Putting on the Ritz

PoetryGirl

tonight's show was Hartford Civic Center on 1987-03-27 Alabama Getaway-> Greatest Story Ever Told, West L.A. Fadeaway, Little Red Rooster, Brown Eyed Women, Beat It On Down The Line, Tennessee Jed, The Music Never Stopped Touch Of Gray-> Samson & Delilah, Cumberland Blues, Estimated Prophet-> Eyes Of The World-> Jam-> Drums-> Space-> Uncle John's Band-> Morning Dew, E: Johnny B. Goode

but.....but,,,,,,that does not even come close to capturing the show, after a solid Alabama and greatest story came this very laid back funky west la, the sweat really started rolling then. then the rooster, came crowing to some brown eyed women, Btw, the sweat was starting to blow sideways at this point, then those bass notes hammered into BIODTL, I was starting to get somewhat fatigued at this pointed, was hoping for a slowdown tune,,,,,,then my dream came true, another very laid back kinda funky Tennessee, woo hoo, I was nearing nirvana at this point, so I had my short reprieve to revitalize both massive amounts of water and do a little stretching which was much needed to head into a catalytic music no stop, ok, set break if I remember correctly, then opened to stellar touch of grey into still oh so sweet drum intro into Samson that did attempt to tear the building down, a very nice Cumberland followed again by yet another laid back kinda funk to estimated that dehydrated me all over again,barley time to suck down some water as eyes were sweeping me away into the dancing vortex yet again (why does this keep happening to me at DSO shows?) I needed a short break and to sit my tired legs down thru drums, the space into uncle john;s kicked ass, then, then one of my all time favorite dancing tunes, Morning Dew,,,,what can I say, I was left, exhausted, semi dehydrated and in pure bliss, The a totally rocking Johhny B Goode for encore, then when it could get no better,,,,well it fucking did, they then kicked down 3 fillers, starting w/mr charlie, followed by money honey, then finished the night with a super sweet the weight, I can't wait to see what tomorrow in Charlotte holds in store for us :)

• Forum MVP

I sweated so much that my belt is soaked through and my money was soaked. My cig pack disentegrated from moisture.

The crowd tonight was better than last night. That place fucking threw down. Insane energy there tonight.

Stage left represented. My iPhone mileage registered at 11 miles.

• Forum MVP

Yall Rock Raleigh, and so did DSO. This was a blissful night. Not my favorite year, but DSO played a barn burning dancer!!!

Such a wonderful relief from last night. Awesome room, people were kind, awesome energy and great dancing.

Really appreciate Slowermo's review. I really don't remember a slow moment during the whole night. The Morning Dew, melted.....3 kick ass fillers. A Estimated that blew my legs of the dance floor.

DSO is on fire....the venue rocked, and it was a whole different deal tonight!!!! Thank you DSO.......thank you kind friends....we all did good tonight. The vibe was right, and all I can say is smoking!!!!!

One more to go, and I think Charlotte is going to blow the fuckin lid off!!!

• Forum MVP

This show brought all the big sound and big heart of the day. The stage looked amazing, with all the beautiful tapestry wallpapered across the back. I was filled to the brim. There was a solid loving crowd that filled the left side from front to back and kind space opened mid stage later as the show wrapped up. There were some of the cutest twenty year olds dancing it up and solid deadhead fans there too.

I find it hard to back up the truck and look how far the night took us on the wings of music. What a difference a year has made since I was last at this venue. I love this venue !!

The crowd changed an amazing amount with the changes in energy of the show.

Cherry picked show for me in that it fit all I wanted to hear again and again. BIOTDL is never a disappointment and tied the first set together nicely. It was a surprise to hear Rob B on Little Red Rooster and his rap couched what a great love of friendship you see in this band as they play with each other. Nice slide work/ again !! I think there was a Battle axe duel on stage for a bit. Haha what a talented crowd these musicians are and I am thrilled the stars lined up to spend time partying- and I mean by partying loosening off the demands where I can be lost in the world of dance ( my first love ) for a while -the best way I know and share the sunshine the music creates with those who love this music. The kids have their own gigs this weekend and it couldn't be more perfect.

So... Maybe a touch of grey does suit? Samson tore the place apart and let the confines of life make room for the estimated eyes. I was able to dance an old simple hula thanking the mana, the sun the moon the stars the wind that whispers to our soul the rain and the rainbow where light is grounded. It is spiritual embodiment of the heart and hopefully I can do the Aloha Oe in entirety tonight as I finish my mini tour until next time. There is so much diversity of expression of emotion in the song repertoire. Uncle John oh bless my soul. The place shone brightly with all around in the joy of the moment. And Morning Dew!!! It is hard to say but I think maybe just maybe it might be the penultimate placement and I hesitate seriously perseverating on the joy I know a first set Mornng Dew sets for the rest of the show with resurrection by the end of the show. But for now the sweet sweet love of friends and family and people with their funny ways.... Is a moving case for ending the set. What more to say.... Well Johnny B Goode Right ?

Tennessee Jed brought me to a still point - 25 years later I have a 10 foot ficus tree given on Valentine's 1991 only a foot high and the memories of 10 sweet years with the best dog ever- my Jed. I feel so thankful for the appreciation my walk has shown me. And my dog who walked with me through the fire.

Mr Charlie

• Forum MVP

After the 1st 4 songs I made a comment that was wrong like always that after asheville the band was just going to phone it in tonight. Boy was I off. That 2nd set was about as good as it gets. And to finish with the weight was the cherry on top. Touch was never a fav song for me and I always thought it was a bad dancer. I may have danced as hard to it as anything else.

I told poetry girl that if they played a Dew I was going to stand right in front of that 12x12 monster speaker stack and go deaf with the dew being the last thing my ears ever heard. I figured after that I would just disentegrate into a pile of dust. 3 feet from that stack was literally the loudest thing I've ever heard. So when dew hit I fulfilled that promise. I had to close my eyes as I was afraid they may pop out from the bass. But oh my was that an auditory experience. My ears hurt today and likely did damage but I'm still beaming from that dew. It's like church for me. You see the people at these churches holding their hands up to bring the spirit into them. That's how I felt during that 130 decibel dew. Unfortunately we had way too much dance freedom last night and my calves are screaming still.

• Forum MVP

I think the best thing I can say about this show is that it gave me a very painful case of wet shirt nipple abrasion. For late 80s is was an excellent set list and the sound in the ritz was very good to my ears, letting us hear that powerful FULL sound that DSO delivers on this era. Just enough dance space avail to make it a 3 ringer. Tea was moving a lot of furniture, so he cleared about a 30' radius.

• Forum MVP

Epic, in-your-face rocker!!! 

We are so used to sacrificing sound for space but it was completely unnecessary this night - crystal-clear and loud as hell!  The band was clicking so well it felt like they could have done anything they wanted and still would have had more to give.  The level of command was truly unbelievable.

The 1st set was excellent but there seemed to be fewer dancers in the meat of the crowd than was the case in Asheville.  It didn't really detract from my experience but the resulting energy was a little different than I expected. 

After set break, the Touch of Grey seemed to change the energy completely.  The rowdy dance-a-thon took hold of a much greater number of people and leapt forward strongly from there.  Samson was totally insane and it stayed nutty all the way through to the resounding finish!!!

What a great show to share with some great people!  Glimpses of huge grins, utter surprise, and joyful desperation trying to reach out and grasp every last bit of the energy that the music had to offer until it all collided into an explosion of confetti as the Dew made it's final mark on all of us!   I managed to re-arrange a high-rise worth of furniture and was soaked from the tips of my toes to the top of my head.  Blissful exhaustion.

The people I was lucky enough to share this with are all made of the wonderful things we look for in ourselves and each other.  It's strong stuff that helps my world go around and helps me keep the faith.  I love you all very, very much :)   

• Forum MVP

I'm convinced that sunny Chris tea and I at stage left got the rest of the crowd to really push their dance limit. Nick had to even come down to check out the groove fest. You could see people in front look back at us grooving down and they would pick up the pace. Pretty sure that our energy helped the rest to really get down. We helped free their inhibitions.

Archived