15 minutes ago, BillK522 said:

That Would Be Something?

Fits the 'profile'.

Fits DD's clue.

Did they do 17?

Praise DSO.

Billy the Kid!  🤠

WINNER!

That Would Be Something was always played in the second set.

Nice pull!

That leaves just one.

This last song was

—played > 10 times (18)

—always in the same set (the second)

—a Bobby song (that everyone here has heard)

—first appeared in 1984; last time played was in 1993 out of Space.

Home stretch, peeps!

• Forum MVP
59 minutes ago, DesertDead said:

This last song was

—played > 10 times (18)

—always in the same set (the second)

—a Bobby song (that everyone here has heard)

—first appeared in 1984; last time played was in 1993 out of Space.

Man that sounds like it should be an easy enough pull with all those hints but I'm flailing! Must...think...harder...

Joel I'm afraid you need to join Hardpan in the penalty box...Estimated was played in something like 60 straight shows when it debuted - in 1977!  In set 1 no less.

• Forum MVP
21 minutes ago, Tea said:

China Doll  

EDIT:  should have read further up.  More posts in 3 days than in the last year

Black Throated Wind?

Your instincts are good on this one, Tea, because BT Wind would have made it, EXCEPT for the ONE TIME out of 158 times played that it crept out of its usual, first set placement and into set THREE.  3/25/72 in NYC.

This last song that we’re chasing did not first appear until 1984, but that one just seemed so clear that I don’t blame you for making sure I didn’t fuck it up, haha.  

7 minutes ago, John A said:

Man that sounds like it should be an easy enough pull with all those hints but I'm flailing! Must...think...harder...

The best hint that I can repeat is that this last one is tricky...

Glad everyone is having some fun with it all!

49 minutes ago, DesertDead said:

Damn good guess, Hardpan.

But Spoonful was played in some first sets.  Deer Creek 1993 comes to mind.

After I guessed, I remembered you said you would have to “serve it up” at the end, thought it could have been a clue that you would have to “spoon feed” us, but alas...

• Forum MVP
9 minutes ago, count2 said:

I want to say Satisfaction as a second set tune, but feel like it could have been an encore at some point.

I think it was mostly an encore but also closed a second set here and there.

Rolling through songs in my head, and thinking about Desolation Row. Surprised to know that it was played other than set 1, doesn’t fit the criteria here for a set 2 song, but it’s gotta be close on a mostly set one number. Stumped. Had to turn off 7/29/82 to think better...

• Forum MVP
37 minutes ago, count2 said:

I want to say Satisfaction as a second set tune, but feel like it could have been an encore at some point.

The majority of the times Satisfaction was played was as an encore.

22 minutes ago, Greg from Chestertown said:

Watchtower?

Closed the first set on 8/23/87.  Santana guest.

They did also play it with “D”.  🤓

10 minutes ago, Hardpan said:

Rolling through songs in my head, and thinking about Desolation Row. Surprised to know that it was played other than set 1, doesn’t fit the criteria here for a set 2 song, but it’s gotta be close on a mostly set one number. Stumped. Had to turn off 7/29/82 to think better...

On July 2, 1986 in Akron, Ohio, Desolation Row was played in the second set.  Without Garcia (and without Dylan, although he was present).

• Forum MVP
8 minutes ago, Tea said:

All over Now?

Now I see that you have VERY little faith in me, haha.  😂

All Over Now was played in the second set of the final Grateful Dead show ever played in Africa.

Cairo, 9/16/78.

It was in only one other second set, 11/20/70, with Jorma.  A list I strongly suggest taking a peek at, if not a listen to.  Wow.

————————————

The song we are looking for is not tricky because of the set placement:  we all know this song as solely a part of second sets.

The song is so damn tricky that it’s even hard to give hints that won’t be the equivalent of just giving you the answer!  🤪

• Forum MVP
2 minutes ago, Hardpan said:

Sunshine Daydream as a stand alone closer, with a Sugar Magnolia set opener?

On 12/31/78, with Jake and Elwood Blues tripping balls nearby, Bobby did the Sugar open/SSDD closer for the FIRST set of the evening.

But, I like where your Head is at, Hardpan (pun obvious and intended).  

• Forum MVP

Oh fucking hell - I just got it! 

And it's indeed somewhat of a trick question, which is why even with the hints it seemed so perplexing.  Despite finishing Playin' in the Band later in shows many times (and in both sets) since the early 70s, until the mid 80s there had never been stand alone Reprises absent the rest of the song. So the answer has to be the Playin' Reprise.

My head hurts.  Thanks, Desert...I think. :cheers:

• Forum MVP

2muchfun - Sure, Playin' was finished from a different set, or earlier in the set, but never from a different show until the mid 80s.

But the reason it's a trick question is an issue I've always had with Deadbase. They don't delineate Playin' Reprise as an overt thing if Playin' was finished from earlier in the show.  But they do delineate it if it was in a show where the rest of Playin' never occurred.

I'd have done it differently, and there would be tons of entries for "Playin' Reprise" from 1972 forward.  And many of these would be in set 1.

30 minutes ago, John A said:

Oh fucking hell - I just got it! 

And it's indeed somewhat of a trick question, which is why even with the hints it seemed so perplexing.  Despite finishing Playin' in the Band later in shows many times (and in both sets) since the early 70s, until the mid 80s there had never been stand alone Reprises absent the rest of the song. So the answer has to be the Playin' Reprise.

My head hurts.  Thanks, Desert...I think. :cheers:

Ahhh, great thinking, but  would it indeed count as a Bob solo? When they come back in to finish it off, if it’s considered a separate tune, it comes back in as a duet (trio?)...🧐

• Forum MVP
10 minutes ago, John A said:

2muchfun - Sure, Playin' was finished from a different set, or earlier in the set, but never from a different show until the mid 80s.

But the reason it's a trick question is an issue I've always had with Deadbase. They don't delineate Playin' Reprise as an overt thing if Playin' was finished from earlier in the show.  But they do delineate it if it was in a show where the rest of Playin' never occurred.

I'd have done it differently, and there would be tons of entries for "Playin' Reprise" from 1972 forward.  And many of these would be in set 1.

Now it’s like playing poker...deuces wild...so are 9’s and 3’s...if you get a 4 you get a free card.
It’s not really poker anymore.

I see no confirm yet

Archived