DSO please don’t get political

Gratefullylaxin

I listen to the Dead’s music to escape life for awhile. I really hope DSO doesn’t delve into politics. They already lectured us about the vaccine at a show and now about climate change on their site. Please stop and do what you do best. Play GD music at the highest level for all; regardless of political views. Does everything have to include politics. 

Edited by Gratefullylaxin
  • Like (+1) 3

• Forum MVP

Can you believe Eaton says get home safe after every show to the fans. Why does he have to get so political!! It’s ridiculous that the band cares about the health of its fans. How dare they want the music to continue and for friends not to die. Caring for others and not wanting people to get sick is not a political issue. Every single governor in America encourages their population to get vaccinated. Every single one encourages that. Getting vaccinated is not a partisan issue or every governor would not be in agreement here. From Mississippi to Arkansas to Alabama, all of their governors have been doing town halls to try to stop the misinformation and keep their people safe. And why do you have the right to tell anyone that they can’t have an opinion but you can. Should we say to you stop getting political. Just do your job. Because they play music they can’t care about the health of others? Wanting people to be hospitalized is a non partisan issue. 99/100 senators are vaccinated and 50/50 governors. Check it out. Seems like vaccinations aren’t political based on the politicians who are vaccinated. Maybe better word choice. Like don’t tell me what to do vs using the word political which based upon vaccination status of politicians will show you it’s bipartisan.  

• Thanks (+1) 1

57 minutes ago, Rude said:

This is the most important part, I think. The band and crew go to work and make their living in the highest risk environment, (why do you think theaters have been so slow to open up?) a packed house of 1500-3000 dancing, heavily breathing, shouting, singing, drunken, high, etc. fans. They are just people who want to safely go to work, and provide all the fun and entertainment that a concert goer demands, have cohesive and cost effective tours so they can make a living without bouncing all around the country, etc. If they were saying “fuck the vaccine, have fun, you only live once “ or “climate change is a crock of shit” how would you feel about their politics then? 

57 minutes ago, Rude said:

And why do you have the right to tell anyone that they can’t have an opinion but you can. Should we say to you stop getting political. Just do your job. Because they play music they can’t care about the health of others? Wanting people to be hospitalized is a non partisan issue.

Sorry for the mixed up order, messed up on Rude’s quote. 

• Forum MVP

Life is political. You're political. I'm political. I can tune out any opinion I want. Doesn't bother me one way or another if you or DSO or whomever expresses their views. I take what I need and leave the rest. The vaccine greatly reduces the odds of being hospitalized. It doesn't do everything that was promised. Take it don't take it that's a personal choice. You make yours. I'll make mine. 

• Like (+1) 4

• Forum MVP

Political definition.  

relating to the government or the public affairs of a country.

relating to the ideas or strategies of a particular party or group in politics

Encouraging people to be vaccinated to protect their health and others is not political FFS.

• Forum MVP

Dso just encouraged fans to get vaccinated. That’s why I didn’t like the comment telling Dso to stop being political because they weren’t being political It’s like saying please be an organ donor. That’s not political either. 

• Forum MVP
36 minutes ago, Rude said:

Dso just encouraged fans to get vaccinated. That’s why I didn’t like the comment telling Dso to stop being political because they weren’t being political It’s like saying please be an organ donor. That’s not political either. 

No, but after awhile both get annoying. 

• Forum MVP

I would prefer that the band just played music and leave health discussions elsewhere. Call it political or not, it's a highly sensitive and polarized issue. If it's so important to their health then proof of test should be required (not vaccination,  one could but asymptomatic and go to the show and spread it.). 

But seriously,  is everyone in the band doing what they can to be healthy, boost their immune system? Or are they living their lives,  vaccinated, but all the same otherwise. What we have is a health pandemic and it is much bigger than covid. Drinking alcohol during and after shows its certainly going to suppress immunity and increase chances of getting it.  Are we going to mandate that? Just pushing the vaccine without changing the way we live is not going to fix this.  I'm sorry for those who blindly believe and follow what they are told.... but in case you haven't noticed, the government and pharmaceutical cooperations dont have your back when it comes to health. Look at the FDA, USDA, health care, the pharmaceutical industry. If you take the mainstream route to understanding the body and health then you are lost.  Look at the world- obesity everywhere and normalized,  heart disease, diabetes,  mass starvation/malnourishment, massive rise in autoimmune disorders. These things for the most part are caused by the way we live and are mostly VERY PREVENTABLE.  Are we going to ban foods that directly lead to heart disease and diabetes? Are we going to stop destroying the environment that we depend on, are we going to suddenly realize that it's wrong that people are starving while literally 1/3 of the food we produce ends up in landfills (where it rots, not composts, and creates a significant source of greenhouse gasses) (not to mention the massive amount of land devoted to monocropped soy corn etx that aren't even for eating). Are we going to ban cigarretes when we plainly know their ill health effects? How about we ban smoking at outdoor shows? I didn't choose to inhale your cigarette and it doesn't matter if you aren't right near me. People don't give a fuck about other people or health yet they push this vaccine like its the messiah,  all the while politicizing it and shaming others who question it.  The Human race is lost and vaccinating everyone is not the panacea that its pushed as. 

That being said, the band can say whatever they want. Its their choice,  i dont have to agree, and for the time being i will continue to dance. 

• Like (+1) 5

• Forum MVP

If you are easily annoyed with political speech, never go to a Bruce Springsteen show ,  he’s got something to say at every show … me and the Boss are on opposite ends of the political spectrum, but I still love him and his music … Aaron is a true libertarian and his reply speaks logic.

In the early 90's, I saw portion of a U2 concert on television.  U2 had a segment of their set where Bono tried to call the President on the phone.  The President at the time was George Bush.  Bono was trying to make some sort of political statement, of which I do not remember the specifics. 

I was already very immersed in the Dead scene by that point and remembered how absurd it was , IMHO, for a musical artist to do something so non-musical in their show.  After all, I was and still am a purist to that regard.  The Grateful Dead focused on one thing while on stage........100% attention on their music, which is required to deliver a high quality, non-scripted performance.  I was never the type to appreciate any sort of "show" aspect in a live concert performance.  Not my thing.  I am not into pyrotechnics, stage dancers, bands who destroy their instruments as a matter of routine, etc.  And most of all......I do not like politics with my music.  My opinion will always go back to that U2 concert and the juxtaposition of how unthinkable it would be for my favorite band (The Grateful Dead) to do something as silly as stop the show to call the president.  Come to think of it.....they didn't say anything at all.  They just played their music.  

My opinion is not at all impacted by where one stands on the political spectrum.  Whether I agree with your politics or not.....I do not like it when musicians use their pulpit to talk about politics.  I don't want to hear Ted Nugent rant about his 2nd Amendment rites, I don't want to see Sinead O'Conner rip a photo of the Pope, and I don't want to hear Springsteen speak about his liberal leanings.  Write a song about your beliefs.  Be creative in the way you say it, so as to encourage independent thought and development of one's own opinions (ex...Bob Dylan and Neil Young).  Sing your song and move on please.  No lectures.  Musicians are certainly entitled to expressing their opinions on stage, but it has always been a major pet peeve of mine.  That is just my taste as developed by my time spent with the best band in the land.  It is certainly not an edict on what bands should do...or not do.  But it is a major turn-off for me.  

Edited by Mojo Hand
  • Like (+1) 2

• Forum MVP
10 hours ago, comesatime said:

Seems like everything is political now … I’m ok with those sort of public announcements ( I’m vaxed ) …fuck biden thought 

I despise all politicians. They lie to gain power. But I listen to my doctor, I look at research from valid sources and I make an informed decision. I took a flu shot last year for the 1st time because flu is a big killer of babies and wanted to protect our new baby. I got the covid shot to protect my parents back when the original strain didnt really affect healthy younger people. I’m so glad I’m vaxxed and know my risk of a 2 month illness is pretty much non existent. This thing is a bitch and it just killed another person I went to high school with that was healthy and had young kids. Make your own choices what to put into your body and private businesses will make their choices to protect their employees and customers as well. I don’t want to see more people die from a transmittable disease. Therein lies the difference. Someone’s obesity doesn’t kill their parents. If obesity transmitted a deadly disease you would see the end of Coca Cola. In America you can go wild and kill yourself drinking but if you drive drunk you go to jail as it affects others. Smoking is banned indoors almost everywhere as it can affect the health of others. 

• Like (+1) 3

• Forum MVP

All life is political!!!  Music, is probably one of the most political polarizers that ever existed.  Through song.  Have we not all found solace in music that in itself has a message.  DSO PLEASE DO NOT EVER STOP PLAYING MORNING DEW!!!!!   

Politics is in everything we do.  Our freedoms are intertwined with political concepts, documents, active legislation and interpretation.  Driving is political.  It once was 55, then unlimited in Montana until judicial review.  Abortion, smoking, cannabis, speech, hate speech, free movement, Commerce Clause(this one deserves capitals), health care, mail deliveries, quality of air we breath, water we drink, food we consume, drugs we take, some that mother give you do nothing at all, go ask Alice........

Our whole existence is political.  Part of the beauty of GD!!!!    I mean, I would have no problem doing a shakedown with Anne Coulter!!!!  No problem at all!!!  Those tight dresses she wears as she espouses her political rhetoric, wait, my attraction and and open discussion about sexualizing this person with a mind by commenting on her tight dresses---me too--lgbt---just being black---its all and everything in our lives are political.   

I do pay to see the music.  I dont pay to hear political commentary, but wait, if I really know the music, I also know that I am paying for political commentary.  

US BLUES?   Steal my wife ruined my life, and not even a goat to pet.   I never learned to duck, stupid people face things head on with blind faith and a valor that gets them killed.  As many of our brother and sisters have faced in "American" events, conflicts, wars.  To believe you give your life so those you love may keep the lives they have, the guarantees of rights that prohibit government behaviors, trampled on by almost all administrations.  The great society that enslaved a race that was claimed to need saving.   Institutions that cost millions of lives but are free from penalties that any of us would face if the same acts were committed.   

Trump would of saved millions of lives if the vaccines were released earlier, before the election.  But, we needed to trust the science.  Now, 1 person overides a panel of experts about boosters.  Where is the science.  Why is the media, something we are exposed to everyday weighted towards one side than the other?  When another group comes along and plays the same game, they are labeled as the mouth for a particular party.   West Virginia at the moment is the fulcrum for our country's sanity.   

WHAT IS AMERICAN LIFE WITH OUT A POLITICAL LIFE?  

May not be popular but those who do not see every movement we make through space and time in our geographic location is based on political decisions be it past, present or near future.   

I want DSO to make money so they continue and get to see them more.  As a business, they will do better once Covid-19 goes away.   I am ok with DSO throwing out their self interested ideas.  I love them throwing out their self interested music.  They make money playing GD. Its in their interest to play good GD consistently to pack shows. Many of us are ok with that? 

HIV is a transmittable disease.  It took out a lot of people in a horrible way.  They have drugs now that can prevent the spread.  Government should force all sexually active people to take these drugs to prevent HIV which has killed many more people than Covid!!!!    

Hope some take the time and learn about how our country's politics evolved and produce one of the best governing system that ever existed.   Then read Tocqueville.....  

Your lives are political whether you want them to be or not.  The music you love, is absolutely political.  Beat it on down the line...labor unions-----who wants to make $5 a day?   

We live in a world of Covid-----Please allow me to live my life as long as my behavior does not interfere with the rights bestowed upon my fellow person.   Not being vaccinated does not interfere with the rights of my fellow person.   The thing our great political system not only ignores but discourages is natural selection.  Natural Selection is political but with a feminized society not as altruistic as indifferent lead by mass media, we forget, WE ARE RESPONSIBLE FOR OURSLEVES!!!!!   

DSO wants to share their opinion, so what------you going to tell Phil to shut up about his donating liver to old alcoholics speech?   I mean, he really should say, dont drink.  Opinions, I used to have many.  Now, mine our more few.  I have learned my opinions change the more I learn and the more I get to have reasonable discourse with intelligent people that look deeper into issues.  Just as there is always a person behind a pretty face, there is institutional constructs, philosophical attachments, and depths of understanding of what it really means to be free and how we have been allowing our freedom to erode as we share less space with more people and disconnecting ourselves from nature into our own arbitrary construct of opinion making.  

• Like (+1) 1

• Forum MVP

Hey are you Covid vaccinated?   Well no,  I am not comfortable with the vaccine. 

Hey, are you HPV(warts) vaccinated?  I just want to know because I saw you use the bathroom, and I have to go now.  just want to make sure your not given me warts.  ---No, I am not HPV vaccinated. ----Awkward  

Hey baby, when is the last time you were tested?  Tested for what?  Everything...HIV, HSV, HPV, Sphyills, gonoreah, crabs, UTI.   Is the guy above your friend?  He does not have HPV vaccine.  Have you ever used toliet after him?  Sweetie----pulls out cell phone----here is official list of all my vaccines.  I even got a rabies one.  OMG, it hurt, but we are good.  I may have to stop however because of my diabetes.  If I go into coma, just put something sweet in my mouth and I will come out of it.   ----Awesome!!!!!!

Hey Jim, sorry to hear about your mom.  Covid took her fast.  Yea...was she vaccinated, no.  Wow, sounds like it was her fault for dying when she could of prevented.  Yea, it reminds me that I need a prostrate exam to make sure I can prevent any possible cancers.  Good idea, my wife just got a shingles vaccine because she saw all the pain I went through.   Also, they saved her left breast with early breast cancer detection with her yearly mamo gram.   That's just great.  Its awesome we can stop natural selection, continue living, passing off our genes to our kids who will then pass on our defective genes to their kids.   Medicine is just wonderful for the human race as a species.   We will all be really set when shit really hits the fan. Not only that, we can live longer while being less healthy,  on the burdens of other.  Not only that, the media is now celebrating the little to large unhealthy look.   They are marketing it as sexy.   Americas health advancements.  Just amazing and awesome.   Some people even complain about not knowing how to be healthy.   

There may just be a change coming.  Now that Micky D workers are making 18-20 hour locally and cost of fast food going up, it may actually be cheaper to buy brocilli than fast food.   Cant you just grow broccoli in your back yard?  No, that takes to much time.  Besides I don't know how to.  Who knows how to grow their own food?   We make where food comes from irrelevant, dissociated from ourselves, make where you eat appealing, emotional, economical, class laden, and most of all---processed.  

Sorry------we think we are so human, but we have been spending our lives dehumanizing ourselves under some guise of progression.  What have we progressed too?  Opinions, action, diluted votes, sub par candidates,  lesser of evils when the whole point of our government is to remove evils and impediments for individual growth----not around the waist.   

Virginia had force sterilization when I was a child. I think vaccinations as well if I wanted to attend school.  I was happy to find out my mom only took a little thalidomide while pregnant, and that polio was eradicated by a earlier generation at the cost of possible HIV in my generation. 

How does anyone force another to put something in their bodies they don't want.  If your a girl its called RAPE and its illegal.   Break it down and you will see the comparison.  

I think I have trust in the free market on this one.  That's a chapter or two and not meant for this forum. 

Lot of words to throw out.  Most only makes sense to me-----For full disclosure---I got two doses of Pfizer and will get a booster after 6 months.  My risk benefit analysis came to conclusion it was best to get vaccinated.  I have kids and do not want them anymore effected by this virus. I wish more people would get the vaccine.  I wish the socio-political nature of the vaccine was not so polarized.  Cant everyone see it as a Tetanus shot?  I pause my feelings, as I would give serious offense to myself if I did not bow to what it means to be a individual with self determination in a country that is struggling with our constitutional freedoms. Resist any mandates any government tries to put upon you that is beyond the scope of power in which the politic body gives them.  It is your civic virtue to do so!!!

• Like (+1) 3

4 hours ago, Mojo Hand said:

Personally.... I don't care which side you are on.  I just generally prefer mature conversation.

'"......Ain't no time to hate"

Negative energy.  yuck.

I agree.  And, no, you aren't creating negative energy.  Comesatime owns that.

• Like (+1) 2

• Forum MVP
31 minutes ago, sandflea said:

I agree.  And, no, you aren't creating negative energy.  Comesatime owns that.

You guys need to loosen your panty’s … if you don’t like someone’s post, ignore it and move on , don’t call them out and continue the madness , wtf lol , just some advice. 😉