October 9, 2014: 25th Anniversary of Warlocks Show

Note not played

For my first post, I thought I would ask whether folks here think that on October 9th, 2014 DSO is likely to recreate the Warlocks show that happened on that same date, 25 years earlier?  I was at the original, and I would be happy to hear that setlist again, but I do not have enough DSO experience to hazard a guess on whether that is the sort of thing they might be inclined to do.  Thoughts?

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Forum MVP

Hard to believe 25 yrs have slipped by since they blew the roof out at those Hampton shows. I wasn't there, but heard epic reports within 24 hrs out on the west coast of the dark star resurrection along with the others.

While I thoroughly enjoy today's techno era of immediate setlist updates, etc,,,I kind of miss how word would just travel through the grapevine back then (and telephone reports from your buddy the next day about a show they caught the night before). It was amazing how fast word would spread when the band busted out something unusual, even with limited technology available. Made for great legends...not quite how I would describe the ease of info spreading today. But like I said, I can sure dig being able to stream a show live in my home, for example,,and then discuss the nuances of the playing with other freaks on line the next day.....yeah, it's cool. And you can even press a fast forward button and it takes you right to the next song...jeez, what will they think of next?

• Forum MVP

I'll never say never but I believe they did the 2nd night last fall. I wouldn't complain if it resurfaced for me.

Word spread quickly in the day. I got shut out both nights but we got real time updates at the fence. If you weren't on the scene, and needed updates there was always 1.900.USA.DEAD. I had a calling card that was given to me that never seemed to expire. Got a couple years use out of it till somebody got wise. Thanks Stranger :)

• Forum MVP

In the past, has DSO recreated any show of note on its silver or other anniversary?  If ever there was a modern Dead show that merits a second or third nod, this would be a contender, no?

Barton Hall, 5-8-07. The 30th anniversary recreation in Ithaca seemed noteworthy. It certainly was a lot of fun.

• Forum MVP

From what I can gather, DSO has only recreated this 2-night run once.  that would be 10/5-6/2007 @ Mexicali.   John A is usually right though :)

Most recently, they recreated 10/9/89 at the Best Worst Buy Theatre on 11/29/13.

Back to work :(

People really like those Hampton shows? I remember being kind of disappointed by them. I understand the contextual significance to them--tapping into older material that defined who the Dead are while mixing it with staples from their later years--but the quality of the playing didn't seem all that special when compared to other legendary runs of that year, such as Alpine. I really like '89 too! I'm guessing you guys think I am missing something and should relisten to those shows, huh?

They have done 10/8/89 4 times and 10/9 3 times

10/8 3/20/98 Martyr's, Chicago, IL
        5/12/06 Nokia, NYNY
        10/5/07 Fillmore, SFCA
        12/2/11 9:30 Washington DC

10/9 3/21/98 Martyr's, Chicago, IL
       10/6/07 Fillmore, SFCA
       11/29/13 Best Buy, NYNY

On a DSO historical note:
3/20/98 was Cameron Blietz's first show as fulltime FOH soundman. Kevin Rosen lead vocals on Big River

3/21/98 Kevin Rosen lead vocals on Ramble On Rose

• Forum MVP

People really like those Hampton shows? I remember being kind of disappointed by them. I understand the contextual significance to them--tapping into older material that defined who the Dead are while mixing it with staples from their later years--but the quality of the playing didn't seem all that special when compared to other legendary runs of that year, such as Alpine. I really like '89 too! I'm guessing you guys think I am missing something and should relisten to those shows, huh?

Sure context plays a big part in the legend of the "Warlocks" Hampton shows.  Find a good FOB audience tape and cue up the transition into Dark Star.  If you don't get goose bumps instantly then turn in your Deadhead Card at the door.

• Forum MVP

From what I can gather, DSO has only recreated this 2-night run once.  that would be 10/5-6/2007 @ Mexicali.   John A is usually right though :)

Tea, see Wharf Rat's post above - 10/5 and 10/6 2007 at The Fillmore.  John A is "usually right"?  :P

Not only that, but the Playin-UJB-Playin at that start of the second set is excellent (particularly Garcia's midi work during the Playin jam), the Dark Star is simply sublime (if not up the modern DS exploratory standards set later in the tour in Miami and the following Fall at MSG), and Garcia's solo during Death Don't is among the most well crafted I have had the pleasure of hearing at any concert.  Throw in the Attics encore, and you have a truly singular show for the era.  Agree that the first night, and even the first set of the second night are not particularly special, aside from the whole let's sneak back into the venue from which we have been banned by calling ourselves "Formerly the Warlocks" and booking the show only a week in advance pranksterism of the affair.

• Forum MVP

That Death Don't is really good.  It's no '68-'69 rendition but it's excellent in an 80's kinda-way.

Decent Playin - has some strong moments.  You like Playins from that era?  Try 7/29/88.

It's a good show that gets boosted by the historical significance - I agree with CM though...Alpine was IT for 1989!  Never had such a good time.......The run at Philly that fall was pretty damn strong too!

Hmmm, I went to Alpine 89, and liked them, but not as much as that second night second set at Hampton.  I also was in attendance at the Laguna Seca show on 7/29/88, which may be the best Playin I ever had the pleasure of hearing live, although the BCT in April of 86 is right up there.  That said, Garcia was not yet using a midi (or at least not to achieve the wind instrument sounds) like he was by Fall 89, and on 10/9 I think he used those effects particularly well, although not in a blow your face off, 7/29/88 kind of way.  There certainly was a lot of good stuff played way back when, and I feel fortunate to have caught my fair share.  I have not hear DSO since the lead guitar change up but will be going to TXR, as I am currently hanging out in Marin.  David Gans tells me it is even better now.  I know the first time I saw DSO, I turned to a friend after the show and said, the remaining members of the Dead need to take the Jerry guy and tour.  Three days after I saw them a second time a few years later, Furthur's creation was announced. 

• Forum MVP

Hmmm, I went to Alpine 89, and liked them, but not as much as that second night second set at Hampton. I also was in attendance at the Laguna Seca show on 7/29/88, which may be the best Playin I ever had the pleasure of hearing live, although the BCT in April of 86 is right up there. That said, Garcia was not yet using a midi (or at least not to achieve the wind instrument sounds) like he was by Fall 89, and on 10/9 I think he used those effects particularly well, although not in a blow your face off, 7/29/88 kind of way. There certainly was a lot of good stuff played way back when, and I feel fortunate to have caught my fair share. I have not hear DSO since the lead guitar change up but will be going to TXR, as I am currently hanging out in Marin. David Gans tells me it is even better now. I know the first time I saw DSO, I turned to a friend after the show and said, the remaining members of the Dead need to take the Jerry guy and tour. Three days after I saw them a second time a few years later, Furthur's creation was announced.

You will surely be blown away when you see them in October...

Need I say more?

:)

• Forum MVP

Hmmm, I went to Alpine 89, and liked them, but not as much as that second night second set at Hampton. I also was in attendance at the Laguna Seca show on 7/29/88, which may be the best Playin I ever had the pleasure of hearing live, although the BCT in April of 86 is right up there. That said, Garcia was not yet using a midi (or at least not to achieve the wind instrument sounds) like he was by Fall 89, and on 10/9 I think he used those effects particularly well, although not in a blow your face off, 7/29/88 kind of way. There certainly was a lot of good stuff played way back when, and I feel fortunate to have caught my fair share. I have not hear DSO since the lead guitar change up but will be going to TXR, as I am currently hanging out in Marin. David Gans tells me it is even better now.

You will surely be blown away when you see them in October...

Need I say more?

:)

Well put. No need to take David Gans word for it either - THEY are ALL better. Have fun at TXR

• Forum MVP

The Hampton Shows were phenom!!!!

I have listened to the Alpine of that year, and yes, sounds fabulous, but there is not in the history of GD has there ever been a better Fantasy---- Jude.   If there is, someone turn me on to it!!!

I still get chills just thinking about it.  I got to see these shows in Hampton.  I had no clue what I was witnessing!!!    I have several memories, but thank god for recordings.  

The Warlocks threw Tidewater back into a mist of a ethereal state that still vibrates!!!!

Those were the good ole times.  Give a lot to go back!!!!! 

No one, and DSO is good,  they are even better at times than GD, but I do not believe that the sounds created during that Fantasy-Jude can ever be replicated!!!  I got goose bumps just thinking about it!!!

Thanks for bringing this up!!!  I have not heard in a while, and its time to put the head phones on!!!

I really hope this winter, I get some good DSO lottery picks!!!! 

• Forum MVP

The Hampton Shows were phenom!!!!

I have listened to the Alpine of that year, and yes, sounds fabulous, but there is not in the history of GD has there ever been a better Fantasy---- Jude.   If there is, someone turn me on to it!!!

I don't know about 'better' but 7.2.89 is a real good time as is 10.4.87.  10.4.87 doesn't register on too many radars but I love it.  It fails to reach legend status cuz its too damn short.  Give 'em both a whirl though :)

EDIT:  10/4 does not inClude the Jude :(

Archived