Fun with Deadbase

DesertDead

• Replies 301
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Forum MVP

Everything I come up with, I disqualify after some thought. Monkey and the engineer except one show in California ruins it with a second set play. I do believe that both Jack Straw and Brown eyed women don’t make the cut due to early on performances being all over the chalk board. Interesting that the list of winners seems to be later day stuff that didn’t get played that much. Fire on the mountain?

• Forum MVP
9 hours ago, joel said:

Ok how about a hide in plain site song?

Jack Straw. 

JStraw is a no.  It’s been in 1, 2, 3, and even a “1.5” back in 1973.

Really old songs just have a tough time with this one, as evidenced by the list of winners so far.

7 hours ago, Hardpan said:

Brown Eyed Women, probably a long shot, since it was played for so long. 

BE Women has been in 1, 2, and 3.  The last time that it appeared in the second set was in Miami on 12/12/78.

6 hours ago, Greg from Chestertown said:

Everything I come up with, I disqualify after some thought. Monkey and the engineer except one show in California ruins it with a second set play. I do believe that both Jack Straw and Brown eyed women don’t make the cut due to early on performances being all over the chalk board. Interesting that the list of winners seems to be later day stuff that didn’t get played that much. Fire on the mountain?

Yeah, the thing that I like is knowing that there is a lot of thinking about the music that we love and analysis of songs that are NOT listed because someone disqualifies it on their own.

Last night John was going at it, and I know that although he listed a lot, he left off even more because they are “no’s”.  It’s a frenzy of songs!  😝

Fire on the Mountain fails at its first time played, to close the first set on 3/18/77 at Winterland.  🔥🔥🔥

• Forum MVP
4 hours ago, count2 said:

Dupree's - this probably goes back in time too far for it to be correct.

Your instinct is right, it does go too far back to have a shot.  First time played was in the first set, second time played was in the second set.  Was even the encore once:  at the Second Creamery Benefit in Veneta on 8/28/82.

2 hours ago, Tea said:

Childhoods End

I'm not very good at this - but don't think twice - it's alright

If it wasn’t for the 12/12/94 show when it snuck into the second set in Oakland, this would have made the cut.

2 hours ago, Greg from Chestertown said:

Knock in’ on heaven’s door? Or did that get ruined by Dylan your in ‘87? Kinda funny, I started singing it this morning then I was like, ooh, ooh! The contest! 

Ha, me too!  You know how you can have dreams of playing cards if you’re in Vegas and gambling more than usual?  I had visions of Deadbase content last night!  🤪

Knockin’ is a damn good guess, and is close, but no.

It did appear in a Dylan set, but it also appeared in set two with the Neville’s on 7/6/87 in Pittsburgh as well as set three on NYE 1987 (also with the Neville’s).

• Forum MVP
5 hours ago, BillK522 said:

Super entertaining thread guys.

Suspenseful and informative.

Brother Esau ?  Feels first setish.

Praise DSO.

Esau has appeared in the second set just twice:  3/30/83 at the Warfield and as the set opener on 4/20/83 in Providence.  

Similar to Broken Arrow, Garcia is rumored to have told Bobby, “We can keep playing that fucked up song, Man, but not in my second sets”.

Rumor only.  

5 hours ago, 2muchfun said:

Mexicali...SAB

Mexicali Blues was played 435 times, some of which were in the second set.  The last time it made a second set was at Winterland, 10/19/74.  A bit of a unique list for that set.  Never an encore, though.

• Forum MVP
9 minutes ago, Mojo Hand said:

I hate to even mention these;

Eternity

Easy Answers 

Somebody has to, Mojo.  😀

Your friend, DesertDead, was fortunate enough to be in attendance at the two shows where Eternity took a slot in the second set:

7/24/94 at Soldier Field.

4/2/95 at The Pyramid in Memphis.  (This is the one that is on that album they recently released with all of the new tunes, if you dare.)

Then Easy Answers...

This one actually ended its run by only appearing in second sets.  It opened a second set at MSG on 9/22/93 that I was at.  We hung in there and things improved that night - dramatically.  🤩

• Forum MVP
23 minutes ago, count2 said:

Did Little Red Rooster ever make it to the second set?

That’s actually where it started for the Grateful Dead.

On 8/19/80 it debuted as the second set opener at the Uptown in Chicago (followed by China/Rider, Estimated/Eyes).

The second time it was played was on 8/26/80 in Cleveland, and it was in the second slot of the second set after Dough Knees.  😌

Every time after that it was set one action.

• Forum MVP
42 minutes ago, Tea said:

Valley Road?  Wait - don't think they got to 10 on that one. 

How bout Push Comes to Shove?

Valley Road was always in the first set - all 6 times.

Push made it into some second sets.  It was the encore at the first night of the NYE run at Kaiser in 1986 (12/27/86).

40 minutes ago, joel said:

Brent again. Ez to love you and far from me ?  

Both songs made both first and second set placement.

10 minutes ago, Dharmada said:

Easy Wind

Aloha, Dharmada.

Easy Wind was played in both the first and second sets.

RIP Pig.

• Forum MVP

Comments on recent guesses:

Push Comes To Shove was in the 3rd set at New Years 12-31-86 (I was there)

Rooster bust out opened the 2nd set.

I'd be shocked if an Easy to Love You or a Far From me didn't slip into set 2 early on. Even Never Trust A Woman did that in Long Beach '81 (great pre-drums sequence including a beautiful Wheel that night).

As for Fire, don't forget the Saturday Night > Fire opener at Ventura '85!

As for Valley Road, that can;t possible have been done 10 times, although I note that I've been vastly underselling number of times played, not only with those acoustic numbers and Don't Need Love but dramatically so with Fought The Law.

I'm tempted to guess Throwing Stones, but I bet there was some late set 1 placement in the early '82 versions.

I'm still flummoxed that there is no encore only song in the band's history.  Or at least seemingly not.

EDIT: Desert beat me to some of that info 4 min ago above.

I wonder if Why Don't We Do It In The Road was played 10 times.  I'd suspect close but not quite, but if so that's gotta be all set 2.

• Forum MVP

There are two songs left.

One of them is really tricky.  If someone gets it, that’s great, but I fully expect to have to pretty much serve that one up at the end.

So let’s narrow your focus to just the other one (ha).  

We are looking for a song that Jerry sang.  17 times.  Always set two.

• Forum MVP
3 hours ago, Tea said:

Valley Road?  Wait - don't think they got to 10 on that one. 

How bout Push Comes to Shove?

Both of those crossed my mind

on the bike ride today.

Do not think Valley Road got ten.

Praise DSO.

• Forum MVP

After a good night’s rest, John is back on the trail!  😄

You’re right - Throwing Stones debuted in a first set on 9/17/82 in Maine.

You’re also right about that encore only thought.  Not one that was played more than 10 times, anyway.

Why Don’t We Do It In the Road? was only played 7 times, but 2 of those were in the first set (4/7/85 and 4/13/85, both were show openers).

Archived