Fun with Deadbase

DesertDead

• Forum MVP
56 minutes ago, Greg from Chestertown said:

I’m going with Baby Blue. I have a couple other ideas but I don’t want to steal any body’s thunder. 

Excellent guess!  Most Heads do not know that Baby Blue goes back to (documented) 1966.

The game continues...

• Replies 301
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Forum MVP
24 minutes ago, John A said:

I'll guess Cold Rain & Snow.

Baby Blue is also a strong choice. It was definitely played in both '66 and '95. Which leads to a good follow up question: how many songs were played in both '66 and '95?  I'm leaving '65 out because there's so little data available about set lists.

This is what I thought was going to be the answer when I opened Deadbase to start this game.

And we are both close, no cigar.  I will not answer the follow-up question until we are done with this one.

There was only one Baby Blue in 1995.  Salt Lake City, 2/19.  (For those that weren’t there.)

There is only one setlist in Deadbase from 1965.

Ok, back to the action..

• Forum MVP
17 minutes ago, John A said:

My next guess is Minglewood Blues.  That is if we're to count the Old Minglewood and the New Minglewood as the same song.  😆

After guess #2 I got nothing.

Nope, but it’s in the top 5.

12 minutes ago, Hardpan said:

I’m going with Don’t Ease Me In 🤔

Nyet. 

I will give some hints.

This song became primarily a second set song.

• Forum MVP

Very rare that this song was ever an encore, although it did occur - once.

John, you were probably at that show from what I know about you.

Thanks in part to the great and very appropriate guesses already provided, those that try in the morning will get it.

• Forum MVP
4 hours ago, Greg from Chestertown said:

Love light? My second choice was don’t ease me in. I thought for sure that was up there. I guess it doesn’t matter if pigpen started it and Bobby finished it. There’s no rule against that. 

Not Lovelight.

1 hour ago, Ammagamalin Crew said:

Morning Dew

Not Morning Dew.

This IS fun...

Ok, I’ll end the suspense:  this song was almost always paired with one particular song.

And it’s not Fire on the Mountain.  🤯

• Forum MVP
11 hours ago, DesertDead said:

Thanks in part to the great and very appropriate guesses already provided, those that try in the morning will get it.

I was gonna say Me & my Uncle but I don't think that's it.  Is it BIODTL?

• Forum MVP
11 hours ago, DesertDead said:

Ha!  No I was not at Frost '88 because I didn't move to the Bay Area until that summer.  (That is one odd encore sequence.)

But I now know the answer!  Would not have come up with that on my own.

I think after Tea's last post it's possible the list of all songs played in both '66 and '95 may have been bantered forth....except the answer to the original question.  Too funny. 

• Forum MVP
1 hour ago, Tea said:

I was gonna say Me & my Uncle but I don't think that's it.  Is it BIODTL?

About time you get your ass in here, haha!  Damn East Coaster, we were waiting all night for you.

Although these guesses are both wrong, we couldn’t go on without you.  (Side trivia that most know:  MAMU is the song (with lyrics) most played by the Boys - 616.)

• Forum MVP
1 hour ago, John A said:

Ha!  No I was not at Frost '88 because I didn't move to the Bay Area until that summer.  (That is one odd encore sequence.)

But I now know the answer!  Would not have come up with that on my own.

I think after Tea's last post it's possible the list of all songs played in both '66 and '95 may have been bantered forth....except the answer to the original question.  Too funny. 

We have arrived, for the correct answer is (part of) the encore on 4/30/88.

And this last bit in your post, John is a keen observation.  There are a few others (Good Lovin’, Big Boss Man, I Just Want, Same Thing, Schoolgirl), but we did cover a good amount, including all versions of Minglewood, haha.

BIODTL would be a guess in anyone’s world, but never made it into 1995 (last on 10/3/94).

Big RxR wasn’t first played until 9/7/69.

7 minutes ago, Zuck said:

Cumberland Blues?

No, but a very good guess.

First Cumby 11/8/69; last one was at the final show.

The correct answer is a song that was played 550 times:  

I Know You Rider.

• Forum MVP

Garcia did Big Boss Man in '95?  Would never have thunk it.  I did catch a few in the late 80s.

It's interesting how many of those songs done in both '66 and '95 were originally sung by Pigpen.  At least Same Thing, Schoolgirl, Boss Man, and Good Lovin'. 

And this leads me to an interesting tangent:  check out 6-21-69 Dire Wolf.  Sung by......Bob Weir?!?!? 

• Forum MVP

The first Grateful Dead setlist in Deadbase is 

1/7/66 at The Matrix in San Francisco.  The only song from that show that was played in 1995 is Baby Blue (Greg!!).  As I mentioned above in this thread, it’s last performance was 2/19/95 (SLC).  

There are a few, short lists in Deadbase before we get the song that spanned the furthest as being included in the playlists:  

I Know You Rider.

2/25/66, Ivar Theater in Hollywood.  

Last time played:  7/8/95, Soldier Field.  

it had changed a bit over time, lol.

Worthy of mention that your first guess, John, Cold Rain and Snow, was also played on that February night in LA, but the last time it was played was 6/19/95 in New Jersey.  It also took quite a journey.

But not quite as long as I Know You Rider.

By the way, the very first setlist in Deadbase is a Warlocks list, and it includes Rider.  11/3/65.

Rider is the first song that Phil is reported to have rehearsed with the other members of the Formerly Known as the Warlocks.

• Forum MVP
8 minutes ago, John A said:

Garcia did Big Boss Man in '95?  Would never have thunk it.  I did catch a few in the late 80s.

It's interesting how many of those songs done in both '66 and '95 were originally sung by Pigpen.  At least Same Thing, Schoolgirl, Boss Man, and Good Lovin'. 

And this leads me to an interesting tangent:  check out 6-21-69 Dire Wolf.  Sung by......Bob Weir?!?!? 

You know how Jerry loved to bust it out around the River...

7/6/95, St. Louis.  

Archived