TIGDH

DesertDead

• Forum MVP

Speaking of deercreek and the later days, during the '95 fire on the mtn,  I remember thinking Jerry's playing so much lead after one verse, even played slide (again if memory is correct) but I was like what's he going to play after the next verse? Well as we all know it didn't happen that night, so I left the show in a glow thinking reprise the next night. That's what I was really upset about the next morning when the news came out if the cancel. I was like damn we missed our fire finisher.

• Forum MVP

Let’s head back out West for TIGDH - to the Bowl.

Not that kynd of bowl, you miscreants — Hollywood Bowl!

And the year is 1974.  You know what that means:  the Wall of Sound.

First link is to read, second one is to listen.  Have a fun day!

https://www.gratefuldeadoftheday.com/07-21-1974

https://archive.org/details/gd74-07-21.bertrando.weiner.8241.sbeok.shnf

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thanks (+1) 1

7/22/90 World.  Brent's last shows, this being the second to last one.  He did far from me and pocky way.  We all knew he was saying goodbye.  During far from me he sings.... last f$&5(+&ING song for you bit$&@ch....check it out in the last vesrse..   Sad sad stuff. Felt the need to include the show in this thread.  

• Like (+1) 1

• Forum MVP
13 minutes ago, joel said:

7/22/90 World.  Brent's last shows, this being the second to last one.  He did far from me and pocky way.  We all knew he was saying goodbye.  During far from me he sings.... last f$&5(+&ING song for you bit$&@ch....check it out in the last vesrse..   Sad sad stuff. Felt the need to include the show in this thread.  

Best of the three shows, imo.

Any show with Pocky Way is typically hot.

• Like (+1) 1

• Forum MVP

7/23/90.  World Music Theater in Tinley Park, Illinois (Chicagoland).

Brent’s last show, and a very good end to a smoking Summer Tour.  Brent’s last lyric sung by himself:  “I’ve got to go, but my friends can stick around...”

Highlight for me was Cold Rain (because it’s always a highlight for me), and the first set closing with Cassidy, Truckin’->Nobody’s Fault Jam->Smokestack Lightning.  

RIP Brent.  He sang Never Trust a Woman in the 3 slot here.

Uno:  Cold Rain & Snow, Picasso Moon, Good Time Blues, Stagger Lee, Cassidy, Truckin'-> Smokestack Lightning

Dose:  Victim Or The Crime-> Foolish Heart-> Women Are Smarter-> Terrapin Station, Drums-> Jam-> All Along The Watchtower-> Standing On the Moon-> Around & Around-> Good Lovin',

E: The Weight

https://archive.org/details/gd90-07-23.sbd.oconner.7612.sbeok.shnf/gd90-07-23d3t07.shn

• Forum MVP

July 24.  There are two shows from this date, and we covered the one with Dylan and that is the Oakland half of View From the Vault IV earlier in this thread, so now you get Soldier Field, 1994.  

Lots of new music in here, mixed with some of the oldest songs played by the baddest Band in the Land.  Asterisk means Bobby played acoustic for that song.

Uno:  Mississippi Half Step, It's All Over Now, Roses, El Paso*, Loose Lucy, If The Shoe Fits, Easy Answers-> Don't Ease Me In

Dose:  Samson & Delilah, Way to Go Home, Eyes Of The World-> Eternity-> He's Gone-> Drums-> Space-> The Days Between-> Throwing Stones-> Not Fade Away

E:Liberty

https://archive.org/details/gd94-07-24.aud.candyman.10087.sbeok.shnf

• Like (+1) 1

• Forum MVP

July 25, 1982.  Compton Terrace.  Tempe, Arizona.

Good audience recording here.  Unique jam before Drums with Bobby and the drummers.  

Set 1:  Mississippi Half Step-> Franklin's Tower-> CC Rider, Bird Song, El Paso, Candyman, Lost Sailor-> Saint Of Circumstance-> Deal

Set 2:  Scarlet Begonias-> Fire On The Mountain-> Samson & Delilah, Crazy Fingers-> Estimated Prophet-> Drums-> Not Fade Away-> Black Peter-> Good Lovin'

E: Don't Ease Me In

https://archive.org/details/gd1982-07-25.fob.senn421.wise.miller.102502.flac16/gd82-07-25d2t06.flac

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

• Forum MVP
1 hour ago, Tea said:

7/25/74

Love the Dark Star > Slipknot Jam > Stella Blue.  Sound Quality is A+

Those summer '74 Slipknot jams were indeed fascinating.  And what a sequence that is.  How many were there?  Likely deserves its own thread. No more than a handful, and certainly some were more fleshed out than others.

• Like (+1) 1

• Forum MVP
7 hours ago, John A said:

Those summer '74 Slipknot jams were indeed fascinating.  And what a sequence that is.  How many were there?  Likely deserves its own thread. No more than a handful, and certainly some were more fleshed out than others.

Ever.

The only two times that Slipknot was played when it did not involve Help on the Way and/or Franklin’s Tower were the first two times it was played.

Both of those were Summer Tour, 1974

6/20/74 in Atlanta:  Eyes of the World->Slipknot->China Doll

7/25/74 in Chicago:  Dark Star->Slipknot->Stella Blue

There were three shows in ‘75 and ‘76 that had Help/Slip/Franklin’s sandwiches of sorts (drums, other tunes mixed in).

The only other variation to its normal placement was in Boston on 9/20/91, when the second set opened Help->Slip->Fire on the Mountain.

Thanks for the prompt, John.  That was fun.

• Like (+1) 1

• Forum MVP

Everyone knows about the OTHER show on July 28 (I hope!)...

This beauty comes from Red Rocks, in 1982.

Soundboards are great and all, but, personally, I love a good audience to help provide some ambience.  Before Shakedown kicks in and begins to ROCK, enjoy the taper angst about some cat getting territorial with the taper credited here, Jim Wise.  Such animosity just about mic placement, haha.  At least we have proof that he - and his tapes - survived.

Enjoy!

https://archive.org/details/gd82-07-28.fob-senn421.wise.4980.sbefail.shnf

• Forum MVP
6 hours ago, DesertDead said:

Before Shakedown kicks in and begins to ROCK, enjoy the taper angst about some cat getting territorial with the taper credited here, Jim Wise. 

That angry taper banter is absolute gold.

As an aside, the new '82 Red Rocks references, IMHO, are the Nak 700s with DBX noise reduction that were recently transferred from my Beta copies.  Here's 7-28:

https://archive.org/details/gd1982-07-28.142567.Anon.Severson.Weber-Small.Donaldson.Ammons.Noel.t-flac1644

More epic, however, is the same source from 7-29 which features an extended explosion by Phil like no other, which no other taper captured nearly this well. The board is useless, as it actually distorts (more like cuts out) during this savage passage; watch your levels...but I suppose that is for tomorrow.  :)

• Thanks (+1) 2

18 hours ago, John A said:

That angry taper banter is absolute gold.

As an aside, the new '82 Red Rocks references, IMHO, are the Nak 700s with DBX noise reduction that were recently transferred from my Beta copies.  Here's 7-28:

https://archive.org/details/gd1982-07-28.142567.Anon.Severson.Weber-Small.Donaldson.Ammons.Noel.t-flac1644

More epic, however, is the same source from 7-29 which features an extended explosion by Phil like no other, which no other taper captured nearly this well. The board is useless, as it actually distorts (more like cuts out) during this savage passage; watch your levels...but I suppose that is for tomorrow.  :)

Listening to this source of 7/29/82, sounds great so far. Looking forward to hearing Phil lay out the treachery ☠️

My speakers are safe right now listening to this out in the work truck. Also, thanks for the transfer and letting us hear it😇

• Like (+1) 1

• Forum MVP

Brent's last show.... listened last week. His last solo line sung was "I've got to go but my friends can stick around".

Definitely not in agreement that he was saying goodbye but it sure is synchronistic...

• Like (+1) 1

• Forum MVP
2 hours ago, DesertDead said:

7/29/88.  Monterey County, California.

Famous PITB.  China->Crazy->Rider.

https://archive.org/details/gd88-07-29.sbd.hayum.5395.sbeok.shnf/gd88-07-29d2t01.shn

That could be the "best" show (scene, location, band kicking it down, etc) I saw.  I recommend finding Sean Weber's spaced Schoeps omni recording as the source if it's on archive. That's the go to.  Taping wasn't allowed due to David Lindley opener, so it was all stealth.  I mean, seriously Lindley?  You're going to unilaterally stop Heads from capturing this show because you're freaked about about your set going to tape?  Get over yourself! 

This was right before I made the jump from taper section to FOB, and as we were completely unprepared to not be let in at the gate we dutifully trudged back to the car and put the gear away. When the Dead came on, however, there was nobody stopping open taping, so if you'd got your gear past the gate you were good.  Some grizzled old big bearded hippy was running shotguns on a tall stand way over past the stacks on Phil's side.  I was initially shaking my head at the guy's tactics, but when China Cat worked its way into Crazy Fingers I recall thinking this guy ain't looking so dumb after all.  😆

• Like (+1) 4