TIGDH

DesertDead

• Forum MVP

Ha ! I checked it out this morning. I was thinking earlier today how Dark Star Orchestra, this forum and it’s posters, your deadbase game, the internet, etc. has opened up the Grateful Dead universe to me. I started in 1980, so have always been a Brent fan and always drawn to that time period as far as listening to tapes. Catching Dark Star shows got me listening to seventies shows, seeking them out on the internet,  getting an understanding of that era. About a year ago, I started to pull up shows from today’s date. A great way to explore all of the different eras of the Grateful Dead. There is so much to study. They make you listen to every note. All of it is important. It’s deep. I credit Dark Star Orchestra for keeping the wheel turning and keeping me from not fading away. Moving forward, I’m thinking one of the nights in Philly will be an elective possibly with a theme fitting of these crazy times of late. 

• Like (+1) 3

• Forum MVP

Billy Strings is doing two drive in shows in Illinois and it says each car is giving an extra car space so if people want to get out of their car they use this extra space. I think those that got philly tickets are going to have a real swell time. I wonder how many cars the lot holds ? Hopefully all goes well with the follow up health reports. I don't see 1000 people packing into any clubs any time soon. Kudos for DSO for venturing out and for everyone who bought tickets and for all the forum folks for keeping a torch lit. 

FYI Lindley had a statement on his cds that said if you make a copy for someone please send $5.00 to a po box in Boulder.  He said he wasn't funded by any corporations. 

• Like (+1) 1

• Forum MVP

I sincerely respect Lindley’s right to manage his vibe with his music however he sees fit.  

But copying his CD and sending him a $5 kicker is light years from him getting exposure to tens of thousands of ears whilst appearing as a guest of Phil and Jerry and him saying “no taping”.  

He was looking a gift horse in the mouth.  🐴🐴🐴

• Like (+1) 1

• Forum MVP
21 hours ago, DesertDead said:

7/31/88 - TIGDH, was at Laguna Seca.

6/26/88 was the one in Pittsburgh.   

The only two.

Hey - saw 'em both then!  The Laguna Seca isn't ringing a bell though.

And speaking of rare songs, when Believe It Or Not slipped into the ballad slot at Laguna Seca it felt like something that was probably there to stay.  Alas, no.

• Like (+1) 1

• Forum MVP

August 1.

To celebrate Jerry’s birthday, let’s go ahead and give a choice.  The Grateful Dead only played 4 times on Garcia’s birthday.  Only three are on the Archive:

https://archive.org/details/gd73-08-01.aud.weiner.gdADT08.9145.sbeok.shnf

1982, at the Zoo in Oklahoma.  (DSO played the Zoo in Minnesota.)

https://archive.org/details/gd82-08-01.sbd.willy.10226.sbeok.shnf

The show in 1967 doesn’t have a setlist and is not on the Archive.

There are shows on July 31, and some the first week of August, but it seems evident that, for the most part, Jerry preferred to not be playing on his birthday.  Speculation on my part, but it does seem to be a trend.

I went to the Detroit show in 1994, Jerry’s 52nd.  The show didn’t start until Stagger Lee, when the volume got turned WAY up mid-song (wtf, Cutler?).  Music was good.

Set 2 of that show was very strong.  
VOTC

Scarlet

Fire (only Scarlet/Fire of Summer Tour)

Samba 

Estimated Prophet

Drums/Space

Watchtower

Stella Blue (very emotive)

Satisfaction (hot)

E:  Liberty 

https://archive.org/details/gd94-08-01.set2-sbd.georges.1026.sbeok.shnf

• Like (+1) 1

• Forum MVP

8/2/76

Hartford.  Last time outdoors in Hartford before moving into the Civic Center for the remainder of their visits to the insurance capital of the free world.

Good audience recording.

https://archive.org/details/gd76-08-02.gatto.aj.245.sbeok.shnf/gd76-08-02d2t06.shn

• Like (+1) 1

I know this is TIGDH, not TIDSOH, but this is one of my favorite recordings I made, two years ago today, at Frontier Field in Rochester, 8/3/18.  Had the perfect spot and tremendous sound, made friends with sml that day, along with a few other friends who I hold dear to this day, it was really a splendid show and time. Killer Blow Away 🌬 https://archive.org/details/dso2018-08-03.nak300cp4.flac16

• Like (+1) 4