Estimated

Drums>space

GDTRFB

Stella blue

Viola lee!!!

Ripple

Original sauce

• Forum MVP

If I never saw another show again this one would be a fine way to end it all. My cup has overflowed...think I need a sponge and some soap to clean the sides. Everything I try to say about this weekend seems to fall way short...blessed we are, thank you!!

• Forum MVP

Objective review impossible. DSO hit a stride on Sunday that i didn't think could was possible after the theatrics of Fr and Sat. Simply spellbinding!

• Forum MVP

That 1st set was so dancy I had no energy to go up to the campsite b/t sets. The only reprise from the intense dance fest was loser. They rocked us out hard. I fought through it and somehow managed to survive the 2nd set. I was jumping up and down so much my calfs are hurting so bad today. Absolutely amazing show. Stella>viola was just brilliant. Skip is awesome on Tom Thumb. "I'm going back to legend valley. I do believe I've had enough". Kevin was great but skip just brings it. He's smiling the whole show and I just fed off his energy. The band seems to be having so much fun now. I think having skip in the band has really revitalized Eaton. He definitely seems to have more fun onstage with skip up there. It's really sad that some dead heads won't give DSO a chance b/c these guys are the best touring band out there hands down. I have a friend who will go see Ratdog but not DSO. Their loss I guess. My buddy at his 2nd-4th DSO shows was absolutely blown away this weekend. Also if u guys don't mind bringing that festival system with u to all venues we'd appreciate it lol. Stellar sound!!! My only issue was the people who barged their way up front just to turn around during Stella and start talking nonstop. OMG. STFU!!! During those tender parts the crowd should go completely silent. See you in St Louis in 5 weeks :).

• Forum MVP

Wow. Great stuff. And the band really seemed to be having alot of fun up there all weekend really. Even got a "sweet Suzie" during loser. Not sure how rare that is but rob E seemed pretty amused. Stella blue is the song from my first show that set DSO apart from anything I'd seen in a long time. And id been chasing viola lee so ending set 2 on last night with those back to back was pretty special.

Mango is correct words cannot describe what happened this weekend. I'll try... We watched and danced to history unfolding itself!

Funny you put it that way, I've been trying to think of a way to explain this all morning. "History unfolding itself" sure sounds good to me. 

• Forum MVP

truly a mindblowing, wondrous, intensely blissful 3rd night. show that kept on giving and giving. monster Help Slip Shakedown. Goin Down Road Feelin Bad> Stella> Viola good god. words fail. (if you couldnt go to jubilee purchase the digital downloads worth every penny and we all know they deserve it) ..such a special group of friends this weekend i feel so blessed and lucky to know you all. finest people i know and have in my life and look forward to our adventures more so than anything else in this world, thank you thank you thank you.,DSO how i love thee. 4ever and ever

• Forum MVP

Jubilee night # 3, ain't no place I'd rather be...

There were some definite doubts concerning the potential for topping nights 1 and 2. There were also some doubts concerning our energy levels. Fortunately, feeling no obligations to see anyone but DSO, I laid around all day and carefully conserved energy. When it comes to night three of a three night run, it's important that you save the best for last. There is something magical that can happen on the third night; a culmination of sorts that will leave the viewer utterly blown away, given that they have the energy to personally reciprocate. Last year's Jubilee found me spent on the third day....the show was everything that anyone could ask for(early style elective, stephen>11 opener!!), but I felt that I didn't get the full potential of enjoyment from it. This year was a different story- not only did I (and many of my friends I think) have the energy, but I had the freakin best time of my life. The joy I experienced is indescribable, unfathomable really, but I'll try anyway...with events as amazing as this one it is worth making the effort to record history. I know that I'm no great writer but I feel it my duty to try to paint some kind of picture...

There was much speculation, starting after the night two's show and continuing on, as to what kind of show the band would pick and what tunes that show would feature. Amongst those with some DSO knowledge it was felt that another Elective made the most sense. Keep Lisa on stage, allow for the most variation of song selection. Nothing wrong with a little Elective>77>Elective sandwich if you ask me. In all honesty, If I picked the shows i would go for a 50/50 elective to recreation mix. I love recreations, they are a definite part of what this band does, but Electives are the wave of the future and I think more exciting. Within the realm of Electives we have "ISOs"(in the style of), which allows the band to stay within an era without being stuck with an exact setlist. Over this past west coast tour there was some serious repeats.

Anyways, China>Rider was definitely a number that multiple people had called for so when the show opened with it there was much jubilation all around. I'm mean really, right out of the gate and smack you in the face, no time to get ready, better hope your heart is strong because we are immediately jumping up 30 bpm. With an opener like this it is evident that the Band is not messing around, no lazy sunday show to send us home yawning and digging back in our memories for the glorious night 2. No, band doesn't care if you are tired, and maybe you shouldn't have done that last (insert substance or lack of sleep here) because festival energy planning is an art, not for the weak meek or bleak. Not saying that I'm any kind of master- I miss plenty of shows I'd like to catch but never DSO and you'll never catch me giving less than a 100% dance effort. When I hear that music playing, no matter how tired I am it energizes me. I bet Sunny can relate :P .  I was surprised and elated to hear them go into the "feeling groovy" jam, such a groovy feel and I just don't get why it ever went away. We cruised right through Rider, played strong and danced with glee. GSET featured some great "yay yay yays" from Lisa, something she a real talent for. Improvisation that is, and she got a chance to showcase some of that the day before with the Everyone Orchestra. Gosh she is amazing, I'm in continually awe of her power and beauty and I don't know what this band would be without her. Amazing still, I'm sure, but missing her maternal presence. I can't tell you how many times, when I was younger especially, I'd catch a smile from her during the show that would pull me out of whatever weird head space I was in. Just a little reminder of, "hey, we're here having fun!". Right, of course. A real rollicking start to show made for a warm welcome to Loser. Loser....what a great song, and this one was SICK. BIODTL always makes for some fun dancing, even if a bit silly. To me there is something so psychedelic about the GD playing old timey cowboy-esque songs. I just love the blending of americana that makes up this music; some may love only certain parts but they are all part of the whole and I wouldn't change it for anything. Keep on Growin was welcomed for me, I like this song and think that DSO really rocks it out. "Cause time is gonna change us Lord, and I know it's true. Our love is gonna keep on glowing and growing and it's all we gotta do". I've generally become a fan of anytime Skip sings. Mr. Charlie was a gun shootin good time, one of only Pig tunes of the weekend. And then back to Skippy for a fine rendition of Tom Thumbs Blues. "i'm going back to Legend Valley, I do believe I've had enough." ...Ugh, not soon enough. I had mentioned that a weather report suite to close to the set would be nice, but the Let it Grow>Deal closer was absolute perfection in it's own right...no complaints, only smiling faces!

Feeling fine by this time and the set break was spent enjoying the company of good friends. One more set, folks, time to dip into the reserves and give it all you've got. Chuckvegas knows what I'm talking about. Set one was beyond joyous for me but set two would be a pinnacle experience of both my weekend and life. The connections experienced with so many people, friends and strangers, were amazing. My body was moving in ways that I have not since replicated, though I do hope to tap back into that groove someday. The ground surface didn't mater nor did any other potential disturbing factors; challenges being seen as opportunities for transcendence. Through transcending our thoughts about the way things should be we collectively created a beautiful web of music and dance. I certainly never wanted this show to end, and I heard that sentiment echoed by more than a few other people. It was just too good....so good that it left me feeling a bit awkward and ridiculous afterwards. Took me a couple days to recover from this one but the reintegration is just part of the game. I have enough good memories from this year's Jubilee to last a lifetime...that being said, let's do it again!!

Help>Slip was tight(yes, akin to Skip's Box), played essentially to perfection. I've always loved this song, ever since the very first time I listened to "Blues For Allah" on xmas day circa 2003. Opening chords blew my mind right away; I still feel an electric jolt every time they start this song- WAKE UP! Skip was dong all kinds of awesome slidey things and whatnot, I wish there was some vocabulary to describe the Lesh-isms that he has so mastered. Ugh, I just can't stop gushing over Skip...SKIP! SKIP! 12 years in and I gotta say that this shit just keeps getting better!!

Slipknot! was like being sucked through some kind of time warp tunnel, psychedelically twisted into a know before being spit back out the other side. Tension and Release...and who out there actually thought they would go into Franklins? Not this guy, however Shakedown wasn't my first guess. In fact, I"m not sure i've ever heard of a Help>Slip>Shake....sounds kind of like a diet program. Shakedown was poweful, with Skip prancing all around whilst thumping away, interlacing with the rhythm section in a perfect, undulating kind of way. A pretty serious get down, one friend would later recall "we were raging it!"...and yes we were. Set 6 of the Jubilee and this might be your last chance to dance this free for a while. For some it will be until next year. I myself will strive to do as much and often as possible but I know that experiences like these are special, not easily recreated. Bliss has to occur spontaneously, you cannot force it or it will lose it's true feeling. You just can't pin it down. After all the dancing, blissed out madness it sure was nice to slow down for 4th street; Jeff and Barraco both did wonders on their solos, truly masterful. Ya know, that Prophet could have > into Eyes and I wouldn't have thought it to be weird....maybe that's just me...

The finishing segment of GDTRFB>Stella>Viola summed it all up perfectly, each song delivered with passion and joy. Viola in particular felt like being part of the best dance party ever, it could have gone on longer though we might have all exploded. Listening back on this one I am once again blown away by Skip. He really laid down a rumbling underbelly, joining the drummers in driving the jam up and up and away. And did they ever land right back on it perfectly? With style, gracefully with a punch.

Ahhhh glory....

What do you even play to cap it all off? nothing can really make it any better....so Ripple was fine.

It's looking like my next action is Black Mountain....oy vey, 2.5 months away....

Love you all!! :wub:

Archived