Dark Star Jubilee 2013?

jljbirdq

• Replies 485
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think there were about 3,000 folks ~ that place can hold about 60,000 lol The Grateful Dead played there several times in the 80's and 90's.

All the folks in attendance, that I encountered, were very kind and fun.... hugs and smiles all around.  Excellent vibe ... and I hope it stays that way .. no matter the number in attendance ;)

:dsorocks:

• Forum MVP

the jubilee could grow to 25k in attendance  in a venue that holds up to 60k and still be a comfortable event ... with some fine tuning over the next couple of seasons the jubilee could be the premier summer event   !!! it really should be on the west coast and no further than a 10 hour drive from my house ...

Very much agreed. Last year at gathering of the vibes, it possibly couldn't have gotten much worse. Loud rap all night, a strip club/crack den/alcohol vending posse parked directly next to us in a uhaul. At a couple of points we were scared they would come crashing through our tent they were so angry. By the end, the "stripper" and her man were very physical, even throwing the stripper pole at each other and yelling about their crackpipes an inch from our tent..that was right before the cops came and arrested them and the small dog they had (which I saw the man carrying around in his back pocket) was never seen again......I would like to say to each his own, but these people broke the limit for me......jubilee was the most amazing festival I've ever been too on the other hand, despite 12 hours of driving ;)

• Forum MVP

Very much agreed. Last year at gathering of the vibes, it possibly couldn't have gotten much worse. Loud rap all night, a strip club/crack den/alcohol vending posse parked directly next to us in a uhaul. At a couple of points we were scared they would come crashing through our tent they were so angry. By the end, the "stripper" and her man were very physical, even throwing the stripper pole at each other and yelling about their crackpipes an inch from our tent..that was right before the cops came and arrested them and the small dog they had (which I saw the man carrying around in his back pocket) was never seen again......I would like to say to each his own, but these people broke the limit for me......jubilee was the most amazing festival I've ever been too on the other hand, despite 12 hours of driving ;)

Weird...happily we didn't have that problem the year there were the hippie strippers and the mobile pole at the Ledges. I guess it all comes down to having respect for one's self and one's clientele.

I can't really believe there were only 3,000 people last year but it was hard to tell with the weather.  

Hoxeyville draws 3,000+ but is CAPPED at 5,000 and I think that is a pretty good crowd. I kind of like 5,000 for the Jubilee too, 8,000 max.   I couldn't image 25,000-60,000 at the Jubilee.  I think it would change the whole vibe.  

Hoxeyville has had Greensky, Mickey Hart Band, 7 Walkers, the Rhythm Devils, Bruce Hornsby, Cornmeal, Keller, Karl Denson, Boombox, Dumpstaphunkand the Pimps of Joytime......I kind of liken the Jubilee to Hoxeyville.  They use 2 stages and a tent.  But, they DO NOT have adjacent stages (short walks to each) and they have overlapping sets.

As much as I want DSO to make lots of $$$$$$ I hope to not turn the Jubilee into chaos.  

SPECIAL NOTE!  Hey DSO, what have you and the promoters come up with the avoid stage(s) being washed out by heavy rains?  Even though the Jubilee is now Memorial weekend rather than Labor Day weekend, we can still get weird weather. 

So, when do we get the 5 band additions?  I still am guessing Boombox is one of them.

• Forum MVP

You can't make that stuff up can you?   Really----crack pipes and strippers----hmmmmm   nothing about that sounds fun, but encourages me to keep a concealed:{   I got very nice tents, and none of them I want burnt by crackies:}

That was not very nice of me:{   But really, I would not been able to enjoy any time of rest or comfort with that going on with in 1000yards of me.  

Story really makes me sad for the dog:{

You can't make that stuff up can you?   Really----crack pipes and strippers----hmmmmm   nothing about that sounds fun, but encourages me to keep a concealed:{   I got very nice tents, and none of them I want burnt by crackies:}

That was not very nice of me:{   But really, I would not been able to enjoy any time of rest or comfort with that going on with in 1000yards of me.  

Story really makes me sad for the dog:{

Sadly, yes. I didnt make a single part up. And thats just a fraction of it all.....yes i was very sad for the dog too, poor thing wasnt even supposed to be in there in the first place. On another sad note, it seems as if those people just travel around to lots of festivals to try to pocket a little money....hope to not have another encounter again. It was very hard to feel comfortable, but luckily, there was so much music that we tried to stay away as much as possible. The neighbors on the other side of us were very nice, and we tried to treat it like an amusing episode of jerry springer to keep the positivity going. It truly was bad, and isnt very often that things like that happen. At the jubilee, you can be more than assured that you wont be having any experiences like that, no matter how out there your neighbors may be...everyone that we came across was very nice...

Sadly, yes. I didnt make a single part up. And thats just a fraction of it all.....yes i was very sad for the dog too, poor thing wasnt even supposed to be in there in the first place. On another sad note, it seems as if those people just travel around to lots of festivals to try to pocket a little money....hope to not have another encounter again. It was very hard to feel comfortable, but luckily, there was so much music that we tried to stay away as much as possible. The neighbors on the other side of us were very nice, and we tried to treat it like an amusing episode of jerry springer to keep the positivity going. It truly was bad, and isnt very often that things like that happen. At the jubilee, you can be more than assured that you wont be having any experiences like that, no matter how out there your neighbors may be...everyone that we came across was very nice...

could'nt you move?

Jubilee people were and are great.  The organizers and DSO went out of their way to make lemons into lemonade and kudos to the Ragbirds for embracing the spirit and creating a stage where there wasn't one.

DSO and the Dead deserve good people and the good people deserve the wealth of music that was and is the Dead.  Respect all and have a good time at Jubilee 2013!

PS, Don't forget to reinforce those stages this year please! 

PPS, No stripper poles or crack heads!

Ducats...we possibly may have been able to but with the crazy amount of people there and the thin row to pull out your car it would have been really hard...plus there was already almost a mile walk to the music and we were running out of energy, so any further and we may have just keeled over from heat exhaustion haha

Guest crazy digits

With big festivals come big problems

The inconvenient and unfortunate truth

The quality of music and the size of the crowds drove me to DSO and is what drives me today.......

• Forum MVP

keep c hcl----and the more i think about it...   i might find a pole entertaining!!! ---i bet u i could get a hippy pole dance down:}  it might take sometime---and i would make others laugh until i got it right, but once i got comfortable.  u guys would see pole dancing with whole new hippy lenses;}

i agree-----this music is for kind souls---or a medium for lost souls to find kindness----it did this very thing for me many moons ago!!!!

• Forum MVP

Jubilee----Jubilee====such great anticipation, and excitement.  You would think these past two shows would of fed my hunger, but it left me starving!!!!

Checking out some pictures of last year Jubilee---just tried to find link--I will post later.

I see the hill, and the rocks.  Thats not bad.    I actually like the big rocks, looks like a road for set up and vending!!

I could not dance on the hill, I wonder if its flat over on top of bluebird hill?  I can not spin on incline very fast:}  

I can handle the rocks---the set up looks so much fun.  Plenty of space!!  

DSO start at Sunset?    What time do other bands start playing?    I know this sounds funny, but I did not realize other bands would be jamming GD as well.   I think this is going to be the some of the most fun I am ever going to have!!!

Oh----I thought I mentioned above how I would not take my lil ones to a festival.   Forgive me----I imagined these festivals being like a over populated RFK or Giants Stadium show.  I never been to one of these, and what I thought is so far from what goes on.

All the families, and kids there seemed absoultely wonderful.   Wow----from the pics I saw it actually looked like a carefree family event with everyone smiling!!  This gives me such good hope!!    I would love to spin with my little Aspen one day.   she loves watching me dance at home, or she laughs at me---still. 

It tickles me silly to imagine my lil girl spinng wih daddy to this wonderful music.   Jubilee for decades!!!  

So when do the other 5 Bands get announced?

Archived