BASSIST KEVIN ROSEN LEAVING DARK STAR ORCHESTRA NO FULL-TIME REPLACEMENT IN PLACE

• Forum MVP

Love Kevin, will miss him, but every time that we've lost a member of the orchestra in the past it has led to growth and ultimately a better band. Here's to a bright future.

I'm sure the band has already figured out their nominees but I just want to say that Steven Spatz from splintered sunlight is a great bass player and sings....highlight of that band for me.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Forum MVP

I'm sure the band has already figured out their nominees but I just want to say that Steven Spatz from splintered sunlight is a great bass player and sings....highlight of that band for me.

I'm going to miss Kevin, looking forward to talking to him in Wilmington. Life goes on.

There are far more better players than Spatz out there. Fuck it, since the speculation has begun I'll throw a name out there. Ronnie Penque. He played in a Dead cover band around Jersey called Ripple for 20 years. He is currently the bassist for NRPS. They play so infrequently anymore, it prolly wouldn't take much for him to leave. DSO is a much better gig than NRPS. IMO he's the best guy out there, although Allard can play and his voice is good. I would think that Skip wouldn't want to tour all over the country, at this point in his life. He blew us away at the Dave Tarlowe benefit last year, and he certainly has the chops. I'm sure whatever decision they make will be a sound one, and the train will keep rollin'. I just hope Ronnie gets a shot, he's got the goods, the voice, and the personality. Spatz can't sniff his jockstrap.

• Forum MVP

what?? Have you even seen him play??? His has only played with them in the last 2 years...I think he is good. Maybe it's just in contrast to the rest of the band but there were many times where he impressed me.

• Forum MVP

what?? Have you even seen him play??? His has only played with them in the last 2 years...I think he is good. Maybe it's just in contrast to the rest of the band but there were many times where he impressed me.

Of course I've seen him buddy. Numerous times, mostly at the Stone Pony where they play once a month. I didn't say he wasn't good, he's certainly a lot better than Anders, who was their bassist before him. I just don't think he's on the par of say Skip, Allard, or Penque. Don't get me started on the SS keyboard player, that dude annoys me.

• Forum MVP

Thanks Kevin for giving some good thump for my short run.   Very happy to get to enjoy your sound the last half of May.  Got plenty of venues to enjoy your musical love.

Best wishes, and I hope this move is a good thing!!!!

You guys are sounding so tight......how does someone just come in and find that tight groove again?  

• Forum MVP

Of course I've seen him buddy. Numerous times, mostly at the Stone Pony where they play once a month. I didn't say he wasn't good, he's certainly a lot better than Anders, who was their bassist before him. I just don't think he's on the par of say Skip, Allard, or Penque. Don't get me started on the SS keyboard player, that dude annoys me.

The keyboard player is the worst!! I had to stop going to see them on account of it....

John k. leaves Dso for Furthur, Phil Lesh leaves Furthur for Dso. BOOM.

I wasn't gonna say it, but with Bob taking an extended break, seems like an appropriate time for Phil to come play with DSO hee hee.

We sure are going to miss you Kevin.. The towel over the belt buckle is something I'll remember about you. Your bass bombs were always a big treat.  I recall seeing Kevin outside the 9:30 Club in D.C. right before John left. I asked him if the band was concerned about finding a replacement. He said "heck no man,Matson will do just fine". At the time I didn't know who Jeff was. A few weeks later @ The Rams Head NYE show, I found out what he meant. BTW, that show

was possibly the most fun I have ever had at a concert. Best of Luck Kevin,love to you and your MOM !!!

Peace Bob

• Forum MVP

We sure are going to miss you Kevin.. The towel over the belt buckle is something I'll remember about you. Your bass bombs were always a big treat.  I recall seeing Kevin outside the 9:30 Club in D.C. right before John left. I asked him if the band was concerned about finding a replacement. He said "heck no man,Matson will do just fine". At the time I didn't know who Jeff was. A few weeks later @ The Rams Head NYE show, I found out what he meant. BTW, that show

was possibly the most fun I have ever had at a concert. Best of Luck Kevin,love to you and your MOM !!!

Peace Bob

Yea that New Years show still goes down as one my favs, was blown away and sold right away

• Forum MVP

Peace Bob

Yea that New Years show still goes down as one my favs, was blown away and sold right away

I remember quite well...

I was kinda having similar thoughts. I have dug kevin's work since the get go, and much like when jk left, I was concerned about what that meant for the direction of dso. I think I saw jeff's third show with dso, and to be honest, the energy that he brought blew me away. i love john's sound and vibe, but mattson really goes to a different place. i know whoever steps in will deliver the goods

• Forum MVP

Although I thought unable to see DSO this tour including the Jubilee :( , I will see Kevin in Buffalo on May 18th. Luckily DSO happens to be playing as well. Make no mistake I am going to shake Kevin's hand, say thanks so much, good luck, and I will miss him. The DSO show is more a fantastic bonus

Thanks Kevin for bringing back that Dead bass sound I thought would reside only in history. I'll never forget the feeling of hearing those bass bombs again for the first time at an epic 1972 recreation in Lowell, MA several years ago. Thank you.

Kevin, best wishes to you and yours.  You have brought much joy to the sound that words cannot describe it.  My first show was show 577. Smith Opera House in Geneva NY.  I just happened to be visiting a friend of mine who was going to Hobart.  He heard about DSO so we went.  My ears perked up within seconds.  Called my wife and said, "Um honey,cant come home right away.  This band is the real deal."  Went to the next 7.  Had my wife meet me in the City for the hammerstein show.  Kevin was like a jackhammer that kept on pounding.  

Thank You, For a Real Good TIme...

Archived