The end of weekday concerts

Rude

• Forum MVP

Saw Billy strings tour today. 3 day weekends. Rinse repeal. DSO’s fall tour is 2 or 3 show weekend runs. Is this the new model? Don’t play Tuesdays? Maximize time at home as well as profit. No more actual tours where we can pop in the car and follow bands?? Panic has been doing that model for a while as well as Phish. I guess now DSO and Billy strings are on the bus. Productivity during the week has gone up 4.5% since the music died. The powers that be got their wish. Stay home weekdays and feel free to blow it out on weekends. It was a brilliantly executed plan to change our habits. I heard Deadco was paid handsomely to hang it up as they were the last holdouts doing Tuesday shows in the summer. The kids will be like “You mean there were concerts on weekdays?”  “When I was young-er there were son.” “How could you keep up with the productivity threshold of 4.37 quintix, dad.”  Im already prepping myself for that convo. 

• Forum MVP

I think that in addition to the juice being worth the squeeze vis a vis tickets sales and filling a venue on the weekend, a lot of the bands you’re referring to could use the rest after a weekend run whilst they travel and take the circus to the next city.

I just saw TAB on a Monday and Tuesday night last week, and I needed some rest as well haha.

Goose plays all days of the week.  They’re younger.

• Forum MVP

That's what I was referring to with Billy Strings in 2018, he was presenting tours with one night at multiple cities within driving range. With the

Grateful Dead I learned fairly quickly that I had to do the full tour to experience the intricacies of each show and the different towns. Duprees Diamond news parking lot leaflets help teach me to tour and back in the 80's gas was cheap, so only time and distance had to be factored in. I venture to say that Billy has launched from Bluegrass in to full psychedelia, esp with his song SPINNING. I agree with you TB about his knowledge of music, life and vibrations. He now has sign up for presale before he chooses the venue so he can book one that is the appropriate size. I still would have liked to have been in Palo Alto just to get frosted again, can't believe the Californians didn't sell that one out. In my meetings with him before 2019, he was always kind, generous and easy to talk to and so were the other band members. that's when they were all in a van pulling an equipment trailer. In 2019 he switched to a tour bus, rightfully so, and started doing multiple night stands. (Louisville January 2019 Headliners). I've heard he 's been 200 shows a year starting back in 2012, playing everywhere he could. 

It looks like this fall tour has one 3 day weekend to kick it off, followed by a five day gap and then 13 shows in 17 days, a couple Tuesdays and even a Monday.  Looks pretty good except that a couple in my driving range if it was a weekend are on Tuesdays. Glad to have Long Island coming up the weekend after Thanksgiving, can’t make anything else this round. 

• Forum MVP
22 hours ago, Tom Banjo said:

Ya but Goose doesn't even have their own sound. It's like water down phish. 

The point isn’t whether Goose is worthwhile to tour with or not, it’s that they offer a full week structure like RD is discussing, and I think that is primarily because they’re younger humans.

So they have both the energy and the desire/need to play more frequently.

And the dig about not having their own sound on the DSO board is sort of ironic.  😆

• Haha (+1) 1

• Forum MVP

Sounds like someone has ruffled Goose feathers. I don't really see the irony. DSO plays GD. If Goose played Phish sounding like phish would be a positive not a knock. If imitation is there goal, they doing great. If they trying to original (DSO is not), they laying a goose egg.

• Forum MVP

Haha, that’s awesome.  🙂

I really don’t.  No skin in the game at all, I promise.

I can see the comparison to Phish.  Can’t see how we went from lack of a unique sound is bad, to would now be a good, but I think I have an idea.

Whatever works for you, Tom.  

Back to the OP, if you want to see a show on a weekday and they’re in town, Goose is worthwhile for anyone reading this.  

I don’t put them in the same hemisphere as Garcia or anything crazy like that, but they do some neat things, some of which is unique to them.  I have seen Phish and Goose, both.

My humble opinion 😊

• Forum MVP
20 minutes ago, DesertDead said:

Back to the OP, if you want to see a show on a weekday and they’re in town, Goose is worthwhile for anyone reading this.  

I saw Goose in Aug and they ripped it up pretty well!  While I was impressed with their effort, they don't make me want to drop everything for the next opportunity.  If it's an easy up-and-back - I'll take that ride again. 

• Like (+1) 1

• Forum MVP
2 hours ago, Tom Banjo said:

I hope you guys know I'm just talking shit. It's a common thing people do in the area I grew up in. I don't even really know that much about the Geese.

absolutely assumed that, Tom, but do appreciate the note back.  Same for me, just having a little casual chat 😎

and whilst I do not suspect you’ll fall in love with the Geese, I wager you will find some low-level admiration for them if you take a bit of time with some of their stuff

cheers!

DD

• Forum MVP

We listened to Trey Goose during a trim recently. Found it kind of boring but I wasn't really paying attention. Found pigeons playing ping pong to be more interesting that day. But I usually just keep my headphones in and listen to the GD.

• Haha (+1) 1