Who Are You Hoping Plays Gratefulfest 11?

Dancer'sChoice

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Advisory Board

Ok, Gans like to get up on his soapbox often when he preforms, and one thing I HATE is when politics get thrown into live music... write a song about it, whatever, but I HATE when they get up there, and rant about their political views... Also, he's a control freak... I've been around him multiple times and I just don't like the way he is when not out the "public" eye...

• Advisory Board
Herdy can sometimes have ideas that many of us disagree with. He's almost as outspoken as David is. Let him bayy and play, kick his heals up and complain. Still we all love him.

Peace, Fast Music, and Hot Girls for all.

Doc

That's whats so great about this country... I can have my opinions, and y'all can to... agree with me, disagree with me, it's all good to me... I knows what I like and I knows what I don't, and I'm not afraid to speak my mind about it!

I wasn't trying to be critical at all. I just like to understand why people feel the way they do. I also dislike when musicians chat it up about politics on stage. I mean, seriously, Eddie Vedder may be a good song writer, but people surely didn't pay ticketmaster 75 bucks to hear his political science dissertation. I much prefer the method the Dead employed, where they got on the stage, tuned up, and played for hours. Then at the end of the night said, "thanks, drive safely."

Ok, Gans like to get up on his soapbox often when he preforms, and one thing I HATE is when politics get thrown into live music... write a song about it, whatever, but I HATE when they get up there, and rant about their political views... Also, he's a control freak... I've been around him multiple times and I just don't like the way he is when not out the "public" eye...

I see...I guess I didn't hear him rant when I saw him play live but I've only seen him once. Thanks for the clarification Herdy...that makes a lot more sense now. I dislike the political rap too...it's a bad trip to get on.

• Forum MVP
.... I dislike the political rap too...it's a bad trip to get on.

Throughout history musical shows has been an influence in politics. It's nothing new...actually there is very much less of music/politics than I've noticed in the past. In the early sixties (which was actually just an extension of the fifties) folk music was filled with political statements. During the Viet Nam War years musicians influenced the public with the antiwar songs. Crosby Stills Nash and Young spoke out strongly on many issues and continue to do so with a more tired song. David Crosby wrote an excellent history of music as a means of political voice, I think the name of that book is "Stand Up and Be Counted".

We can all cheer the political songs or tern a deaf ear and go get a beer when David sings "Ohio".

It's fine to have different ideas about what you want to enjoy.

Peace, Love, and "This Land is Your Land"

Doc

• Forum MVP
There he goes... Micro-managing a festival he won't even be at! LOL!!

I just hope that asshat, Gans, won't be there...

can we have one gratefulfest without keller playing??? He single-handedly brings in the tweaker crowd and over crowding in general.

• Forum MVP
can we have one gratefulfest without keller playing??? He single-handedly brings in the tweaker crowd and over crowding in general.

I don't think so. I'm a Keller fan ;);) BUT his sets at Gfest are VERY lacking and VERY VERY SHORT! I'd like to see him play a full 2 sets on Thursday night or early during the day sometime on the weekend. I think Boom Box gets all the tweeking going on.

Party On Garth :)

• Forum MVP

Keller does zero for me .... I vote him "thumbs down" like the Roman Emperor at the Colosseum ..

As for your lineup Dr. Vapor

you sure got Donna doing some time... actually triple time.. she may need a personal assistant for the Ledges if that is the case..... I would be happy to fill that void.... since you won't be at the Festival ..

• Advisory Board
Throughout history musical shows has been an influence in politics. It's nothing new...actually there is very much less of music/politics than I've noticed in the past. In the early sixties (which was actually just an extension of the fifties) folk music was filled with political statements. During the Viet Nam War years musicians influenced the public with the antiwar songs. Crosby Stills Nash and Young spoke out strongly on many issues and continue to do so with a more tired song. David Crosby wrote an excellent history of music as a means of political voice, I think the name of that book is "Stand Up and Be Counted".

We can all cheer the political songs or tern a deaf ear and go get a beer when David sings "Ohio".

It's fine to have different ideas about what you want to enjoy.

Peace, Love, and "This Land is Your Land"

Doc

I have NO problem with musicians WRITING a SONG about their political views, BUT I do have a problem when they stop playing music, go up to the mic, and start spewing anti-whatever with political motivations behind their speech. I don't pay money for concert tickets to go to a one-manned political debate... If they have something to say, then by all means say it over a blog, or their website, or write a publication, but do NOT speak your personal opinions on politics onstage... You're a musician... play the fucking music... it's what you get paid to do, and it's what we pay to see...

Gans is going to be there. I've talked to Evan before and he considers Gans a staple. As far as his political talk, I agree he was over the top in 08 (even though i agreed with most of what he said) but i don't recall a single political rant last year. David was just very pissed off with the way things were in 07 & 08 and it was coming into his performances. I was kind of shocked because i've been seeing David for about a decade and it's not a common occurance for him.

My list:

CORNMEAL CORNMEAL CORNMEAL

I'd love to see Rice and Rowan back (especially if Sharon Gilchrist is back on mandolin).

Grace Potter and the Nocturnals (if not at G-Fest than sometime during the summer).

Jeremiah Puddleduck

CORNMEAL

including last year's jgbb - great set!!

I have some nice pictures of that set [hot tuna] but for some reason i never put them online.

• Forum MVP

I would certainly pass on Keller or Gans to get an extra set or two from DSO or TN. Seems like Cornmeal has got to happen with all the fervor around here. My vote would be for JGB w Seals and Stu again. I thought their set was great.

Archived