Fun with Deadbase

DesertDead

• Forum MVP
1 minute ago, sml said:

Wharf Rat or Stella?

At the end of this post, the game will still be on.  🤓

Neither Wharf Rat (1971) or Stella Blue (1972) were a part of the four shows in 1975 that cause so many songs to miss the cut.

• Replies 301
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Forum MVP
Just now, Greg from Chestertown said:

Help/slip/frank 

Our man in Maryland might be thinking (wisely) that in order to win this game, one must ensure that 1975 is accommodated.  We all know that HSF does that.

But none of the three songs will end this game.

1.  Help on the Way (1975).  These songs were all introduced BEFORE 1975.  It had many years that it was not played, to boot (76 through 82, 86 through 88).

2.  Slipknot (1974) skipped the same years listed above for Help on the Way.

3.  Franklin’s Tower WAS played every year after its debut, but since that debut was in 1975 and not before, this classic never had a shot.

• Forum MVP
2 minutes ago, chuckvegas said:

Critical listening from the hiatus:

351945E5-727A-4871-9EF3-3E7DD206D790.jpeg

Chuck would be the winner if he wasn’t so gracious to just lead the rest of us to the Promised Land.

Tip of the cap to you, Sir.

• Forum MVP
4 minutes ago, Hardpan said:

Bird Song

Bird Song (1971) was not played in 1974 through 1979.

Thank God Garcia brought it back!  I can’t imagine my life without it.

Just for fun I’ll add that the 9-22-93 one is one that sticks out as just having left me slack-jawed.  What a show...

8 minutes ago, DesertDead said:

Bird Song (1971) was not played in 1974 through 1979.

Thank God Garcia brought it back!  I can’t imagine my life without it.

Just for fun I’ll add that the 9-22-93 one is one that sticks out as just having left me slack-jawed.  What a show...

Gall dern it. Told you I’m not good with song hiatuses. Seems like it’s gotta be a first set type of song. Jack a Roe?

• Forum MVP
31 minutes ago, Hardpan said:

Gall dern it. Told you I’m not good with song hiatuses. Seems like it’s gotta be a first set type of song. Jack a Roe?

Jack-A-Roe didn’t first make it into a show until 1977.  Then it skipped 1983, 1986, and 1987.

26 minutes ago, sml said:

Scarlet Begonias?

Scarlet did debut in 1974, but it was not a part of 1975.

• Forum MVP

I'm not picking up on that 9-22-93 clue!

As for Jack-A-Roe, that was missing for some time.  I recall being at the bust out in Long Beach '88.  And sadly, that was about the only memorable part of those Long Beach shows. 

It's wild to think that, despite the greatness that is 1977, many songs that would become mainstays were out of the rotation.

• Forum MVP
13 minutes ago, John A said:

I'm not picking up on that 9-22-93 clue!

As for Jack-A-Roe, that was missing for some time.  I recall being at the bust out in Long Beach '88.  And sadly, that was about the only memorable part of those Long Beach shows. 

It's wild to think that, despite the greatness that is 1977, many songs that would become mainstays were out of the rotation.

Ha, I should be more careful what I add to these, because that really was just a fun little side note, no clue at all.  

Mea culpa.  ☺️

5 minutes ago, sml said:

Ramble On Rose/T Jed?

Both RoR and TJed debuted in 1971, and both were played every, single year...wait for it....

Except for 1975.

You know I'm going to listen to every '75 recording after someone gets this, right?

Man, this is fun - Needs its own whole forum though if we're gonna keep it up, this thread is already getting out of hand...

• Forum MVP

The thing about '75, beyond there being only 4 shows, is that almost 1/2 the material was stuff from Blues For Allah that not only hadn't been done before '75 but that would never be done again.

At this point it's just come down to randomly guessing Garcia first set mainstays until somebody hits pay dirt.

• Forum MVP
37 minutes ago, sml said:

You know I'm going to listen to every '75 recording after someone gets this, right?

Man, this is fun - Needs its own whole forum though if we're gonna keep it up, this thread is already getting out of hand...

Haha, I picture all of you, my friends that I’ve never met, all over the country, reciting playlists and thinking out loud about Jerry tunes, and it’s awesome.

1975 is such a mystery to most of us.  Only four shows!

16 minutes ago, John A said:

The thing about '75, beyond there being only 4 shows, is that almost 1/2 the material was stuff from Blues For Allah that not only hadn't been done before '75 but that would never be done again.

At this point it's just come down to randomly guessing Garcia first set mainstays until somebody hits pay dirt.

I intend on summarizing all of the songs that could have reasonably been guessed for this when we’re finished, but at the rate we’re going, we are going to cover all of those before we find the winner.

We can talk about Bobby songs that only missed by one year:

BIODTL (1966).  This would beat out even NFA for continuity, except it was not played in 1976.

Let it Grow (1973).  No 1975.

Playin’ in the Band (1971).  No 1975.

Promised Land (1971).  No 1975.

• Forum MVP
46 minutes ago, Zuck said:

Peggy-O

This IS a part of this group of songs, but Greg got it last night.

26 minutes ago, Tea said:

I'm stumped.  Ship of Fools?

Ship (1974) suffers from that now widely known affliction:  no-1975-itis.

23 minutes ago, joel said:

Ok final guess.  For now. It could have been in 1975, it must have been in 1995 .....the roses.  It must have been the roses. 

Joel, apparently you DO know that it WAS the Roses!

It Must Have Been the Roses was rare in one regard:  the words AND music were by Hunter.  

First played at the first show of 1974, February 22 at Winterland, Roses was played every year straight through to 1995, where it came to rest in Albany on June 22.

🌹🌹🌹

Archived