Songs you wish the dead would have covered

Rude

16 hours ago, bs69 said:

I just want to make love to you. Could totally have seen Pigpen belting out a stellar version of that one

GD did break this out in 1966 with Pig on vocals.  Google it, there is a clip available.

Brent even sang this number a few times in mid-80s. 

• Like (+1) 2

5 hours ago, Greg from Chestertown said:

So, I have heard the pigpen version from the early years but I am drawing a blank (?) that must mean the Bad company version is a cover and not one of their original tunes? Their version was mid seventies. The confusion has returned. 

Hmmmm, Greg, not sure if Bad Company did this tune. Foghat made it a hit in the early to mid-70's...

Ha, I was about to Google the origins of that tune then as I was about to type in "I just want to..."  I had a quick vision of what hits may come up and quickly deleted the idea. That would not be a good Google on my work computer...  

• Forum MVP

Gotcha. That’s hilarious. Yea, now that you mention it, the Bad Company tune is I feel like making love to you. I guess that explains a lot. There’s a big difference between I just want to make love to you and I feel like making love to you. With one, it’s penetration and nothing else. No foreplay, cuddling, and/or spooning. With the other one, it’s about feeling like it but not necessarily any ambition. 

• Forum MVP
8 hours ago, Wharf Rat Stu said:

GD did break this out in 1966 with Pig on vocals.  Google it, there is a clip available.

Brent even sang this number a few times in mid-80s. 

Definitely need to check out the 66 version,  wish they would have kept it. Seems perfect for Pig. Do you know the mid eighties shows? Don't remember ever coming across it. Thanks for the feedback

• Forum MVP

Isn't youtube great! Had 3 versions, 66' with Pig. 84' Centrum with Brent and a February 95' version with Jerry. IMO the 84 Centrum version is pretty hot. Maybe DSO could break this out with Rob B on vocals?

• Like (+1) 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

'Forever Young' - Dylan. I saw them play it at the Bill Graham tribute 11/3/91 with Neil doing vocals, but always thought it could have been better, like a 'Heaven's Door', with Jerry at full strength and in full voice mid 80's era.

'Little Wing' - Hendrix. "She's walking through the clouds..." 'nuff said.

'Sunshine of Your Love' - Cream. Imagine the Phil bombs...

'Can't Find My Way Home' - Blind Faith. "I'm wasted and I can't find my way home", which would dovetail nicely with:

'On the Way Home' - Buffalo Springfield.

"In a strange game
I saw myself as you knew me
When the change came
And you had a chance to see through me
Though the other side is just the same
You can tell my dream is real
Because I love you can you see me now"

My top choice, both musically and lyrically, would be 'Deeper Well' - Emmylou Harris' cover of a song written by my dear friend and neighbor, the late great David Olney (RIP, Dave)

Great tune for Bobby, bubbling up from a Playing' Jam or out of Space like 'Other One'

Edited by UncleJohnsHand
First try embedding a video and goofed it.

• 1 month later...