Warfield Night #2 2/5/22

Dharmada

I am thinking the band is pretty stoked to have Bobby, or Donna, or any other band member on stage with them.  No, I was not there but I think that'd be a real treat to catch as well. 

So Bobby played / sang 5 tunes, Shakedown, Cassidy, China>Rider, AM Do.  Does anyone else think it is odd that 4 of the 5 tunes are Jerry tunes???

And if you never seen the Atlanta 30 Jun, 2019 version of D&Co SOTM, it's amazing!

Perhaps an analogy.  I am a huge fan of the Philadelphia 76ers.  Maurice Cheeks is my all-time favorite player.  He is a point guard and a hall-of-famer.  My guess is that he is in his 70's.  I would be pissed if the Sixers allowed him to run the point guard in a playoff game this year........out of respect, nostalgia, or otherwise.  

I am a Bobby freak. Always have been.  His music is what gets me going the most of all.  I am a musician and songwriter.  He is my musical hero.  But he's clearly lost his fastball.

Sure......I'd love to see Bobby sit-in, but not at the expense of great music.  I would rather Eaton stay on stage and play, and have Bobby there as an extra guitar player.  When he chooses to take the reigns and sing a bunch of jerry songs and dictate the pace, that's not great music.  I have chosen to forego Dead and Company for many of the same reasons many of you have chosen to skip it.  And those reasons were on stage with DSO at the Warfield.  

• Like (+1) 2
6 hours ago, Greg from Chestertown said:

I mean, it is Bobby, come on, but yea, watch the crowd bobbing and weaving at the beginning of Shakedown and towards the end everyone is kinda standing around. Even Lisa looked a little lost. I couldn’t agree more with the earlier post about Bobby singing Jerry tunes. It’s just not right. I think he butchers them. Haven’t heard much though, don’t want to have to unremember them. Bobby should just retire. The torch has been passed. 

To be fair, the Shakedown jam was pretty shakey. It got better from that point on.  

• Forum MVP

As someone who pokes fun at Bobby and the horrific tempo that he chooses to play their music at now, let me add that he is tied for first for my favorite musician of all time with Jerry and Phil.

Our favorite band does not exist without him.

Part of my problem is I get so excited to see any version of the GD, which I include DSO into that population, and I know what the music can be.  This amplifies my disappointment when it falls short of that.  

Bobby is a living legend and can do whatever the fuck he wants, in my view.

But as a rabid fan I feel that, on a much smaller and completely insignificant scale, I have earned the right to give my opinion.

The truth is that he plays it slower because it allows him to continue to play at all.  He’s a beast still, no matter how crappy some of it sounds hahaha.

Not to go down “that” rabbit hole again with this community but I also support the band to allow Bob to do his “thing”.  To lift up those original members on which we dance upon their historical backs. 

Just hoping our prodigal son still continues to find occasional invites to come home. 

• Forum MVP

It is quite the compliment to Dark Star Orchestra to have Bobby join them on stage. It’s not like he’s doing that for other bands. It reminds me of the story when Dylan was playing the Warfield when his career was in a slump in the eighties. Ticket sales were down. Jerry joined him one night and the place was sold out. At Jerry’s funeral, Dylan told someone, can’t remember who, ‘he was there for me when no one else was.’ 

• Forum MVP
17 hours ago, Mojo Hand said:

Perhaps an analogy.  I am a huge fan of the Philadelphia 76ers.  Maurice Cheeks is my all-time favorite player.  He is a point guard and a hall-of-famer.  My guess is that he is in his 70's.  I would be pissed if the Sixers allowed him to run the point guard in a playoff game this year........out of respect, nostalgia, or otherwise.  

I am a Bobby freak. Always have been.  His music is what gets me going the most of all.  I am a musician and songwriter.  He is my musical hero.  But he's clearly lost his fastball.

Sure......I'd love to see Bobby sit-in, but not at the expense of great music.  I would rather Eaton stay on stage and play, and have Bobby there as an extra guitar player.  When he chooses to take the reigns and sing a bunch of jerry songs and dictate the pace, that's not great music.  I have chosen to forego Dead and Company for many of the same reasons many of you have chosen to skip it.  And those reasons were on stage with DSO at the Warfield.  

That is the worst analogy I’ve ever heard. Bobby being on stage didn’t cost dso a shot in the jam band finals. This is music, not a scored sport. The creator of this music sat in and for 40 minutes they played a slightly different style of music with a legend.  You’d likely hate jazz fest as at 2am on Frenchmen St there are tons of collaborations where a member from 5 different bands come together to do something different. My suggestion is see more shows. The more you see, the more you crave something like this that’s a bit different. Gr8fulpair and I freaking loved when Donna joined the band in Birmingham for a Jerry band show. We saw something unique. Bobby has joined the band like 3x or so ever? 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

I don't know what to make of this thread...

Night 1 at Warfield, Peter Rowan joins DSO and plays 7 and sings 5 of the 7 tunes of Set I and no one even mentions it.  Bob Weir comes out and sings 5 and we are about 50/50 whether he should have come out on stage or not. 

I have seen the Morning Dew attachment above and it I too think it falls waaay short of how Jeff would sing it, and perhaps Bobby did over stay his invitation. But that is still cool beans that he come out and did what he did, and am glad DSO rolled out the welcome mat for Mr. Weir to do so. 

• Like (+1) 1

Peter Rowan was great. Everyone should go see him at Jubilee. 

Bob’s 5th time with DSO and first since (as PoetryGirl mentioned) 2014. 

Were they the best DSO shows I’ve ever seen? Maybe not. But it was a very special weekend at a very special place. I feel blessed to have been there. 

• Like (+1) 4
  • Thanks (+1) 1
8 minutes ago, Dharmada said:

Peter Rowan was great. Everyone should go see him at Jubilee. 

Bob’s 5th time with DSO and first since (as PoetryGirl mentioned) 2014. 

Were they the best DSO shows I’ve ever seen? Maybe not. But it was a very special weekend at a very special place. I feel blessed to have been there. 

I was also there and neither of the guest appearances detracted from the DSO performance.

When Weir came out Saturday night, they had already played three jammed-out songs. Weir’s guest slot didn’t cost us any headiness. It DID add to the family vibe, though. It was a great time and a darn good show.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Thanks (+1) 2
  • 1 month later...

So I keep looking for this show so I can re-listen to it.  I feel it is important that I find a copy and here is why.  While attending the show I think the second set might have blown my mind.  I am hoping to get a copy and listen to it backwards to see if my mind will come back together.  Unfortunately, I haven't been able to find it and now I am walking around bumping into things and drool on myself (wanting to get to more shows).  Also, in all seriousness, I really want to find out if the second set was as good as remember it or if it was enhanced by magic and other conjuring that normal occurs at a good jam band show.  So, if anyone knows of a copy of this, please let me know...

Thanks in advance.