Rob BARRACO FILLS IN FOR GREG ALLMAN

nwnj steve

• Forum MVP

Thanks for posting this Steve.

I read the review of the show on jam base and Greg played the majority of the show and then Rob played keys on the last few songs (including a Franklins Tower!). Made me curious what the game plan was...obviously Rob was there and maybe just standing by because Greg wasn't feeling so hot? Interesting looking setlist, though, and I'm sure Rob ripped it in that situation playing with those guys...

Edit: Now I just read the philzone reports which implied that Greg took the whole night off and Rob covered the whole show. I'm confused but I can see how Greg might need to bail for a night on a 14 night run at the beacon. I'm not a big fan of Greg these days and my interest would be more perked with Rob on stage, frankly.

• Forum MVP

What a life. Chillin at home during tour break and Phil calls u up and says come play a few shows. Hop on a plane and perform with a legend. Wow. Can't fathom that lifestyle. Why did I hate piano lessons when I was 8 lol.

Edit: Wow I'm out of it. I saw phil zone mentioned and thought he was philling in for Greg playing with PAF

• Forum MVP

I worked at a luxury hotel in the late 80s.  Greg Allman stayed there, and was an A#1 prick, making difficult demands on the staff and offering zero gratuity to anybody.

Rob Barraco, on the other hand, is the nicest guy you could ever meet.

Sorry to pollute the thread with that unsavory anecdote, but I couldn't help myself.  Now and then shit stays with you.

• Forum MVP

Fairly recent interview with Greg (Rolling Stone was it?) did NOT make me interested in ever meeting the guy...and I wouldn't say, musically speaking, that his playing is what is holding his band together--mostly his name and his history.

I'm sure some ticket holders are disappointed about his absence but I think having Rob's freshness and good energy on stage will inevitably lead to better shows musically. That, and simply by having the unexpected, sudden, spontaneity edge to the whole situation I think would make for some more interesting and less predictable music. If I lived in the area I would go down and try to find a disappointed Allman fan who wanted to offload their ticket and go in and enjoy the groove.

• Forum MVP

Not to defend Gregs actions or how he treats people but reading a lot and seeing him thru out my life we all know he had a very bad drug problem most of his life and has been sober for a number of years now ..hopefully he treats people differently now .and lets hope he gets better .its amazing he s still rocking out ..and man,Rob must be in his glory..

• Forum MVP

I worked at a luxury hotel in the late 80s. Greg Allman stayed there, and was an A#1 prick, making difficult demands on the staff and offering zero gratuity to anybody.

Rob Barraco, on the other hand, is the nicest guy you could ever meet.

Sorry to pollute the thread with that unsavory anecdote, but I couldn't help myself. Now and then shit stays with you.

Rob B is always great. Met him twice at St Louis shows. Bought him a glass of Merlot 2 years ago and he joined us at our table after the show at the moonrise. That was only my 2nd DSO show but was an awesome experience. My girlfriend thought Rob E was hot and she asked him to feel his hair. OMG would have made a great pic. She was so wasted and was like your hair is so soft lmao. Thread drift > perpetuated.

As much as I like Barraco, and douche bag or not, diminished capacity or not...

There is no current Allman Brothers Band without Greg. Given these are among the last shows the Allman Brothers will  ever do these shows should have eithe been cancelled or rescheduled until Greg gets better.  If I bought a ticket as a long time fan, I would be very unhappy that the option of a refund was/is not available.  I think it's admirable that they soldiered on but misguided given the historical significance of this last Beacon run.

• Forum MVP

There is no current Allman Brothers Band without Greg. Given these are among the last shows the Allman Brothers will  ever do these shows should have eithe been cancelled or rescheduled until Greg gets better.  If I bought a ticket as a long time fan, I would be very unhappy that the option of a refund was/is not available.  I think it's admirable that they soldiered on but misguided given the historical significance of this last Beacon run.

I think, given the fact that Gregg entered the hospital last minute, it was a good idea to soldier on.  People came at great expense from all over the world to see these shows.  Can you imagine coming from Europe for the weekend only to find your friday and saturday show canceled?  Now that they had a few days and Gregg is not well enough to attend, you can reschedule the shows.

It was a great honor to have helped my friends out this past weekend.  And believe me, the music was high caliber!!!!:-)  RB

• Forum MVP

I think, given the fact that Gregg entered the hospital last minute, it was a good idea to soldier on.  People came at great expense from all over the world to see these shows.  Can you imagine coming from Europe for the weekend only to find your friday and saturday show canceled?  Now that they had a few days and Gregg is not well enough to attend, you can reschedule the shows.

It was a great honor to have helped my friends out this past weekend.  And believe me, the music was high caliber!!!!:-)  RB

Also, in case any one is skeptical about Greggs health, a lot of the band had a touch of the flu.  Gregg's immune system is greatly compromised due to his liver transplant.  He pretty much had a touch of pneumonia. 

Archived