Port Chester Night 1

Tom Banjo

• Forum MVP

11/6/1970

Filler: Easy Wind, Ripple

Total Pigpen heavy dance fest.  The place was open.  We had lots of room to move and groove.  This was one of the top experiences musically and dancing I've had on the east coast in a long time.  Show was explosive to say the least.  Skip, possibly a little tentative at first, sounded fantastic with DSO.  I look forward to catching a few more of these Skip gigs, but eagerly await, Kevin's return.  I hope that was as much fun for everyone, as it was for me.  

• Forum MVP

Set  1 (Acoustic)

Don't Ease Me In
Deep Elem Blues
Dark Hollow
Friend of the Devil
The Rub
Black Peter
El Paso
Brokedown Palace
Uncle John's Band

Set 2 (Electric)

Casey Jones
Me and My Uncle
King Bee
China Cat Sunflower >
I Know You Rider
Truckin'
Candyman
Sugar Magnolia

Drums >
Good Lovin' >
Drums >
The Main Ten >
Drums >
Good Lovin'

Alligator >
Jam >

Not Fade Away >
Goin' Down the Road Feeling Bad >
Mountain Jam >
Not Fade Away >
Caution >
Turn On//Your Lovelight

Original show indicated that Jerry went electric part of the way through El Paso and never switched back.  I wonder if this effect was replicated or not.  Mountain Jam, Jam too?!?  Was this chopped into 3 sets?  Full of questions I am.

It does indeed look like a dance-a-thon and a seriously gawdy setlist! 

Lucky ducks 2nite!

• Forum MVP

3 Sets.  I don't believe the switch during El Paso was replicated, but I am not always wholly present and aware.  Eaton did however, as far as I could tell, nail the lyrics to El Paso.  

• Forum MVP

I'm no historian, but I think The Main Ten was the earliest iteration of Playin in the Band. No idea how many times played by GD or DSO. Bet it was just what the Dr ordered though...

• Forum MVP

Psychedelic raunchiness at it's finest. Rick says this show cracks his Top 20, I'm gonna go a little further and put it inside my Top 10. Although he has 400 + DSO shows while I'm only at 200 + so I guess it's all relative. Anyway both nights were off the hook, but this night was extremely special. I'm doing a bunch of shows on this run, I'd be shocked if any of them top this one. Penns Peak USED to be my favorite East Coast venue.....not anymore! I'll never miss a show at the Cap. It's all its cracked up to be, and then some. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • Forum MVP

Playing the Dead at the Capitol Theatre

I’ve seen DSO many times. I don’t have an exact number off hand right now, but let’s say 400 times give or take a tour. Of those 400 or so shows, some nights remain entrenched in your memory for years to come. I’m sure you’ve seen the 5/19/07 appreciation thread, the show at the Spudd Drive In blew my mind, and my first 69 show at Munhall are a few of those extra special nights that come to mind. Don’t get me wrong; any time you see the Dark Star Orchestra is a special occasion and they deliver at such a high consistent level that its never a bad time. Nonetheless, the first night at the Capitol Theatre was one of those special nights.

Upon entering the venue and taking a glance at the stage, the set up screamed 1970. The acoustic instruments we’re out, but there had been no mention of the first show being acoustic. This was Skip’s first full show with DSO and I am sure DSO hoped to smash it out the park. DSO had 3 sets in store for us, the first being acoustic. They we’re recreating a set list from 11/6/1970 from the very venue in which we stood, the Capitol Theatre. The place, although completely restored from what I heard was a dump in the 90s, still oozed of historical significance. The place seemed to have a special affinity for Jerry Garcia and Jerry Garcia certainly had an affinity for the Capitol Theatre.

Set 1 (acoustic)

Don’t Ease Me In

Deep Elem Blues

Dark Hallow

Friend of the Devil

The Rub

Black Peter

El Paso

Brokedown Palace >

Uncle John’s Band

I am sure several around here could tell you that acoustic Dead is not my favorite. I would have been pretty disappointed if the whole show at the Capitol was acoustic. However, when you’re in store for 3 sets, the acoustic set serves as a great way to get the blood flowing and the body swaying. As if a statement from the band with their new replacement bass player, DSO opens with a fun Don’t Ease me In. Anytime Dark Hallow pops up in a set list is a real treat. The song elicits a deep emotional response on my part. I am pretty sure we’ve all been down and out because of a member of the opposite sex or I guess this day in age, its best to just say a lover. The emotions don’t really stop as FOTD has a special place in my heart and although I love the electric versions, it always seems to have an added dimension when played acoustic. The Rub was a fun DSO rarity and I was very pleased by the appearance of Black Peter. A friend of mine said prior to the show that he was hoping to catch a Black Peter during these shows and sure enough it happened night 1, albeit acoustic. I’m pretty sure Eaton got through El Paso without a hitch and the band started the transition over to electric with excellent versions of Brokedown Palace and UJB. I wouldn’t call the first set mind blowing by any means, but several of my favorites and a few rarities really made the opening acoustic set highly entertaining. I had an inkling, but really no idea how blown my mind would be by the end of the night.

Set 2

Casey Jones

Me and My Uncle

I’m a King Bee

China >

Rider

Truckin

Candyman

Sugar Magnolia

Good L.ovin’>

Drums>

The Main Ten>

Drums>

Good Lovin

Recently, someone I know started a discussion in his Facebook grateful dead group around the question, “Does the Grateful Dead make you horny?” Obviously this topic was not for everyone and the timid did not bother chiming in. Regardless, I feel they had a pretty serious conversation on the matter. At the time, I chimed in that certain songs obviously might make you horny, like Stranger or Lovelight, but others like He was a Friend of Mine you would be certifiable if they turned you on. After this show, I can give no other answer other than yes. This Pigpen lovefest just got the engine going. I have to imagine quite a few single men went home happy campers after this show in 1970.

The set started off with two fun danceable numbers, but the show really started to simmer with the King Bee. Baracco took center stage during King Bee and you could feel the sexual energy throughout the room. The show moves away from the sexual to the psychedelic kaleidoscope of images contained in chinacat into a moving I know you rider. At this point, any doubts about Skip’s ability to mesh with the band are all but erased and many of us crazies that have seen 100s of shows knew this show was already going to be one of those special nights. The band doesn’t lose any energy as the rip through Truckin and let those in attendance know that tonight in Port Chester, the candyman was definitely in town. The place was glowing with energy. Once again, the show would turn towards the sensual and Baracco would lead us through Good Lovin segment that contained a jam I’ve never heard but was completely familiar to me. The Main Ten felt like an early Playing Jam with no lyrics, but this was really about the Good Lovin. As the band closed the set, many in attendance we’re pretty much left in awe of what they had witnessed. The show would be much more crowded tomorrow night, but DSO on a Thursday night in Port Chester provided a ton of dance space. I must also note that the back to operational status Capitol Theatre sounds fantastic. I really hope to see DSO return in the future. I would love to be back..

Set 3

Alligator>

Not Fade Away>

Going Down the Road>

Mountain Jam>

Not Fade Away>

Caution>

Lovelight

If the band at the close of the 2nd set told us they were out of time, no one could have complained. Our minds had already been blown and many loads had already been spent. This show would have already been passed down in DSO lore as one of the best they’ve had to offer on Skip’s first night nonetheless. However, set 3 was even better than set 2. Alligator sets the crowd back into a raucous frenzy. By now, the relax atmosphere of the Capitol was known to all and the kids started having fun openly without worry or reservation. Hell, I think the adults were joining in on the trouble as well. The Not Fade Away segment was fantastic with a moving Going Down the Road and beautiful Mountain Jam, but like I said earlier, this show made you want to fuck. The Caution > Lovelight closer left you thinking about your lady or the girl next to you or hell a lady of the night. I couldn’t wait until the next chance to give her a little touch of the mojo hand. These songs so sensual and psychedelic left my face melted and my mind all over the Capitol Theatre floor. My jaw had dropped and as the honorable lawyer from Vegas would say, I had witnessed something EPIC.

This show was the top of the tour for me, although had I been in a more alert mind space, the 3rd night of the Jubliee is probably up there as well. The raw sexual psychedelic energy contained in DSO’s performance and the original set list performed by the GD. This type of show defines the early Pigpen love fest shows to me. The band was clearly trying to get you off. I think Pig got off on the idea that he may have gotten you laid tonight. They also knew they pissed off city officials with the overtop references to sex. It was a beautiful thing to be apart of and I will certainly be back to the Capitol in the future. I try to stay away from statements like this because I’ve seen so many phenomenal performances by the DSO, but I do believe this show cracks the top 15, maybe even the top 10 of the shows I’ve seen. If you weren’t there, I would be hoping for a release or archive recording. This is a must hear.

Never thought about if the Grateful Dead made me horny, but hell that 3rd night of Jubilee sure put me in the mindset. I'm generally not on the prowl for women at shows, seemingly to Mason's Child's discontent, but when those Pigpen tunes start playing with some Barraco, Pigpen raps thrown in, I'm ready to go from six to midnight.

Nice review MC. Keep them coming brother!

• Forum MVP

I was a little disturbed about the mojo nipping. But then I reminded myself that these are the boys that had the trouser-drop face off at the last Philly Jam on the River, and suddenly it all seems so right.

• Forum MVP

Never thought about if the Grateful Dead made me horny, but hell that 3rd night of Jubilee sure put me in the mindset. I'm generally not on the prowl for women at shows, seemingly to Mason's Child's discontent, but when those Pigpen tunes start playing with some Barraco, Pigpen raps thrown in, I'm ready to go from six to midnight.

Nice review MC. Keep them coming brother!

I just know that the little ladies are really missing out when you don't present them the opportunity.  Young, in command, and on the scene.

I was a little disturbed about the mojo nipping. But then I reminded myself that these are the boys that had the trouser-drop face off at the last Philly Jam on the River, and suddenly it all seems so right.

I have one helluva hard  time suppressing  my latent homosexual sexual urges whenever Rick is around  !!! :wub:

Found used to make me so horny when his hair was long.  I mean I just wanted to grab his pony tail and fuck his face.  I mean, ya you get what I mean.  The pants dropping in Philly was a political statement, no homo stuff going on.  :P

• Forum MVP

"Found used to make me so horny when his hair was long.  I mean I just wanted to grab his pony tail and fuck his face.  I mean, ya you get what I mean.  The pants dropping in Philly was a political statement, no homo stuff going on.  :P"

Yeah, bitch - politics!

• Forum MVP

Mmmmmmm, I wanted to drop my pants at this most recent penns peak show and MC wasn't down. You got no love for me anymore, baby? In case you haven't noticed, I started growing my hair again.

• Forum MVP

You guys didn't seem so inappropriate to me...rather subdued compared to last year. I refer to you guys as 'camp not weird enough'....perhaps y'all needed some apricots.

• Forum MVP

I find all 3 day continuous parties regardless of the group to have quiet moments as well as the weird and insane.  We kept the bed wetting tradition alive and there we're a few cock sightings.  The most notably probably being when I took the lei that Dino so desperately wanted me to wear and wore it around my cock.  These moments last about 2 minutes.  I don't think anyone in the group was hurting for apricots, they seemed to be in pretty limited supply over at camp AARP.  I visited your camp frequently and mostly found old men laying around.  It was dead quiet late night over there.  It kind of resembled a retirement home.  I think the cold kept some of the extreme shenanigans away.  It certainly kept many of the RVers in their RVs and unable to provide any assistance in making our camp weird enough for Star Child's liking.  

Archived