Westbury 5/5

found

• Forum MVP

Lisa... Harmonica... Next time you see me... Historic debut. Sounded great. Can't wait to hear it on some more pig tunes.

4/16/72

Was pretty sure it was this show after sugaree. Saw dso do this at the music hall in williamsburg except I don't think they did dire wolf after playin in brooklyn but they did this time. Filler was second that emotion. Monster good lovin, smokin cumberland, drippy jam between truckin and mamu. Band had the mojo workin

• Advisory Board

Lisa playing harp? Wow... monumental.

100000% agreed!!!! I wanna hear that!!!!!!! With her powerful vocals, and harmonica skills, you have an angel upon stage!!!

LOVE LISA MACKEY!!!!!!!!!!!!

4/16/72

The setlist:

Set 1:

Greatest Story Ever Told

Sugaree

Chinatown Shuffle

Black Throated Wind

Tennessee Jed

Mr. Charlie

Beat It On Down The Line

China Cat Sunflower>

I Know You Rider

Mexicali Blues

Loser

Next Time You See Me *

Playing In The Band

Dire Wolf

Set 2:

Good Lovin'

Cumberland Blues

El Paso

Deal

Truckin'>

Jam>

The Other One>

Me & My Uncle>

The Other One>

Not Fade Away>

Goin' Down the Road Feeling Bad>

Not Fade Away

(no encore)

* Lisa on harmonica - 1st time playing

pictures here> http://www.philzone.org/discus/messages/439459/648283.html?1304684599

Note that DSO skipped the 1st Other One; went right into Me & My Uncle after the jam, then did verse one of The Other One, then NFA>GDTRFB>NFA

DSO encore'd with Second That Emotion

Listen here>

set 1> http://www.ustream.tv/recorded/14507453

set 2> http://www.ustream.tv/recorded/14510002

• Forum MVP

Not only did Lisa play harp, but amazing as it seems, as Rob Koritz told us right before the filler, she just picked it up a month ago!!! Man, she wailed! I guess when you have musical talent, as Lisa has in abundance, you just "got it!" She knocked my socks off. Terrific show and great to be in our home-town venue.

• Forum MVP

Wow!! Incredible Cinco de Mayo surprise! What a blessing for you all to see that!

Oh yea! Cosmic I was able to be present for this. This was first show since my mom passed a couple of weeks ago and I consider this a mitzvah.

I would not have been in NYC otherwise...danced hard early and often through yet another wonderful DSO performance as it began my journey home...through Philly and Oneonta of course!

I hadn't seen DSO since 6/3/2010 at Music Hall of Williamsburg so I was really excited going into last night's show...that was until I figured out pretty quickly that they were playing 4/16/72, the same exact show that was played at the Williamsburg. Band sounded great, but I don't think there is any excuse for this.

I know Eaton's job of picking the setlists is brutal and usually I think he does a pretty decent job, but to play the exact same show in the same NY area less than a year apart is kind of weak in my opinion.

Has anyone else had this happen to them? Again, the band sounded great, but I must admit it sucked to get the exact same show and know everything that was coming.

I also think this band has become way too fixated on the early stuff. With JK it was much more spread out in terms of eras played. 80's 90's seem to get the shaft.

Thanks so much for the stream. I am listening to the show now and it sounds great. Mr. Charlie told me so!!!! Wish I could have been there. I am sure it was a much better experience than Irving Plaza on Saturday (where I will never go again).

Again, I am genuinely thankful for the generous soul who streamed this show so that I can listen to this beautiful music at work today.

Hope everyone has a great weekend.

• Forum MVP

80s and 90s have gotten gotten the shaft so to speak but only to make way for more 60's and early 70's....

Must disagree with you. I looked in our tour book for this and the last few tours and there is an equal representation of all eras.(my vocal cords certainly feel the different eras!!) Don't know what happened with the 4/16/72 repeat but

even though same songs.... way different result. Too much fixation on set lists, IMHO, and not enough on content. I could play Dark Star all night and every night and it would turn out different every time. Just sayin................;.;.

• Forum MVP

I stand corrected. :wacko: Looking back on the last tour there was a bunch of 80s and 90s shows. No complaints here, I love it all, but for me 60s, early 70s and Elective Sets are the best. That being said, any show any era can be great when ya'll play it. :cheers: Thanks!

• Forum MVP

Oh yea! Cosmic I was able to be present for this. This was first show since my mom passed a couple of weeks ago and I consider this a mitzvah.

I would not have been in NYC otherwise...danced hard early and often through yet another wonderful DSO performance as it began my journey home...through Philly and Oneonta of course!

So sorry to hear about your Mom 2muchfun. The music is very healing--I have always found it so. Glad you were able to get a nice dose last night.

Must disagree with you. I looked in our tour book for this and the last few tours and there is an equal representation of all eras.(my vocal cords certainly feel the different eras!!) Don't know what happened with the 4/16/72 repeat but

even though same songs.... way different result. Too much fixation on set lists, IMHO, and not enough on content. I could play Dark Star all night and every night and it would turn out different every time. Just sayin................;.;.

I could listen to you playing Dark Star every night,[ and my experience would be totally different each time, but never bored by it]. [Dark Star should be played every night by the way].

Guest Lisacat
I hadn't seen DSO since 6/3/2010 at Music Hall of Williamsburg so I was really excited going into last night's show...that was until I figured out pretty quickly that they were playing 4/16/72, the same exact show that was played at the Williamsburg. Band sounded great, but I don't think there is any excuse for this.

I know Eaton's job of picking the setlists is brutal and usually I think he does a pretty decent job, but to play the exact same show in the same NY area less than a year apart is kind of weak in my opinion.

Has anyone else had this happen to them? Again, the band sounded great, but I must admit it sucked to get the exact same show and know everything that was coming.

oh the horror! In the 200+ shows I've seen, I think I have only seen a couple of repeats and they were years and states apart and that is quite impressive. A Europe 72 repeat? I would have left immediately.

No one is perfect....

And for the record, there some shows I've seen that I want to see again, and again. The latest Eugene comes to mind.

also think this band has become way too fixated on the early stuff. With JK it was much more spread out in terms of eras played. 80's 90's seem to get the shaft.

Fixated on early stuff????? ouch. There are some of us that would take that night in and night out. (and by the way, when JK was in the band, there were NO pigpen shows!)

Must disagree with you. I looked in our tour book for this and the last few tours and there is an equal representation of all eras.(my vocal cords certainly feel the different eras!!)

I will attest to what Rob is saying being that I just did 10 shows in a row, and I believe it might have been one of the most well-rounded tours I've seen. There were no 80s shows per se BUT there was a 90 show so I got my Brent (and 91 Hornsby and 92 Vince which is not something that happens too often) . I definitely didn't come away from that tour feeling like I was lacking. I actually geeked out one day and figured out I heard roughly 160 different songs.

Too much fixation on set lists, IMHO, and not enough on content. I could play Dark Star all night and every night and it would turn out different every time. Just sayin................;.;.

AMEN!

• Forum MVP

I think there was an initial set back when y'all first started playing these Europe 72 shows and 69 shows but things have balanced back out on these past few tours. I really dig the new show selections anyway... mostly because the band is able to do them justice. But pick whatever shows or electives you want, I'll still be there because it is all about how the music is played. I'm always surprised when I come across a show I haven't listened to and the setlist looks like a clunker but the playing is magnificent. Goes to show you never can tell.

I would have loved to hear a different Euro 72 show but you're totally right Rob, this show was way different... i think it's cool to compare both shows in mind, both of which i liked very much. Good Lovin took a whole new approach this time (and felt longer). The jam from Truckin into MAMU was completely different; psychedelic and spacey whereas last time it felt more of the Eathly realm. I think the biggest note must be made with Lisa on the harmonica. Very happy to have been there and witnessed that.

• Forum MVP

I think there was an initial set back when y'all first started playing these Europe 72 shows and 69 shows but things have balanced back out on these past few tours. I really dig the new show selections anyway... mostly because the band is able to do them justice. But pick whatever shows or electives you want, I'll still be there because it is all about how the music is played. I'm always surprised when I come across a show I haven't listened to and the setlist looks like a clunker but the playing is magnificent. Goes to show you never can tell.

I would have loved to hear a different Euro 72 show but you're totally right Rob, this show was way different... i think it's cool to compare both shows in mind, both of which i liked very much. Good Lovin took a whole new approach this time (and felt longer). The jam from Truckin into MAMU was completely different; psychedelic and spacey whereas last time it felt more of the Eathly realm. I think the biggest note must be made with Lisa on the harmonica. Very happy to have been there and witnessed that.

Also, when we played Williamsburgh, we went with Dead base for the set list and as it turns out it was incorrect. Last nights show was correct according to the master reels.

When I was in Phil and friends some of the set lists looked like real clunkers on paper. But, the shows were crackling!!!!!

Guest Rob Eaton

I do my very best to insure we are always doing something different. I missed this one... It's my fault..... You can fire me now!

Archived