Alligator 
Death dont

lovelofht 

e: Lindy hop

new Orleans 

fuck yeah!!!

edit: setlist updated

• Forum MVP

I have a lot to say sbout this weekend. I know I've said that recently and not posted shit but def gonna do a review. I may share insight into why not really put up reviews but def gonna share my thoughts on New Orleans. I'm a believer. I'll be back for jazz fest next year. 

• Forum MVP

The band was right when they said you can only stay in this town for a couple days or it would kill you.  Last night I had grand ambitions of staying until Monday. Today the gf wakes me after a few hours sleep and I'm googling how to have your car towed home so u can fly to home/alcohol detox facility. Do they have saline IV bars in New Orleans?  I think if I dare look at the credit card it's going to show a trail of makers mark all around this town until 7am. Luckily stumbling is encouraged and I wasn't in some other town or I'd for sure be in some drunk tank.

And John, it was wide open dance floor. Just so much music happening in this town. I was having to groove in the hallway of the UC. Here I was in the mix with all the room I could ask for. It's hard for me to musically compare 2 shows as the environment contributes so much to my enjoyment and last night I was in a fantastic mood taking in all this energized city had to offer.  It was my 1st DSO green grass, lindy and New Orleans which was pretty awesome. 

• Forum MVP

Sounds like your leaving that Brokedown palace on your hands and knees- 

Are you in the House of the Rising Sun ? You just left Minglewood - well, maybe just Memphis. 

incidentally I would like to hear an early version Minglewwod. I like it better than the later slower version

• Forum MVP

One of the best excursions of my life. We saw a quote on a menu from I think Anthony bourdain that said don't try to compare New Orleans to anywhere else b/c there's no city like it. That's so true. On Saturday completely drained from an epic Friday night we just mulled around frenchmans street. A 15 piece brass bands pops up on a corner and starts playing. The streets were blocked from the crowd that formed. In every nook a band was playing. The energy was indescribable. In a 2 block area counting indoor and out, probably 20 bands were playing and everyone of those were as musically talented as any band I've seen. Dancin in the streets. Then we see this huge outdoor art market that we weren't sure how we didn't see on Friday full of fantastic art. I was blown away by the whole scene. Jazzfest will be a new annual tradition for me. After a short 5 hours out Saturday night(had to leave at 8am Sunday), I felt I had expanded my mind more than any other day in my life. I got exposed to more ideas and sounds than ever before in my life. If my lifeforce and wallet wasn't draining at an epic pace,I'd have loved to stay until next weekend.  This is a must for any music lover! 

• Forum MVP

Didn't make it to the show. When dso is in town at most places, they are the only game in town. But here in the Big Easy I couldn't stay put the first night (had my special DSO 77 show in Columbia) and by the second night we had a killed corner spot to play Dead ourselves and I opted out of the show. Was beautiful to still see everyone I wanted to see.....

even saw good ol Johnny on the streets one day and heckled him: but he couldn't see the unicorn through her busted mando strings and hookers and crack rock fund sign hehehehe.... thought he might come back and actually see me but gone are the days. I am glad I chose DSO all those years ago. He did do a double take but that's what fame will make you do: forget your friends. Oh well.

made a 20 spot for the first time playing my heart out and then some. Was using the tips from my new music teacher and his friend. It worked. Gonna figure out how to play her one way or another :)

i met amazing ppl the next day by saying I wasn't at the show and needed to know every detail from passerbys. Made friends with people that didn't remember they knew me..... and heard all about robs gumbo rap. It was almost better than being at show: this is how I felt bout the dead's fare thee well tour as well. Sometimes leaving others to experience it first hand so I can be excited by the tale is best.... I'm a deadhead that never saw jerry, after all! 

Everyone said it was one of the best shows they'd ever seen. That they played all the early stuff with an energy that was nearly unfathomable. That Lisa killed it on the harp and made the hurts me too sparkle like gold. I had to remind people what the bridge was called into the 11..... was a good week on the streets of New Orleans. We slept in the grass and did unmentionable things by the moonwalk as the train lasted for 20 mins- apparently were seen by the passengers going both ways, as we got high fives the whole next day. At age 33 I finally got black out drunk and don't remember one evening and was happy I had a great tour guide to tell me all the fun I had haha

So tour is over and I asked my tour guide friend (who I have still not seen with a banjo in hand) if he was done with me yet and he invited me to Maine. Since I have never met anyone that has been so like me (dirty but still shiny home is everywhere kid with laughing in their eyes and Dancin in their feet like a neon light diamond that can live on the street) I am going to go with him. Puts me closer to NE tour in a few weeks. And closer to my family that I don't see enough since leaving my homeland to follow the only band that does what they do.

but nobody's finished, we ain't even begun! I can't wait to see more DSO and live a life I can actually believe in. Some friends turned out to be cruel and rude and still try to convince me to cut my hair and get a day job but I had to leave that be because being me is my day job and without my hair, I wouldn't look like the unicorn they are looking for. Glad to be done with the false horn on the real unicorn to make them see the unicorn cause those that search and trust still see me and love me.

It was great to get to see so many of YOU on this southern tour. I am glad you can see me and don't judge me and giggle at my silly sense of freedom. I go for the music..... but I also follow this band because you guys are my friends and I only get to see u at shows. This family means more to me than words can tell.

i still have world to give stuck in my head and knowing that this was the ballad that Jesse and I got to share on our first tour together will always stay with me. I'm learning how to hold more of the world so I can give it to YOU.... as long as I live.

kiss kiss and see y'all soon enough. Time to get outta NoLa and go see my mom and dad and make my way to the last continental state I've never been to. Every day is a new adventure and I won't forget to pick up what my share is. My dance is my offering to the sunset and I know my faith will lead me on.

love

• Forum MVP
On 4/29/2017 at 2:19 PM, rudedogggg said:

The band was right when they said you can only stay in this town for a couple days or it would kill you.  Last night I had grand ambitions of staying until Monday. Today the gf wakes me after a few hours sleep and I'm googling how to have your car towed home so u can fly to home/alcohol detox facility. Do they have saline IV bars in New Orleans?  I think if I dare look at the credit card it's going to show a trail of makers mark all around this town until 7am. Luckily stumbling is encouraged and I wasn't in some other town or I'd for sure be in some drunk tank.

And John, it was wide open dance floor. Just so much music happening in this town. I was having to groove in the hallway of the UC. Here I was in the mix with all the room I could ask for. It's hard for me to musically compare 2 shows as the environment contributes so much to my enjoyment and last night I was in a fantastic mood taking in all this energized city had to offer.  It was my 1st DSO green grass, lindy and New Orleans which was pretty awesome. 

Ego death is great. Will be a week for me tomorrow and I am ready to go....  but I'm still alive ;) maybe not the same girl I was when I arrived, but being a unicorn is never dull. Exhausted!

• Forum MVP
Just now, chuckvegas said:

That is a truly great life testament, Steph. Nothing to add or do...

Still gotta see a moose in the highland swamps: something to do to keep me going. And as this kid ain't played me banjo yet and keeps saying he is really a sitar player.... guess imma hang round til I can prove he is a liar lmao

• Forum MVP
16 minutes ago, chuckvegas said:

Sitar? Ask him to play a few Ravi Shankar numbers for ya. That's some put up or shut up stuff right there!

Yeah....... he has big stories and so far (including something or other that's supposed to be impressive about his Shankar connection) the real life is even bigger every friend of his I meet and each day we spend together..... kinda worried he ain't a liar and I found a guy I won't be able to quit......... time (and his skills, lol) will tell....

• Forum MVP
On 5/2/2017 at 0:30 PM, Supplicated Velvet Thunder said:

.... I asked my tour guide friend (who I have still not seen with a banjo in hand) if he was done with me yet and he invited me to Maine. Since I have never met anyone that has been so like me (dirty but still shiny home is everywhere kid with laughing in their eyes and Dancin in their feet like a neon light diamond that can live on the street) I am going to go with him. ....

These two are made for each other.  I am Greatful to have shared a few days travels with them between the towns in the Carolinas.

Peace, Love, and See You Two Down the Road

Doc

• Forum MVP
On 5/4/2017 at 9:43 AM, Michael Doc Watson said:

These two are made for each other.  I am Greatful to have shared a few days travels with them between the towns in the Carolinas.

Peace, Love, and See You Two Down the Road

Doc

We still talk about those magical days with you! Still laughing about how the last 6 years I have wanted to come back to Atlanta to meet the guy with the suspenders and hat and cane and it was YOU and we have been forums buddies the whole time!!! I love that we all know each other even if we don't know each other.... love attracts love!!!! 

And jesse finally played banjo for me.......... and we have lasted more than 3 weeks (hippie relationships last 3 days, 3 weeks or 3 months or we stay connected- even if non-conventionally and not in the day to day- for life lmao)....... so I think imma stick around. For the first time since finding DSO I have something other than Jerry stuck in my head (actually, it is often the DSO versions cause that's what I'm doing this time) and had his songs from years with his friends stuck in my head instead. This is a novelty to me. The banjo action.... I have never seen anyone play like that before....... and even though he has not so accidentally broken one of each double strings from my mando so he can play it like a tiny tenor (so annoying when I go to play it) I know once he gets his own instrument I will finally have someone that understands music and can play my heart with me so I can fully open the traveling minstrel chapter of my life. I was clever when I left home to tour, providing all the vending items anyone could ever need, then I got crafty when some stitch bitches (love my tribe!) finally showed me a trade..... but now..... with my mando in hand.... I am actually free. The mana rains down from heaven and I have never been so content with nothing and giving the everything away every moment bc I have too much. It's amazing. Liberty. Gonna give it to you, too. 

• Forum MVP

1 last thing about both Nola shows. The crowd was so quiet during the quiet songs. I was shocked. In drunken New Orleans during death dont, Jeff went to a whisper and the crowd was dead silent. I love it for the band when the crowd gives that kind of respect. Just saw a post on the count basie show and it reminded me of this.  

I already booked a place for 1st weekend of jazz fest next year so hope DSO makes this a tradition even though it's not a money maker with everything going on that weekend. 

Archived