Vinyl

Dancin' Fool

All the talk regarding cassettes in the other thread spurred me to start this one. My Father in Law is letting go of his record collection, so I went and got a turntable. Actually, I asked around at work, and my boss came back from his parents with an (early 90's) Sony linear tracker (PS-LX520). It required a new drive belt for the linear tracking arm, but otherwise, works like a charm.

The first batch of records we brought home had some classics, even a Beatles boot! They've been stored in my in law's attic (not climate controlled), so they're gonna require some clean up.

I forgot what it felt like to play records. Not too sure how to describe it, but there's something different about playing an LP, versus playing a CD. Perhaps it's just nostalgia clouding my perception, and the novelty will wear off, but I'm having a shit ton of fun coming home and spinning some vinyl! :headbang:
The first album we played was....Dead Set!! ;)

Anyone else spinning vinyl these days?

:dsorocks:

• Forum MVP

Naw.  Folks actually have some old Monterey Pop bootleg vinyl, along with some old Pete Seeger and Woddy Guthrie that they gave to me when they were moving.

Live Dead would be one of my first too.  How bout this beauty:

884224.jpg

Check out the the way the song names were written on this one:

884225.jpg

Sugar Ree, Stager Lee?  Details....details.  Surely there's a few more vinyl lovers out there!  I'm out if somebody starts an 8-track thread :)

• Forum MVP

I was out of vinyl forever, but then I dabbled in a 70s era AR via eBay, with a shitty little realistic phone pre-amp. Soon thereafter I think the cartridge got jostled and it started sounding like shit.

I left it aside for a couple years then just this summer bought a Creek pre-amp and a Rega RP1 (entry level audiophile bare essentials rig) that came with a calibrated tone arm and cartridge all in the same package.  It sounds incredible.  Unfortunately to really get the ultimate performance you need a 180gram LP and these aren't cheap and nor are they garage sale fodder. 

Good analog and digital sound very different, that much is indisputable.  As to which is better, that's in the ear of the listener but I think analog demolishes red book CD, assuming of course the vinyl source material is up to snuff.

John, is that AR the XA model? Have been looking at those on Ebay/ CL as well. Those are beautiful, simple tables, and made in Massachusetts! The great thing about the linear tracking on my Sony is there are no adjustments to make, but it uses a P-mount cartridge, which limits your choices for upgrade. I never knew anything about cartridge alignment, vertical tracking force or anti skating settings when I used my parents table 35 years ago! Not too sure I want to go there now, but the upgrade bug has set in :unsure: .

Right now, it's a toss up as to which sounds better (redbook cd vs LP), as the albums are pretty dirty. Awaiting the arrival of a Spin Clean cleaning system to clean them up. I'm kinda interested in A/B'ing the clean record versus the redbook cd, and particularly the clean record vs the SACD. We shall see...

• Forum MVP

Dancin',

It was indeed the XA.  There is a feeding frenzy for these puppies.  I put it on eBay, disclosing that I thought the stylus was fucked, and it sold instantly for $175!

I think to get a fair comparison to SACD you would need some impeccably cared for 180 gram records.  SACD is the greatest sound virtually nobody has ever heard.

I find that red book CD sounds very flat compared to vinyl, the latter sounding more palpably there, as if you can reach out a touch the music.

One of the fancy new pressings I bought is The Wall (is this not somehow required?).  I made my 15 year old daughter sit on the couch with me and turned off the lights, cueing up Mother.  She said, “daddy, I’m scared.  It sounds too real.”  Little did she know she was dishing out the ultimate compliment. B)

Buying much more vinyl than CD's lately. Will buy CD's direct from artists when there's no other choice and have bought a couple from artists that don't come through here anymore.

About 70% I am again able to get on vinyl. Now have all of the Dawes efforts out. When Aimee Mann played here last year, she had CD's for 12 and coloured vinyl for 20$. Easy choice. Wilco, TTB and Widespread all doable on 180gram vinyl.

Last 3 purchases (2 of them direct for the artist) which I can highly recommend are:

Mark Olson - Salvation Blues

Nick Lowe - The Old Magic

Brian Haas - Frames

Only issue is space. Built one more cabinet and swear that I will not expand anymore. Capacity is about 3,000. JB

• Forum MVP

I got a lot of vinyl. Mostly jazz and classic rock but lots of goodies thrown in there from every genre more or less. Got the all of the deads material that's available on vinyl except a few albums. The dicks picks sound spectacular on vinyl.

The dicks picks sound spectacular on vinyl.

They're pretty expensive, from what I've seen. Would love to get at least one, if not a few of these, on vinyl. Saw DP 3 (new) at Newbury Comics for 97.00! Amazon has it for 70.00 (35.00 used). Hard to pull that trigger (for me anyway). I never realized these have been available on vinyl all these years.

Glad to see there's still some lovers of the vinyl!

Got enough vinyl that I have to break it up into categories: Rock/Pop, Jazz, World, Soul/Motown & Folk/Bluegrass.

Of course there are always artists that defy categorization; Ginger Baker, Larry Coryell, Tony Trishka etc......

Tea, I have that For Dead Heads only; it's quite a mishmash of stuff.

Dancin' Fool - noticed months later that you liked something I posted. Thanks. Not IT savvy. Not on Facebook, never took

a selfie and don't even own a cell phone. Do my etree trading via email. No offense that I haven't replied..........JB

• Forum MVP

I think not having a cell phone and never taking a selfie go hand in hand. But I could be wrong since I have the phone but am incapable of applying the technology like that. As for FB, all of that is past and gone for me too.

My first Dead bootleg was actually vinyl, a recording of the Owsley benefit show from 12-23-70.I got it sometime during my senior year in high school, '72-'73, I think. Of course the preserved part of that show is available, but it was a nice little record. It has since gone where most records from that era went - into some other person's collection some how, somewhere. And talk about mangled labels! It was called Quaddlebeat for Tenderfeet. I really wish I had it now. They don't make them like that anymore.

Everyone has a dream or two. One of mine is this:

Cary_SLI_80_left_angle_.jpg

Archived