What's up with these Philzoners?

TheorangeoneakaOG

• Forum MVP

Bobbystar, you may or may not be an innocent victim of unfortunate timing. And in comedy, timing is everything.

Rude, all the bashing you mentioned is fair game, except for ducats and the Cowboys. Bashing either is unconscionable. But then again I cheat at solitaire.

• Forum MVP

And some heads are stuck in the past. I'm not saying anything wrong with that but if you attend less than 3 shows a year of the GD variety and constantly lament that it isn't what it used to be, you our stuck in the past. Maybe joyfully so. Most into DSO don't get too caught up in the past.

• Forum MVP

Good evening, BobbyStar.  Welcome to this place. Please forgive the couple bumps in the road...things will smooth out and all will be friends. 

and now just as an aside...where I happen to be at the moment...I came walking into my bed room to find the radio playing my favorite song of late, "Smile On Your Brother"....  I danced with the little Grateful Bear that has become a substitute for my lost Jamie....and then came "When You Come to San Francisco, Wear Some Flowers in Your Hair'...more dancing while the two other dogs barked along....and then Janis sang one of her hits...reminded me of the night after her show when Janis, Betsy, my lady of the 60's, and I shared an interesting time together....but that's a long story for another evening.

Peace and Love,

Doc

• Forum MVP

And some heads are stuck in the past. I'm not saying anything wrong with that but if you attend less than 3 shows a year of the GD variety and constantly lament that it isn't what it used to be, you our stuck in the past. Maybe joyfully so. Most into DSO don't get too caught up in the past.

I'm glad DSO shows aren't how dead shows were in the 90s. Hard to get tix. Monster stadiums. At 22 it was a blast. At 43 I prefer more laid back venues. Chicago was laid back for DSO and a madhouse for the dead. It was exhausting. I like laid back atmospheres with a small group of friends. That's fun for me now. Plus at 200 a pop seeing 20 shows with the gf becomes unmanageable financially.

• Forum MVP

Let's not use "the 90s" too loosely here.  1990 was a sensational year for the Dead, and '91 was overall quite solid.  From '92 on you have a vastly different story.

My version of Mason's comment:

I'm glad DSO sounds better than the Dead usually did post '91.

• Forum MVP

I feel that it was around middle of 93 that things started to slip , but there was still magic here and there till the end ... I would take a bad 90's show over anything happening now ... I'm always missing JERRY !!!!!!!!!

• Forum MVP

I feel that it was around middle of 93 that things started to slip , but there was still magic here and there till the end ... I would take a bad 90's show over anything happening now ... I'm always missing JERRY !!!!!!!!!

Don't forget Spring Tour '92.  More or less appauling from start to end. Summer tour '92 barely passable, I guess, then Fall tour cancelled.  By '93 the Vince songs were in full bloom, Eternity and Easy Answers were there, and you got a potential world of hurt lurking around every corner.  Best you can say about '94 is that it was better than '95.  Best you can say about '95 is Garcia was still on stage.

• Forum MVP

Spring '92 was indeed a gut punch after the complete awesomeness of '91 (fall especially). The Copps shows were prolly the lone exception.

While '93 had its warts with the new song installations, no Bruce, and a thinning of Jerrys tone, I really thought they were on an upswing. As we know, it would prove to be very short-lived. Still - some very good times were witnessed. I knew without admitting it to myself at the time that it was indeed over

• Forum MVP

When the second night at Deercreek was cancelled, trouble was ahead and Jerry wasn't in red. The August workplace announcement wasn't too much of a surprise; however, I cried hard on the way home and it started synching in that our best friend was not there anymore. DSO has given hope and revival. Although, I have to admit I found BCE before Dark Star Orchestra. In 1998 they were giving free tickets to the Dark Star Bogarts show. Hunter also toured in 97 and 98 giving his best to keep us in the scene.

• Forum MVP

Brent's passing was total devastation for me , not sure if I ever recovered and then Jerry ... I thought Vince was a horrible fit , but what could ya do ... Anyway , at this point and since life is moving at warp speed away from the 80's and 90's , I feel like the 15 years I followed the GD have all rolled into one big beautiful show ... So , I don't remember whole tours or a half of tour that was really bad , I just remember moments that were a little rough and our concern for Jerry's health ...

Archived