Free Dso Springfield 7/12/12

Tom Banjo

Man, am I just a tiny bit jealous of all the folks that were able to make this free show. 6/14/76 is such a classic, and I am quite sure DSO made it sparklle even brighter in their own way. Also, the place seems VERY cool, with no restrictions on coolers, etc.

Can't wait to read some reviews !!!

• Forum MVP

06/14/76

Beacon Theater - New York City, NY

Set 1:

Cold Rain And Snow

Mama Tried

Row Jimmy

Cassidy

Brown-Eyed Women

Big River

Might As Well

Lazy Lightnin'

Supplication

Tennessee Jed

Playin' In The Band

Set 2:

The Wheel

Samson And Delilah

High Time

The Music Never Stopped

Crazy Fingers

Dancin' In The Streets

Cosmic Charlie

Help On The Way

Slipknot!

Franklin's Tower

Around And Around

Encore:

U.S. Blues

• Forum MVP

amazing .... once again ...

why people who travel all the country to stand in crowded venues DO NOT make a point to put Springfield as a must show to go to I will never understand...

why this is not a weekend you lock in ..... I don't get to many shows anymore but this is the best place to see Dark Star in the country .... not kidding ....

1. Outdoors

2. Free

3. bring your own cooler in

4. amazing stage, venue, dancing space, and the new DSO sound system .... wow

5. and chasing it with another free show today in Charleston, WV ....

I haven't been able to make any shows this summer until Harrisburg this upcoming Saturday. I have to say, It hurts to have missed this one. What a fabulous setlist! And I'm sure DSO just burned it up the way they always do! And the Teacher Matt reviews of this venue might just get me out that way one of these days...

• Forum MVP

Fantastic show, as always. The first set Might as Well and second set Franklin's were highlights for me. Brought my youngest (9) with me and he had a blast dancing and playing with balloons and glow sticks. This is definitely the most family friendly show of the year.

Guest crazy digits

This was one of the sickest shows I've seen in a long time....love this venue too and the Ohio peeps are awesome!

• 4 weeks later...
  • Forum MVP

Whinin boy - got no place to go...

The posts will be coming in over the next few days. I have some half way plans as to how I am going to spend the days off between the shows, but I currently have no solid concert or show plans until Jubilee. In an attempt to stave off boredom, I am going to chime in about my summer fun. I hope to comment on all of the shows I attended on the road to the jubilee tour, but life and such will probably interfere; thus, I wanted to make sure I commented on my favorites first. Springfield was one such favorite.

76 is one of my favorite GD and DSO recreation years. I love the early versions of crazy fingers and more so than the 80's or earlier versions, I am a sucker for the 76 -77 Dancing in the Streets. Thus, as the first set flowed and the late 70's vibe became apparent, DSO ripped through some stellar versions of Cassidy and Brown-Eyed Women the show was beaming with promise. I recognize this promise to be my own, as we all have a favorite years, but my excitement really started to build as we went through Might as Well LL > supplication the show started to feel more and more like a 76s show.

I guess stage clues could have been used to create a greater sense of certainty, but I never really got up close to the stage because we were arriving late and dragging a cooler way bigger than we needed. When we got there, we set up with them and started taking in the Springfield vibe. This was my third stop to the free Springfield show and I just love the venue, the crowd, the staff, and even the cops our understanding. I agree with TeacherMatt that this should be come a must for those that travel from around this country to see this band. Lots of familiar faces, including TeacherM, Bix, a buddy Pat, and Coy to name a few, but I would love to see more of your familiar faces at this gig. As the set closed with TJed and playin I was even more confident that it was a 76 show. I must admit that TJed is one of my least favorite Jerry songs and I'm not always into playing. I don't think I cared much for these on this particular night either, but I was stoked for the possibilities of the 2nd set.

The list of 76 hopefuls for me includes, help slip franklins, dancing, crazy fingers, as well as a few others. Obviously these songs are not unique to 76, but 76 (not counting 75 due to lack of sample size) saw the GD introducing some new classics to their immense catalog to the listeners delight. I think for many of us that spend so much time travel to see this music crazy fingers is a song that has a lot of meaning for us and it kind of rarity in both GD and DSO set lists. Additionally, as previously stated, I just can't get enough of the 76 dancing sound. As I sat most of the first set due to some exhaustion as I drove to philly from the indy show back to chicago then TJen drove Springfield, the 2nd set finally got me up and moving around. The aforementioned songs were def highlights, as well as the Samson and High Time. Hell the whole 2nd set was smoking. One of the best sets I've seen DSO perform in a while and that is saying a lot. I didn't guess the show, but I should have as I am fairly familiar with the 76 Boston run. Several great shows in the run.

Once again, I would urge those that haven't made it to Springfield to add it tho their list of stops. (I will proofread later)

• 2 weeks later...

Archived