Fun with Deadbase

DesertDead

• Forum MVP
43 minutes ago, John A said:

Oh fucking hell - I just got it! 

And it's indeed somewhat of a trick question, which is why even with the hints it seemed so perplexing.  Despite finishing Playin' in the Band later in shows many times (and in both sets) since the early 70s, until the mid 80s there had never been stand alone Reprises absent the rest of the song. So the answer has to be the Playin' Reprise.

My head hurts.  Thanks, Desert...I think. :cheers:

Game over.  🥳🥳🥳🥳🥳

Playin Reprise is most definitely a thing, a thing very well-described here by you, John.

I’m just grateful we got there without me having to try to noodle through any more clues!

Impressive work throughout, John!  Kudos!

I‘m having a blast chatting with all of you and driving these.  I will continue to do so.  I would also completely welcome anyone doing anything they would like on this stuff.  No expectations on size and scope.  Just really love the friendship and the fun.

I’ll give it a rest for a few days to give ample opportunity for someone else to jump in and create a game.

Thank you, everyone!  👍👍👍👍👍

• Replies 301
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Forum MVP
1 hour ago, Greg from Chestertown said:

Throwin stones? Or did they play that too much. 

Women are smarter

Both had first set occurrences.

1 hour ago, Greg from Chestertown said:

Yea, I was thinking two steps back. Mid nite hour?

1, 2, 3, E.  😎

• Forum MVP

The more I think about it the more Deadbase pisses me off in how they handled the Playin' Reprise.  In 70s sets, one can't know if "Playin'" means they went back into the jam or if it means there was a Reprise. It's totally arbitrary that they started listing the Reprise only when it began to occasionally appear in shows where the main body of the song was absent.

And accordingly, without having grappled with this issue previously there would have been no way to come up with the final answer.

• Forum MVP

I don't own a Deadbase - maybe I should get around to buying one 😁

Until that day comes, I'll bug you kind people for the info:  Does Deadbase list any official The Eleven Jams or teases that surfaced after 4/24/1970?  My guess is no but let's see what the good book says

• Forum MVP
17 minutes ago, Tea said:

I don't own a Deadbase - maybe I should get around to buying one 😁

Until that day comes, I'll bug you kind people for the info:  Does Deadbase list any official The Eleven Jams or teases that surfaced after 4/24/1970?  My guess is no but let's see what the good book says

The Eleven Jam is a recognized thing in Deadbase.

Played seven times total, two of those are after 4/24/70:

9/28/75

12/26/81

No bother, whatsoever.  🙂

• Forum MVP
On 7/29/2020 at 6:13 PM, John A said:

The more I think about it the more Deadbase pisses me off in how they handled the Playin' Reprise.  In 70s sets, one can't know if "Playin'" means they went back into the jam or if it means there was a Reprise. It's totally arbitrary that they started listing the Reprise only when it began to occasionally appear in shows where the main body of the song was absent.

And accordingly, without having grappled with this issue previously there would have been no way to come up with the final answer.

I dunno, I think their methodology is pretty defensible on this.

From Deadbase 50 (XI):

”We are now listing Playin’ Reprise for those instances where the main body of the song was not sung at the show.”

Meaning that when the show includes (a preceding portion that begins with) the “Some folks trust to reason...” part, then all of the returns to it on that night are called “Playin” (582 times played).

And Playin’ Jam (played twice) is just no lyrics, no preceding main portion within that show.  11/5/85 and 9/7/87 are it.

Then Playin’ Reprise is when the last part beginning with “Playin’!  Playin’ in the Band!” kicks in without any preceding part having been played in the same show.  As discussed, there were 18 of these, the first on 10/12/84 out of Space in Maine.

But I will add that just by sheer volume of data, there must be errors in Deadbase somewhere, haha. 

How do they deal with 1985-03-31?

If you going to distinguish between them, I think it's notable and should be taken into account for sure.

Are there any others like this?

• Forum MVP

I have always thought that if it was ‘playin’, it was ‘playin’. Any more than a tease, they played it. It doesn’t matter if they opened up with it, played an entire concert, and Then finished it at the end of the show. I would read that set list as ‘....and then, back into Playin’ in the band’! Oh, My God!, the entire show was a Playin sandwich. 
BTW, one of the better license plates that I have seen; Playin. If you know, you know.  
  I feel the same way about Sugar Mags. If they do SSDD later in the show, or the week, they’re still just finishing the song.  
  BTW, I flipped through a copy of Deadbase for about fifteen minutes once, in the early nineties.  

How many times were Sugar Mags and SSDD separated?

I came up with my own tweaked system for setlists and time maps I feel takes care of all of these Playin' issues - Maybe someday I'll share it :3

• Forum MVP
23 minutes ago, sml said:

If you going to distinguish between them, I think it's notable and should be taken into account for sure.

There is nothing else like 3-31-85.  That's a one off and Deadbase should probably not distinguish anything, unless maybe they want to do it with italics under the list. Which they perhaps should.

Desert - we're going to have to agree to disagree on this one. Sure, they should list "Playin Reprise" just as they have done in the 17 shows that were the final answer to your last puzzle, but they should also list it the other dozens of times the song was broken up within the same show.

Taking this a step further, Deadbase should have created 3 distinct categories for Playin'.  (1) Playin in the Band. This would reflect any time the main body of the song was either played by itself, or times (pre-hiatus) when the entire song was played in one continuous piece. (2) Playin.  This would reflect only a jamming segment where the Playin theme is obvious.  (3) Playin Reprise. This would reflect the standalone section we all know as "The Reprise". 

Without all 3 of these categories you can't tell what happened in the show. (The counter argument would be without listening to the tape or having been there you can't tell anything anyway!!) Take for example Portland ME 3-28-86. It just lists "Playin" 3 times so one has to infer what was what.

FWIW, they do put under the list in italics on Laguna Seca 7-29-88 "Playin includes the Playin Reprise".  Not that I can get behind!

16 minutes ago, sml said:

How many times were Sugar Mags and SSDD separated?

I came up with my own tweaked system for setlists and time maps I feel takes care of all of these Playin' issues - Maybe someday I'll share it :3

Deadbase lists approximately 30 instances of standalone Sunshine Daydreams.

Yo - bring on the sml custom Playin time maps!

• Forum MVP
44 minutes ago, sml said:

Haha, it is the Grateful Dead.  It can’t be simple, right?

They footnote the show that Playin is “inverted”.  They list it once, as “Playin”, in between Wheel and Day Tripper.

Seems right to me.  Is consistent with their methodology (I added the bit about “preceding” and messed it up a bit, lol).

I can’t think of any other way they should have handled it.  Is the only time that I know of.

• Forum MVP
1 hour ago, John A said:

There is nothing else like 3-31-85.  That's a one off and Deadbase should probably not distinguish anything, unless maybe they want to do it with italics under the list. Which they perhaps should.

Desert - we're going to have to agree to disagree on this one. Sure, they should list "Playin Reprise" just as they have done in the 17 shows that were the final answer to your last puzzle, but they should also list it the other dozens of times the song was broken up within the same show.

Taking this a step further, Deadbase should have created 3 distinct categories for Playin'.  (1) Playin in the Band. This would reflect any time the main body of the song was either played by itself, or times (pre-hiatus) when the entire song was played in one continuous piece. (2) Playin.  This would reflect only a jamming segment where the Playin theme is obvious.  (3) Playin Reprise. This would reflect the standalone section we all know as "The Reprise". 

Without all 3 of these categories you can't tell what happened in the show. (The counter argument would be without listening to the tape or having been there you can't tell anything anyway!!) Take for example Portland ME 3-28-86. It just lists "Playin" 3 times so one has to infer what was what.

FWIW, they do put under the list in italics on Laguna Seca 7-29-88 "Playin includes the Playin Reprise".  Not that I can get behind!

Deadbase lists approximately 30 instances of standalone Sunshine Daydreams.

Yo - bring on the sml custom Playin time maps!

I think we’re closer to agreeing than you think, because the 3 categories you call for are the ones they use.  🙃

They just don’t apply them the way you prefer.

That question about 3/31/85 is a deep cut, though, sml.  😀

dig it

• Forum MVP

Friday evening game, anyone?

We’ve learned more about longevity, continuity, and consistency within Live Dead.  Now let’s talk a bit about where this all went down.

There are 5 states that never hosted a Dead show, and 5 more that only hosted one.

Name them.  Specify if you think it is a “0” or a “1” state.  

Let’s add that everyone gets only one correct reply, so the game takes a bit longer and  everyone gets a turn.  Meaning if you give an answer and it is confirmed as correct, you are on the sidelines.  You can submit a wrong answer and then guess again.  If we get stuck for too long and/or rampant apathy sets in, I’ll open it back up to multiple guesses.

“One ping only...” (Connery voice, Russian accent). 👴

• Forum MVP
2 hours ago, DesertDead said:

I think we’re closer to agreeing than you think, because the 3 categories you call for are the ones they use.  🙃

They just don’t apply them the way you prefer.

That's not correct.  There is no category for "Playin in the Band".  If there are 2 (or 3) entries for "Playin" in a single show, you have infer what is a jam, a reprise, or the full song. That, in the nutshell, is my beef.

Strangely, if there is a Playin jam in a show where there was no full Playin I think they will note "Playin jam".  Or as we saw in the last game, if the Reprise is in a show by itself.  They seem obsessed with only specific notation in instances where the full Playin doesn't occur.  This makes my beef (see above) spin. 😂

• Forum MVP

We’re en fuego.

1/5 for 1 show:  Montana with the visual winner from Dharmada. 

2/5 for 0 shows:  Delaware, aka the birthplace of Greg.

3/5 for 0 shows:  we head out West to Wyoming, where Zuck awaits.

Thank you to the three of you.  Now please find the sidelines whilst the rest of the tribe thinks of places that have had either zero or one Dead shows.  🤓😎

Archived