Phil & Friends > Lineups announced for Cap & Vegas shows

Tea

• Forum MVP

Just announced:

Phil Lesh and Friends have confirmed their first eight shows at The Capitol Theatre for 2014, as well the lineup for their upcoming shows at the Brooklyn Bowl Last Vegas. Two different incarnations of the group will perform at the Port Chester, NY venue over the course of separate four night runs, while another incarnation will play in Las Vegas.

The first Phil and Friends lineup—Lesh, John Kadlecik, Larry Campbell, Teresa Williams, Jeff Chimenti and Joe Russo—will take the stage at The Capitol Theatre April 2-5. The second lineup—Lesh, John Kadlecik, Jackie Greene, Marco Benevento and Joe Russo—will perform at the The Cap April 9-12. Pre-sale tickets for the shows will be available from Wednesday, February 5 at 10am until Friday, February 7 at 10am. Tickets for the Capitol Theatre shows will go on sale to the general public on Friday, February 7.

In addition to the aforementioned shows, Phil Lesh and Friends have also confirmed a three-night run at the Brooklyn Bowl Las Vegas for April 18-20. The band for that run will feature Lesh, John Scofield, John Medeski, Jackie Greene and Joe Russo. Tickets for those shows will go on sale tomorrow at 1pm ET/10am PST via the Brooklyn Bowl’s website.

As previously reported, Phil Lesh recently signed a deal with Capitol Theatre proprietor (and Jambands.com/Relix publisher) Peter Shapiro that includes up to 30 shows at the venue throughout the year, as well as multiple shows at various other venues operated by Shapiro, such as Brooklyn Bowl Las Vegas and the Lockn' Festival.

Hey Found > gonna hit all the Caps with Jackie, right?

• Forum MVP

I don't want to make this a 'Boo Jackie Greene' thread.  Jackie Greene.............um........I mean..........Jackie Greene..he is.....is...um.......is.....not good. 

Sorry > There are plenty of other bands to choose from that will allow Jackie to learn to play the guitar while simultaneously playing a live concert.  Sorry it has to be P&F....

Meh.

The facts are as follows... Jackie is in tight with both the Lesh and Mother Hips crews in the bay area. These are arguably the two most talented crews operating locally out here. So Jackie is not horrible. He actually is decent.

However, I will not be considering these Phil Vegas shows due to this lineup.

That and some past issues with the LVPD...

• Forum MVP

A forum is a place to voice ones opinion. Jackie greene is a hack. I'm just amazed that anyone can watch/hear jerry sing and play, then watch/hear jackie sing and play and say, "ya know, that was pretty good." And that's why it's even worse that someone of lesh's stature, someone who played with Jerry for 30 years, has accepted this dingleberry in his circle of "friends." He just leaves me shivering cold.

And I know no one here is saying jackie greene is the next jerry or anything but if you pull up the worst jerry video you can find followed by the best jackie greene video, you'd take jerry. I feel soul, passion, energy from Jeff. I don't get that soul from jackie greene. Phil does have some lineups that at the very least can be intriguing and downright enjoyable, but one with Jackie is not one.

I guess all I'm saying is whether you're a starhead or deadhead, let's have some standards.

You could say who am I bash to this guy. And you'd be right. I'm a nobody but I still have an opinion. No one is making me go see this guy. I guess it just bothers me that this guy has become so engrained with the whole phil thing that I feel like he has some people fooled and they accept him. He just feels phony to me and I thought deadheads were moved by genuine heartfelt music.

Well nobody is a nobody and you certainly are not. Have you actually seen Jackie do non Dead related stuff, his own? To me it's absurd on it's face to call Jackie Greene a "hack". And I would certainly take you up on that bet that Jerry Garcia's worst performance ever was better than Greene's best. I saw the Dead in 78 but also in 94.. I'm not even a huge Jackie Greene fan, but I do think he is a good musician and feel compelled to defend him. BTW curious as to what era you saw The Grateful Dead?

• Forum MVP

I have seen his non dead stuff (solo stuff and different casts of characters from different festival sets.) Ain't for me. Like I said his voice is nice enough but there's no balls to it and I just don't think he can play guitar. I'm by far a better judge though when it comes to GD material as listening and watching jerry for endless hours taught me how to play guitar and pretty much learn how music works on so many levels. So I can't say his solo stuff is bad, just ain't for me. So when I hear him play GD, it's worse than nails on a chalkboard.

There's not bet to take up, just said I'd be amazed.

As for my experience seeing the GD, in the words of Bob Dylan, "I was born too late, blame it on a simple twist of fate." I envy you for having the opportunity to have seen him. But thankfully he left behind a treasure trove of music to listen to and I'll gladly to listen to everything. 68-90 is always the heart but it's cool to dip back into the 65-67 more jug based blues music. I'd say my favorite years in no order (and it's eclectic) are 69, 73, 77, 85, and 89. And while post 90 isn't great on the whole, there are some gems and moments particularly in 91, 92, and 94. 95 makes me pretty sad as he's only a shell of his former self, but still, to hear him half pluck out a two note wharf rat solo brings me a certain joy. At that point he really didn't have much left, but whatever was there was felt.

Just nothing remarkable to me about jackie greene. Good on you if you enjoy I'll just never ever understand it.

• Forum MVP

I'm assuming you are talking about Chris Nelson. I don't recognize dudes changing 1st and last names. I mean how big is your ego to change your name from Chris Nelson to Jackie Greene. It's not like your name was Jimbo Cooter or something messed up. Just sort of weird IMO.

• Forum MVP

Just announced:

The second lineup—Lesh, John Kadlecik, Jackie Greene, Marco Benevento and Joe Russo—will perform at the The Cap April 9-12.

No Phil sitting in with DSO at TXR.

Pisser.  Ah well.

And as for Jackie Greene, please allow me to settle the debate.  He sucks.

• Forum MVP

Relax brother.  I have no talent, and I changed my name to the center of our "solar system" world!!!   No ego involved, sometimes we just want to get away, and change some of what is at our core!!!

Besides,  I am a much better Sun than Robert:}!!!!!!!  That guy Robert is a ass, that guy Sun, is full of fun!!!!

We all have our reasons for change!!!!!

Archived