Dark Star Jubilee 2013?

jljbirdq

My wife and I are very excited about the Jubilee this year. We are leaving the kids at home and are going to enjoy taking a nap whenever we want, listening to some great music when we want, drinking to excess if we want, buying stuff that we want, and wanting for nothing!

• Replies 485
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Forum MVP

When you least expect it.

What do you think that is?  A planned suprise to build anticipation, or empty spots trying to fill?   

Nearly everyone will be new, and news to me------so my curiosity runs free-----just loving the idea of a jam fest.  Can i dance for 72 hours!!!!

I am going to try!!! 

I am about 98.569% certain Boombox will be there as Zion is Donna Jean Godchaux's son and everyone loves a family gathering.  Hey, Tom Barraco of the Folkadelics is Rob's (DSO) son.  Both the Folkadelics and Boombox were at last years Jubilee and the previous year's Gratefulfest.    

Donna the Buffalo is also a good guess as they were there last year and are releasing a new CD soon (I think).

I am then hoping for a return of RRE.  They played Gratefulfest 2 years ago too.  

Keller is also a good guess as well as he seems to be everywhere.  Both last years Jubilee and 2011's Gratefulfest.  Same for David Gans.

However, I was hoping for at least one Jubilee virgin with Dead ties.....maybe Bruce Hornsby?  Maybe Bob & Ratdog as they will be out this summer.  Maybe David Nelson Band or New Riders of the Purple Sage.  I really am thinking another new Dead connection will be among the 5 additions.

How about John Hiatt?  Maybe EOTO?  Maybe Dave Alvin?  Maybe the Macpodz from Michigan?   Maybe Sara Watkins?  How about Tower of Power?  Maybe Lotus as they have some new music out and are really touring.  

With the announced bands, I don't think we will get anymore reggae or bluegrass however.  Just some thoughts.

I can dig where you are going with the fest already hitting the max of bluegrass/reggae.  The reggae that is out there will not be a focal point for myself.  I can seriously dig another Dead connection.  That was my thought with Steve Kimock.  When Weir opened his new studio last year or so he had Kimock in playing with them as they broadcast it online.  Hornsby would also be real cool.  I'm considering who will put on the late night sets this year.  New Riders would also be a nice treat.  They have been just outside of my ability to check out shows for the last few years. 

For those who went last year were there real sufficient late night sets or did the rain just knock all the steam out of the event once it arrived?  I'm not a typical late night reveler, but without kids to get me up in the morning I can sleep till I am rested. 

Dead=DSO, Mickey, Donna, My Sisters & Brothers (a/k/a Very Garcia Band)

Bluegrass/Folk=YMSB, Greensky Bluegrass, Rumpke

Folk/Americana=Elephant Revival

Reggae=Wailers, Ark Band, John Browns Body

Funk/Jazz=Pimps, Denson, Marco

Classic Rock=New Orleans Suspects (with 2 Little Feat members), BigEAr (a/k/a John Mullins Band?)

Hybrids=Folkadelics

Solo Guy=Matt Reynolds

Late Night Trippy=The Werks

I'm seeing a shortage of:

Dance/DJ (Boombox, EOTO?)

Folk/Americana (John Hiatt, Sara Watkins, Dave Alvin?)

Solo Guy (Keller, Gans, That 1 Guy?)

Funk (Tower of Power, Macpodz?)

World (Rusted Root, Ragbirds?)

AND OF COURSE MORE DEAD (Horsby, Weir, 7 Walkers, New Riders (a/k/a David Nelson Band)?)

I am about 98.569% certain Boombox will be there as Zion is Donna Jean Godchaux's son and everyone loves a family gathering.  Hey, Tom Barraco of the Folkadelics is Rob's (DSO) son.  Both the Folkadelics and Boombox were at last years Jubilee and the previous year's Gratefulfest.    

Donna the Buffalo is also a good guess as they were there last year and are releasing a new CD soon (I think).

I am then hoping for a return of RRE.  They played Gratefulfest 2 years ago too.  

Keller is also a good guess as well as he seems to be everywhere.  Both last years Jubilee and 2011's Gratefulfest.  Same for David Gans.

However, I was hoping for at least one Jubilee virgin with Dead ties.....maybe Bruce Hornsby?  Maybe Bob & Ratdog as they will be out this summer.  Maybe David Nelson Band or New Riders of the Purple Sage.  I really am thinking another new Dead connection will be among the 5 additions.

How about John Hiatt?  Maybe EOTO?  Maybe Dave Alvin?  Maybe the Macpodz from Michigan?   Maybe Sara Watkins?  How about Tower of Power?  Maybe Lotus as they have some new music out and are really touring.  

With the announced bands, I don't think we will get anymore reggae or bluegrass however.  Just some thoughts.

Now with the poster being out for the event and getting a chance to see where people's names are blurred do you think we will see a dead connection?  I would think if it were Ratdog they would have a space on the top of the bill, but I am really pushing for Donna the Buffalo.

Despite the poster I think that we need to breakdown slots.  

Mickey Hart Band and YMSB (PREHEADLINERS) seem like the logicals to be on just before DSO (HEADLINER).   Denson and the Werks (POST HEADLINERS)seem like late nights to me, after DSO.  Wailers and New Orleans Suspects seem like the acts before the acts before DSO (PRE-PREHEADLINERS).  I think we are missing one of each. 

• Forum MVP

Just bought my tickets.....totally geeked :)  Spousal support is sorely lacking but I have a good chunk of time to get that sentiment turned in a brighter direction.  Here's to a TN or JGB set   :blink:

Probably a long shot but how about Allie Kral with the Giraffe Dodgers from Portland, OR?  I LOVE their new 1st CD.  Allie, of course from Cornmeal, has been tearing it up with both the Giraffe Dodgers and now Hot Buttered Rum.  She can play with all 3 at DSJ!

So, how about those 5 more bands?????????????????

• Forum MVP

Last year Mickey was scheduled 1:00-2:30 after the side stage band after DSO. He will prob be a late night. I bet the wailers will be b4 DSO Sunday. Dumpstafunk was after DSO Friday so maybe the suspects will be after dso. Just guesses.

• Forum MVP

Last year Mickey was scheduled 1:00-2:30 after the side stage band after DSO. He will prob be a late night. I bet the wailers will be b4 DSO Sunday. Dumpstafunk was after DSO Friday so maybe the suspects will be after dso. Just guesses.

1-2am-----Did I read that right?  After DSO.....into the late night?

Hey, another wish list addition that would add to the Dead connections:

"Trigger Hippy is an American Rock and Roll supergroup composed of Black Crowes drummer Steve Gorman, session guitarrist Tom Bukovac, singer Joan Osborne, singer/songwriter Jackie Greene and bassist Nick Govrik.[1] Formerly of the group are Widespread Panic guitarist Jimmy Herring and former Black Crowes guitarist Audley Freed."

I mean, it's JOAN OSBORNE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So let's see which Dead connections have the greatest pull to be added:

7 Walkers with Bill 

Bruce Hornsby & The Noisemakers

Tom Constanten

Hot Tuna (with Jorma & Jack Casady)

Jorma Kaukonen

New Rider of the Purple Sage

David Nelson Band

David Gans

Bob Weir & Ratdog (maybe........)

Rhythm Devils

Furthur (yeah, sure....not gonna happen)

Phil Lesh & Friends (doubt it)

CPR (David Crosby, Jeff Pevar, James Raymond)

Jefferson Starship (Paul Kantner & David Freiberg)

Melvin Seals & JGB Band

Keller Williams (of Rhythm Devils)

The Mother Hips (with Tim Bluhm of Rhythm Devils)

Warren Haynes Band

Government Mule (Warren Haynes & Andy Hess (former Gov't Mule) of Rhythm Devils)

Steve Kimock Band (of so many)

Tea Leaf Green (with Reed Mathis)
Jen Durkin Band (of Mickey Hart Band)

Back Door Slam (with David Knowles of Rhythm Devils)

Moonalice (with Pete Sears, John Molo, Barry Sless & sometimes Jack Casady)

How about Grateful Grass?  If we get Keller (could happen) and Jeff Austin (already a lock) at the same time why not go for a sit in along with Keith Mosely (SCI - Nothing noted on them/him touring in May)?  Throwing it out there as a cool mini super group that I doubt very many have ever had the chance to see. 

The Grass Is Dead. http://archive.org/details/tgid2012-02-11.aud  . Here is my recording of Dumpstaphunk ~   http://archive.org/details/dumpstphunk2011-03-16.aud.flacWhile I am at it I would like to suggest a couple more not that it will probably not make any difference. These bands I have enjoyed their shows and managed to get some ok recordings of...

Cornmeal: http://archive.org/details/cornmeal2011-01-20.aud.flac

Bubba Funk & Shrimp Band From Vail~ http://archive.org/details/Bubba_Funk_And_The_Shrimp2011-12-29.aud

Stinky Pockets from Delray Beach ~ http://archive.org/details/sp2013-02-09.s2013-02-09.aud.flac.16 This recording happens to have Lyndsay Pruitt and John Stickley from Asheville special guests of Billy Gilmore and SP

The Frogs Gone Fishin' from Denver ~ http://archive.org/details/fgf2011-03-08.aud.flac16

• Forum MVP

Hey, another wish list addition that would add to the Dead connections:

"Trigger Hippy is an American Rock and Roll supergroup composed of Black Crowes drummer Steve Gorman, session guitarrist Tom Bukovac, singer Joan Osborne, singer/songwriter Jackie Greene and bassist Nick Govrik.[1] Formerly of the group are Widespread Panic guitarist Jimmy Herring and former Black Crowes guitarist Audley Freed."

I mean, it's JOAN OSBORNE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

They played before DSO last year at the Peachfest. Very, very good!! And I agree it's JOAN OSBORNE!! I'm kinda glad that DSO isn't going back to the Peachfest this year. Didn't like that festie at all, and besides they only gave DSO a one set slot, which they killed of course.

The suspense is killing me.  Will it be all 5 at once or 1 at a time?  Do we get another act with a true Dead connection?  Will I have Cherry Garcia in a cone or a cup?  These and more questions will be answered at a point on the horizon!

Another wish band...Rusted Root.

Archived