May the Force be with us all.

• Forum MVP
2 hours ago, John A said:

If anyone is in the mood to have their mind blown, and if you aren't I suggest you get in that mood pronto, cue up 7-8-78 Red Rocks.  Pay particular attention to Jerry's emoting of verse 2.  Oh...my...god.

I know it well 😎

Like it was written in my soul.  Begging, pleading, yearning.  G-O-L-D

• Forum MVP
11 minutes ago, joel said:

E. Brokedown?

As good a place to start as any.

Brokedown was played 215 times.  In sets 1, 2, 3, E, and A.  It’s first two appearances in 1970 were acoustic (then there were others).

So it’s a “no”.  😁

• Forum MVP
21 minutes ago, Tea said:

CC Rider

CC Rider was played 127 times.  The very first time (and others) was in the second set.  😉

11 minutes ago, count2 said:

Dear Mr. Fantasy

1 down, 10 to go.

Was wondering when you’d jump in, Count.  Right on.

You’re 1 for 1.  

Dear Mr. Fantasy (58) first appeared on 6/14/84 at Red Rocks (some serendipity goin on today).  It was then and always remained in the second set.

• Forum MVP
5 minutes ago, Greg from Chestertown said:

100,000 tons of steel is the only one that I can recall that is a single set appearance, only thing is I am not so sure that it made it up to ten performances. Gotta be a correct answer in the acoustic sets from 1980. Sage and spirit? 

Tons of Steel was played 29 times.  And one time, in Band Camp, it snuck into the second set.  Those lucky enough to be at the Meadowlands show on 4/6/87 had one of their second set slots taken by the Brent ode to trains.

They got Terrapin out of Space as consolation prize.  Choo-choo!  🚂

Archived