Favorite DSO shows......Today

Tea

• Forum MVP

Ok.  Trying to get some dialogue during the extended 'days between' for DSO and fans.  While there are quite a few to choose from,I'm going to pick 1 from the JK days and 1 or 2 from the current iteration:

Show: 1642 • 02/14/2009 Shoreline Ballroom, Hilton Head, SC Original Setlist

Set 1: Viola Lee Blues, Walk in the Sunshine, They Love Each Other, Black Throated Wind, Box of Rain, You Ain't Woman Enough, Bird Song, Big Iron> Jack-a-Roe, Sing Your Blues Away, Mexicali Blues, Uncle John's Band

Set 2: Greatest Story Ever Told, Second That Emotion, I Feel Like Dyanamite*, Waiting for a Miracle, Easy Wind, Me & Bobby McGee, Eyes of the World> Weather Report Suite> Let It Grow> Stella Blue> Not Fade Away> Going Down the Road Feeling Bad> NFA
Encore: And It Stoned Me
Notes: * dedicated to Merl Saunders

One of the funnest nites I've ever had.  Great music, perfect company before and long after!

The last Black Mountain shows stand as some of the best I've seen since Jeff has been at the helm.  What are some of YOUR favorites?

• Forum MVP

Several of us were at that Hilton Head show, and it is neck and neck with what is arguably the greatest DSO show of all time, the just exactly perfect night at Rams Head on 5-19-07. I'm kind of inconvenienced right this moment by a work situation so elaboration will follow shortly.

------------------------------------------------

And here it is, the 5-8-77 of DSO shows (peerless quality and deserved rep):

Show: 1403 • 05/19/2007 Ram's Head Live, Baltimore, MD

Setlist: 05-19-2007 Original Setlist

1: Race Is On, Run For the Roses, Cassidy> Jam> Cassidy, Visions Of Johanna, Box of Rain, Lazy Lightning> Supplication, So Many Roads, Masterpiece, King Solomon's Marbles> Viola Lee
2: Dark Star> Dancin> Scarlet*> Fire*> Drums*> Space> Wheel> Other One> Believe It> Other One> Uncle John> Dark Star> Lovelight
Encore: That's What Love Will Make You Do, We Bid You Goodnight
Filler: None
Notes: Special guest keyboardist Rob Barraco - *with Katie on Djamba

As for shows with Jeff, let me preface my choice by saying that this band has, in my opinion, always played very strong shows in Atlantic City. That is true regardless of venue, weather, plentary alignment, and whether or not I'm there. But I have seen a high proportion of them for ten good long years, and my fav is based upon show (outstanding) and set and setting (unforgettable); it is the total package that frosts the cake:

Show: 1836 • 08/06/2010 Hilton Atlantic City, Atlantic City, NJ Original SetlistSet One: Here Comes Sunshine > Walk In The Sunshine ; New Speedway Boogie ; Hard To Handle ; Big Iron > Cumberland Blues ; Lazy River Road ; Passenger ; The Harder They Come
Set Two: Around And Around > Sitting On Top Of the World > Why Don't We Do It In The Road > In The Midnight Hour ; Crazy fingers > Caution (Do Not Stop On Tracks) > Drums > Space > The Other One (1st verse) > Standing On The Moon > The Other One (2nd verse) > Tangled Up In Blue
Encore: Run Mary* ; One More Saturday Night
Notes: * Original tune by Dark Star Orchestra and Robert Hunter

A couple of personal notes. First, FWIW, I know I'm not even sitting on the JV bench lately. What can I say? The wheel is turning, and I just don't get round much anymore. So those of you with more extensive recent experiences will have newer picks. Second, I'm an originals fan and make no bones about it. And God knows I have seen phenomenal recreations.Hell, every one of them rate. But it keeps coming back to originals.

C'est la vie, as we old folks say.

• Forum MVP

JK era, soundboard available for download (this one is coming your way Rudedoggg). As chuck put, music, fun factor, etc this one had the whole package.

Show: 1360 • 02/10/2007 Neighborhood Theatre, Charlotte, NC

Setlist: 11-17-1973 Pauley Pavilion (UCLA), Los Angeles, CA

1: Me & My Uncle, H C Sunshine, L. L. Rain, Deal, Mexicali, Tennessee Jed, Race Is On, China Cat> I Know You Rider, Big River, B. E. Women, Around

2: Row Jimmy, Jack Straw, Ramble On, Playing> Uncle John> Morning Dew> Uncle John> Playing, Stella Blue, El Paso, Eyes> Sugar Magnolia

Encore: Casey Jones

Filler: Walk in the Sunshine

In the Mattson era, this one tips the charts for me for obvious reasons....

Show: 1956 • 07/01/2011 Nelson Ledges Quarry Park, Garrettsville, OH

Setlist: 4/4/69 - Avalon Ballroom, San Francisco CA - Friday

One: Good Morning Little Schoolgirl ; Doin' That Rag ; Cryptical Envelopment > Drums > The Other One > Cryptical Envelopment > Death Don't Have No Mercy

Two: Turn On Your Love Light ; Dark Star > St. Stephen > The Eleven > Feedback

Filler: Hard To Handle ; *It Hurts Me Too ; China Cat Sunflower > I Know You Rider ; Like A Road

Notes: *Lisa on vocals and harp

Damn, now I'm jones ing for a show.. Thanks a lot tea..

• Forum MVP

Gr8tful > that Charlotte show was the one you sent to me! Awesome rendition of one of the all-timers. So good!

Chuck > I guess I didn't want to state the obvious although there may be some folks who have never heard about the legendary Rams Head show. BTW > I think there is a little of The Eleven entry jam out of space before the Wheel takes hold. Also > If that Lovelight doesn't get your blood pumping, well then, I hate to break it to you: You're Dead!

• Forum MVP

Yep, many of us pondered the Eleven tease, since that was during the extended run-up to the glorious breakout. And probably the greatest Lovelight in recent decades. I'm proud to post that show in my capacity as Capt. Obvious because it just "feels so Goddamn good!"

Cue Streisand for "The Way We Were..."

• Forum MVP

The glorious pre Halloween show on 10-30-10 at the Madison Theater in Covington, Ky.

1. Morning Dew; MAMU; Doin' that Rag; He was a friend of Mine; Hard to Handle; Cosmic Charlie; Cryptical>Drumz>Other One>Cryptical

2. China Cat>Sitting on top of the world>Dark Star>St. Stephen>Eleven>Lovelight

Filler: Hurts me too, Bid you Goodnight

• Forum MVP

Of the shows I have, Id say The July 2012 Springfield show(76 recreation) and the 12-28-12 Philly shows(original I think) are my 2 favs.  Those Asheville shows were amazing though.  Hope Rob uploads those sometime :)

• Forum MVP

Here another I often go back to > Hey look!  Another original!:

Show: 1637 • 02/07/2009 Variety Playhouse, Atlanta, GA

Original SetlistSet 1: Alabama Getaway> Greatest Story, Stop That Train, Next Time You See Me, Me & My Uncle> Big River, Pride of Cucamonga, Must Have Been the Roses, Passenger, Browneyed Women, Weather Report Suite> Let It Grow

Set 2: China Cat Sunflower> Know You Rider, Dancin' in the Street> Alligator> Why Don't We Do It In the Road> The Eleven> Drums> Space> New Potato Caboose> Uncle John's Band> The Wheel> UJB reprise> Lovelight
Encore: Brokedown Palace

Oh look they played The Eleven.  Of course I got on this run at the next show and then got off before they played The Eleven again in Roanoke.  If it weren't for the Jubilee this year, the curse would remain.

Anyway > this show totally shreds! 

http://archive.org/details/dso2009-02-07.mg210.flac16

http://livedownloads.com/live-music/0,7175/Dark-Star-Orchestra-mp3-flac-download-11-17-2011-Wilber-Theater-Boston-MA.html

11/17/11 Boston (Wilbur Theater) Recreation of 6/9/76

~20 min. Eyes jamming into the lyrics..so sweeet!!

I'll say it again though: Watch Your Woofers!

I had to refoam my Boston Acoustic A150's after DLing and listening one time (totally worth it though!!)

Edit: Woofs were prolly ripe for refoaming prior to this event..but still.. :dsorocks:

This show was fantastic...in just about my favorite venue on the planet! 4-15-2009 GAMH

Original SetlistSet 1: Iko Iko, Silver Threads & Golden Needles, Easy Wind, Sugaree, BIODTL, Deep Elem Blues, Pride of Cucamonga, Lazy Lightning> Supplication, Deal
Set 2: Dancin' in the Streets> Two Souls> Foolish Heart> Other One> Drums> Space> New Potato Caboose> The Eleven> The Other One> Dark Star (2nd verse)> Dancin' (reprise)> Touch of Grey
Encore: Alligator> Brokedown Palace

Tea this is an awesome thread to start. 

Gr8ful the 2007 show at the Neighborhood Theatre was Epic. Wish i could have been there.  I know you got me a copy of that show and we've listened to it many times since then. And I think my first show might have been the following Feb and I don't think we've missed DSO at the Neighborhood after that. Wish they still played there.

So my JK era choice (pretty sure my 1st DSO show) 2/23/2008 Neighborhood Theatre

Setlist 12/14/90 Denver CO

Set 1: Shakedown St., Picasso Moon, Peggy-O, Little Red Rooster, Staggerlee, When I Paint My Masterpiece, To Lay Me Down> Let It Grow

Set 2: Victim of the Crime> Foolish Heart> Women Are Smarter> He's Gone> Drums> Space> Dark Star (2nd verse only)> I Need a Miracle> Wharf Rat> Lovelight

Encore - Knocking on Heavens Door

Filler - 2nd that emotion

Favorite Mattson Era Nelson Ledges Gratefulfest 7/2/2010 

(feel lucky to have gone to this event at this majestic venue)

Setlist 6/28/87 Alpine Valley Music Theatre East Troy WI

Set One: Hell In A Bucket > Sugaree ; Me And My Uncle > Mexicali Blues ; Althea ; Little Red Rooster ; Bird Song ; Jack Straw

Set Two: Mississippi Half-Step Uptown Toodeloo > Man Smart (Woman Smarter) ; Ship Of Fools ; Saint Of Circumstance > Drums > Space > I Need A Miracle > Morning Dew > Throwing Stones > Not Fade Away

Encore: The Mighty Quinn (Quinn The Eskimo)

Filler: Strange man ; Ripple

Archived