Summer Tour 2016

sandune

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Forum MVP

Chris intentionally sat in those seats to watch a baseball game to get acclimated for DSO. Nice skyline behind the stage. Will try to figure out how to get that show. Summer vacation may conflict with the early part. I hope not.

Hard to put any big stretch together. This schedule doesn't make it very easy to put together 4-5 shows. There are a few large driving chunks b/t shows. The Brooklyn to Charlotte and Asheville to Dewey are big jumps. Poca to BM isn't ideal. Too bad couldn't get a whole weekend in Poca. Gone are the days of a 5 show summer Carolina run unfortunately and it's also unfortunate that it's not Charlotte then Asheville. No need to make any quick decisions. Gotta focus my energy on hoops and get my remote finger in shape.

• Forum MVP

I think the tour looks very manageable. Some long drives, although compared to West Coast tour this past fall drives look pretty doable. Most of the big drives you mention have days off in between. I'm not saying I wouldn't skip Brooklyn and get a head start South. Im definitely blowing off Dewey Beach. I probably spend a little time camping outside of Asheville.

Poca hasn't been very kind to us. The State police there treat us like second class citizens. They consistently and with malice violate the rights of those camping and staying over night in their park. The park staff and the people at the concert are a different story. I can see they want to put on a fun safe place for us to get together and groove. I for one not upset this is only 1 night. I will arrive early. Walk some trails during the day and hit the road towards Black Mountain following the show.

I want to do both baseball stadiums. Charlotte is a definite.

• Forum MVP

Charlotte will be a hoe-down, leading right into an epic weekend in Black Mountain. Looking forward to some grooving with grate folks and grate music. Wish the day off was between Poca and Black Mountain, the longer of the drives.

• Forum MVP

Charlotte will be a hoe-down, leading right into an epic weekend in Black Mountain. Looking forward to some grooving with grate folks and grate music. Wish the day off was between Poca and Black Mountain, the longer of the drives.

I think a few days enjoying the mountains in between Charlotte and BM sounds pretty awesome. It's like an athlete arriving at the super bowl site several days early to get acclimated. Hiking, disc golf, relaxing and partying with good people will finish off the summer or at least summer tour the right way. I may try to sneak in a 3 days at the beach before Charlotte as well. This is usually when my mind is like wonder if I could just leave even earlier to do Baltimore then the beach then charlotte then BM.

• Forum MVP

I hear a lot of clamor of skipping poca. I bet day of when I take off for chesterfield. Most if not all will be in tow.

740 mile RT for a show. U are still likely right as a show is tough to turn down. Who knows. The quiet of the mountains may drive a big city guy like myself crazy.

• Forum MVP

Po duke ah almost Po dunkNot really really big city man.

I was going to add that seeing no cars in the mountains may be too much of a shock to someone like myself who's used to seeing 30-40 cars on his drive to the office. So u are telling me that 70k isn't a big city? What's funny is there was more population in my hometown in the late 1800's than now. Being on the Ohio right before it meets the Mississippi was supposed to make us grow to the size of Louisville. That never materialized....

But after building our state of the art performing arts center in 2004, they had the foresight to book DSO as one of the 1st acts to perform there even though this has to be one of the worst markets for GD music. I have to assume that most stayed seated the whole show. Season tickets helped fund that 1st year so it had aspects similar but likely much worse than the Wolf Trap crowd with many sitting with very strange expressions. That WT show was definitely a clash of cultures b/t the people sitting in the boxes wearing a sports coat and the spinners on the floor. I'm glad I wasn't here when DSO played in 2004, as most of my clients had season tickets and there's no way I could have let go even a fraction of how I do now.

• Forum MVP

So looking at DSO's Facebook site makes me want to scream. Summer tour posted and people are like why no Cali shows. Umm u greedy bastards, shows are upcoming in Cali in a couple weeks and you get fall tour as well. Complaining about Atlanta when they just got a show a month ago. Then you get the people wanting obscure places like Tulsa and Missoula and west Texas. Then you get people who live an hour away from shows complaining that there's no local show. My local show is a 3 hour drive. I'd love a few 1 hour drives for a show. I want to scream "Hop in your freaking car. You did that shit 20-30 years ago. Why can't you do it now". The best ones are Ive got to do so and so when you are playing my local show. Can you change the date? Those people deserve a punch in the face. Btw I'm allowed to now say violent things like that b/c a presidential candidate says those things so it must be ok. I could go on and on about ridiculous posts on Facebook but u get the gist. I'll forgive all the what show are you playing tonight or will you play blah blah b/c it's my favorite song, b/c they don't know any better and are actually going to a show vs bitching why they don't get 20 shows a year in their area. There was 1 person a few tours ago who literally a week after they got a show complained there wasn't a stop there on the next tour. Again. Punch in the face.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • Forum MVP

I'm not a fan of the no alcohol policy but it might have a silver lining.

The possibility of less drunk-ass belligerents may let more people enjoy the musical experience The way it should be :)

Have a blast !

• Forum MVP

Weird. Even my shithole conservative town that's a fraction the size of Peoria serves alcohol for events on the river. Note the churches seriously protest this and claim they can no longer bring their families around this sin, but they usually have some microbrewery serving beer anyway.

Archived