Jam in the Sand 2014 - Who's IN?

Herdygerdy

• Advisory Board

Ok folks, for those of you who have NOT pre-booked last year, or were thinking about going this year, you need to BOOK IT!

Well worth the money, you won't be disappointed! I know with today's shitty economy, times might be tough, but being an all inclusive resort, trust me, worth every penny!

Still some rooms available, so I highly advise y'all to book it!!

See ya in Feb/March!! :)

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 3 months later...
  • Forum MVP

I wouldn't necessarily call it a wooden floor. More like a boardwalk but def flat and does not shift out from under you like sand does. I think we shall get to know each other a lot better on this trip. Until then keep your spirit up. Your energy is contagious at the show.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Please consider whether going to JITS is fair to your LBGT Deadhead community. Everyone in the LGBT community knows that Jamaica is one of the most homophobic countries on the planet, not unlike South Africa during apartheit or Germany in the 30s. Attending this festival provides Jamaica with the opportunity to publicize itself as a safe destination. Please see the Wikipedia entry below:

Lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender (LGBT) persons in Jamaica face legal and social issues not experienced by..   non-LGBT people. Sexual acts between men are punishable with up to ten years imprisonment. Sexual acts between women are legal.  

Jamaica has been described by some human rights groups as the most homophobic place on Earth because of the high level of violent crime directed at LGBT people.[1] The United States Department of State said that in 2012, "[h]omophobia was widespread in the country".[2] The Inter-American Commission on Human Rights in 2012 said that "discrimination based on sexual orientation, gender identity, and gender expression is widespread throughout Jamaica, and ... discrimination against those in the lesbian, gay, bisexual, trans, and intersex ... communities is entrenched in Jamaican State institutions. Those who are not heterosexual or cisgender face political and legal stigmatization, police violence, an inability to access the justice system, as well as intimidation, violence, and pressure in their homes and communities."[3]:page: 95 Human Rights Watch said in 2012 that because of homophobia, "human rights defenders advocating the rights of LGBT people are not safe in Jamaica".[4]

I am pretty confident the people going there are going regardless of Jamaica's stance on LGBT rights.

The country's homicide rate is just as scary as its LGBT rights, sorry but some things are out of our control. We are are not citizens of Jamaica therefore I don't feel we have any say whatsoever to how the govern themselves, regardless of my extent of disagreement with their culture/laws.

I suspect others on the forums have similar sentiments, but I honestly do not know,

I agree that folks who have signed up are going regardless and of course they should have a great time.  You are right that we have no control over another country's laws and beliefs, but we do have control over our personal choices, where to spend our money and how to support our community. I wish DSO would find a venue where everyone is welcome and no one has to be in fear of being themselves.  

Below is  from Frommer's Guide to Jamaica:

If you're desiring a gay trip to get some sun, forget Jamaica unless you want to stay deep in the closet. Puerto Rico, notably Old San Juan, is a friendlier destination, certainly South Beach (part of Miami Beach) or Key West, but definitely not Jamaica where intolerance of gays is most pronounced. Local gay activists have been killed or had their homes set on fire.

And from the Huffington Post earlier this week:

Homophobia in Jamaica goes unchallenged in that a person can simply speculate about a persons' sexual orientation or gender identity and then plot to kill him. The intent to murder LGBTQs is unabashedly announced without fear because the police won't protect them from mob-led murders and violence. As a matter of fact, the police incite the country's homophobic frenzy, by either being present and inactive during these assaults or by following and watching the members of the LGBTQ community.

• Forum MVP

Jam in the Sand is more than fair to the LGBT community.  Come to DSO's event in Jamaica and have no fear about your sexual orientation.  This is complete BS.  Jam in the Sand has nothing to do with a countries policies/ prevailing culture and trust me life on the resort is far from a dangerous world for LGBT people.

What you describe of the situation in Jamaica sounds pretty terrible, and I honestly wouldn't be surprised if it all was entirely true, like I said Jamaica has a lot of problems despite our American tropical Garden of Eden view of the place. Yeah MC, has got it right. As far as I understand you never really leave the resort unless it is some excursion already organized through the resort. I'm quite confident a homosexual JITS attendee would experience no discrimination or even offensive remarks from the resort staff, and if you do go right ahead and complaint to the resort. Breezes is a multi-national resort chain and if you complained about being mistreated because of your sexual orientation, the resort would take it pretty seriously I bet.

What I'm saying is if you were thinking about going to JITS but are not because of the country's views on homosexuality, please reconsider. And more importantly, I implore you not to discourage others from going by misrepresenting the event.

Mason's Child and rudedogggd, I completely understand your point of view. I believe DSO and the Negril staff will ensure that everyone will have a terrific time at the resort. The food, music and accommodations are supposed to be first rate.  There are huge economic incentives to making this work, as any adverse publicity is bad for Negril and Jamaica.  I am no doubt an outlier in the DSO community in feeling uncomfortable with this venue, and wish everyone who is going the best experience. For those who are gay like myself, you will undoubtedly be safe as well, but I am no longer willing to live in the closet or support places where it is a crime punishable by imprisonment, harassment or death.  Fortunately, it is not a crime to be a hippie!  Negril's own website addresses this issue perfectly in their FAQs, asking members of the LGBT community to stay in the closet for their own safety:

"Jamaica is an adamantly homophobic nation. Homosexual intercourse between men is illegal, and anti-gay hysteria is a staple of musical lyrics. Homosexuality is a subject that evokes extreme reactions among Jamaicans, and it is difficult to hold a serious discussion on the topic. 
Most Jamaican gays are still in the closet. Nonetheless, many hoteliers are gay or gay-tolerant, and you should not be put off from visiting the island.
Just don't expect to be able to display your sexuality openly without an adverse reaction. "

Peace and love

• Forum MVP

I was in Jamaica 3 years ago and I saw none of the issues you are describing. There was a female couple at the resort we were at and they had a blast. They care about your money more than anything else. The discrimination is among the locals if anything. And if we are being honest, go to any rural area in the south and there would be worse treatment towards gays than any resort in Jamaica.

Some places you can't go around carrying a bible; some places you can't go around carrying the Quran, others you can't walk around holding hands with someone of the same sex, and some places you can't even go just because of your skin color. It can be a tough world, in ways, but it has gotten a lot better in regards to human rights.

I truly do hope for a world someday, tameling, where you can travel anywhere without fear. Hope you can at least get your fill of DSO shows right here in the U.S.A. :)

Thanks Cosmic Mike! I will make every DSO show I can. The Grateful Dead are a 'religion'  I have embraced, because we welcome all unconditionally, judge no one and ask for nothing in return except the rapturous enjoyment of the Zone.  

• Forum MVP

Hey. Sorry for the strong response.  I just don't think any negative publicity for this event is necessary or even really warranted, but we live in a world full of petty wars and I've got mine and you've got yours.  I won't go to Best Buy theatre anymore because of the Gestapo security and police presence both inside and outside the venue.  No, its not that I can't go through a show with burning or need to bring illegals into the show.  I just don't want to give my money to place that disrespects basic privacy rights like that.  I understand why you personally would choose not to go.  Unfortunately, there are many places in this world unkind and sometimes malicious towards homosexuals.  Hopefully we can build a world one day where everyone finds a place and acceptance.

• Forum MVP

Wow.  Just read through this thread......damn.......We are all here for a good time.   Do as you like, but if its intimate, just keep it out of others site, unless you want to keep a blind open, and I might play late night peeping tom---hahaha

Sucks when your lifestyle is not accepted in a society.   From what I know however, there are a lot of things illegal in Jamaica, but as long as your at the resort, you should be well protected---no?

Pretty sure there are not many on these boards who cares what floats your fancy!!   We all got fancies:}!   some just get more than others:{  dammit!!!!!!

Like anything else, feel out the scene first, and find out what you can get away with.   That's every venue:}!!!!

married here, not the best at times, but still, we all should have the right to love and play with whom and what we want!!!

Archived