Dark Star Jubilee 2013?

jljbirdq

Memorial Weekend is a TOUGH weekend to make work, but if we play our cards right, we will at least make the 2nd and 3rd days. And I'm also for an Acoustic set!! We were at Summer Camp 2009, just found a clip! http://iclips.net/wa...tar-orchestra-5

We also were in the Big Red Barn for the After Hour's Set. Anyone else there? Rager!!!

• Replies 485
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Forum MVP

Memorial Weekend is a TOUGH weekend to make work, but if we play our cards right, we will at least make the 2nd and 3rd days. And I'm also for an Acoustic set!! We were at Summer Camp 2009, just found a clip! http://iclips.net/wa...tar-orchestra-5

We also were in the Big Red Barn for the After Hour's Set. Anyone else there? Rager!!!

Yup I was at the afternoon set as well as the raging big red barn burner...

OK, it is time (maybe past time) to start suggesting, requesting, speculating, demanding, begging, hoping, and praying for bands to perform at this years Dark Star Jubilee.

I'd like to start by going out on a limb and speculating that Dark Star Orchestra will be appearing!

Now, comes the fun part:

I'd like to suggest:

Reverend Peyton's Big Damn Band

NRBQ

Dave Alvin & The Guilty Men

Yonder Mountain String Band

Wayward Roots

Jason Ricci

Joann Shaw Taylor

Little Feat

Jefferson Starship

Railroad Earth

Royal Southern Brotherhood

Trigger Hippy

Great Ceasar's Ghost with Butch Trucks

Hot Tuna

and for DSO, an acoustic set AND a Jerry set!

• Forum MVP

No offense to Mighty High and the folks who run, who I 'm sure have fine intentions, but that place kind of sucks. Legend Valley is way better IMO, though they both of have similar dancing issues....PLEASE get those rocks out of the concert area, it's ridiculous.

• Forum MVP

Last year was my first DSO show----and what they brought back to me can not be thanked with words!!

Needless to say, three days of DSO in row:}

Hoping some of you that was at the Jubliee last year could give me/us an idea of how much dancing space?

Is it packed, or is there room to twirl?

• Forum MVP

I wasn't there last year , but I heard from very reliable sources that there was PLENTY of dance space ...

That is so good to hear!!! From what I can see.....they played late night 4 hour sets last year.

My bones are jumping to dance outside!!!!!

Sorry for the newb to be asking tons of questions, but does anyone know when more information will be released----ticket sales?

How large was the crowd last year?

thank you very much

Sun, I was there last year and there was plenty of dancing space. I found people pretty respectful of each other when providing neighbors with room to let loose. Come to the Jubilee! We'd love to have you join us for the fun. Good vibes and a very fine crowd. More information should be any day now; most festivals that occur even later then Jubilee have already put tickets on sale. As to size of the crowd I couldn't really give you a good number. I'm not the best guesstimator, but I'd say 3,000 about. Anyone else have a more precise number? I'm curious myself.

• Forum MVP

Thanks Cosmic and GF27!!!

I am coming for sure. 3 days/nights of pure freedom loving fun. Kids and wife are staying home, and I am going solo. But I am bringing both Scobby and Shaggy in the Mystery Van, so I will not be alone!!!!!

Not to say I am not excited about VA/NC shows coming in Feb, but to be honest, 3 nights straight. No worries about driving, getting into trouble. I am not sure how you guys afford touring these days. Going solo is pricey, specially when you got more than yourself to worry about in life!!!

I am so excited---camp grounds again------all night partying, talking GD/DSO with others. The wondeful smells, and the diversity of people!!!

We are only talking 4 months---with shows in between----Still, I feel like a kid waiting for Christmas, but a flipping THREE day Christmas---hahaha!!!!!!!

• Forum MVP

Sun, I was there last year and there was plenty of dancing space. I found people pretty respectful of each other when providing neighbors with room to let loose. Come to the Jubilee! We'd love to have you join us for the fun. Good vibes and a very fine crowd. More information should be any day now; most festivals that occur even later then Jubilee have already put tickets on sale. As to size of the crowd I couldn't really give you a good number. I'm not the best guesstimator, but I'd say 3,000 about. Anyone else have a more precise number? I'm curious myself.

Oh, yea, noticed you were in Philly from another post CM. Just to say, I hope for just one night like that at Jubilee, and I will be happy. That was some of the best music I have ever heard....ever!!!!!!!!!!!! The night was grand!!!!

DSO is something special!!!!!!

Sun-I'm just as excited as you waiting for my special Christmas in may!! Met a few great people and the vibe was unbeatable....and the music was to die for...late night funk all day jams and of course the beautiful dso .....and if you get tired no worries...you can see and hear the music crystal clear from your abode....can't wait to hit the road!! :-)

• Forum MVP

I would like to see some big massive fan in front of the stage area. OMG it was a freaking hurricane and by the stage it was dead calm and hot. You walked 200 feet from the stage and it felt great. It was like Death Valley by the stage lol :). We walked back to the hill during sets and it felt great!

I hope to go, again, but Memorial Day will be an inferno.

I was so glad for the rain last time.

The last two times I was there, Hookahville over Memorial Day it was so devilishly hot I drank about 2 gallons of ice water in about 90 minues and finally had to seek shelter in the trees! It was the same way when I saw the Dead there in 88, 91, 94. That place is HOT.

Would love to see:

DSO Acoustic Set

Donna The Buffallo

Hot Tuna

Robert Hunter

David Bromberg Band

David Grisman

Peter Rowan Bluegrass Band.

• Forum MVP

I don't know about you guys, but I'm pulling for an acoustic set this year at the Jubilee. I've never witnessed a DSO acoustic set, so for those of you who have, how do you feel about them?

The show iin Bloomington next Wednesday (2-6) is going to be acoustic

• Forum MVP

Sun-I'm just as excited as you waiting for my special Christmas in may!! Met a few great people and the vibe was unbeatable....and the music was to die for...late night funk all day jams and of course the beautiful dso .....and if you get tired no worries...you can see and hear the music crystal clear from your abode....can't wait to hit the road!! :-)

Are you kidding? You can both hear and see from the homesite:}!!!!!!!!!!! Shows coming to the mid-atlantic soon:}------but I awake everyday for more information about this event.

I hate to say this, even if the lineup is like it was last year-----I am there for DSO. I can not get these guys off my mind. It is literally like a reawakening!! Like I found the Dead again for the first time!!

How was it set up last year? Did people arrive a day early--stay another day after? How much were tickets/did that include camping?

Any services there? Is it set up to vend? Is vending frowned upon, or is it stir crazy? How is security/police? I do not want any open container tickets, or....

Just curious, as those days are done for me...but can you still hear the sounds of Helium tanks going off in the crowd?

Thanks again for any words to help this wondering mind:}

Are you kidding? You can both hear and see from the homesite:}!!!!!!!!!!! Shows coming to the mid-atlantic soon:}------but I awake everyday for more information about this event.

I hate to say this, even if the lineup is like it was last year-----I am there for DSO. I can not get these guys off my mind. It is literally like a reawakening!! Like I found the Dead again for the first time!!

How was it set up last year? Did people arrive a day early--stay another day after? How much were tickets/did that include camping?

Any services there? Is it set up to vend? Is vending frowned upon, or is it stir crazy? How is security/police? I do not want any open container tickets, or....

Just curious, as those days are done for me...but can you still hear the sounds of Helium tanks going off in the crowd?

Thanks again for any words to help this wondering mind:}

I think tickets were a little over a 100 and that included camping. Yes it is very awesome, you can hear and see the stage from where you camp! You never have to walk far. Decent amount of vending. Little security/police, I mean they were present of course, but not overbearing or invasive by any means. You can bring your booze just no glass. For nitrous tanks, I didn't see/hear any. Maybe some people brought a personal tank, but the nitrous mafia wasn't there causing their usual mayhem.

• Forum MVP

The picture of this event is forming in my mind even better!!

Thank you for the info. A $bill for 3days of camping and tunes-----wow----that seems cheap!!!

Plenty of funds left over for other fun!!! Just say N20:}!!!! Too funny----glad to hear about security---and glass usually is a no no in most places--but glad I get to bring a cooler of fun!!!

Each day closer to getting my hand in the cookie jar:}

Looking forward to some updates!!!

Thanks again, and you all have a glorious week!!

You can bring your booze right down to the show, or you can sit at your campsite and party and still hear the music. Although I cant imagine being back at my campsite during a DSO set. This is not like a festival, its more like DSO has decided to throw a 3 day partyin the back yard and your invited. Security was very cool. As long as your not a douchebag you got nothing to worry about and this is not the type of festy that draws alot of douchebags.

Archived