TIGDH

DesertDead

• Forum MVP
On 7/1/2020 at 4:00 PM, Ammagamalin Crew said:

imagine we're all in a parking lot right now years and years ago waiting to get into the post or maybe we're in a lot up in Maine waiting to get into the speedway,  nothing but miles and miles of intrigue coming up, speculations being drawn up, beers going down,  grill cheese and crystals in each row of cars, someone yells at their dog Cassidy,  looking for a last copy of  duprees, but when they come out on stage reality hits imagination and swirls everyone up and away until it's dark and you're back in the lot again,  having a well deserved brew and looking for your car for the next two hours 

Really bringing back the memories, quite a few mid eighties shows played at 7 am this week and last. Thanks Matt

• Forum MVP
20 hours ago, How Do You Do? said:

Rude:  Not a whole lot of people will know you are saying "IUPUI". 

TIGDH - 7/4/86 Rich Stadium, Buffalo.  GD then Dylan & Petty.  My first date with my wife.  Thirty-four years and three kids later....

Nice story! I gave 3 years later at Buffalo a whirl last night.  7-4-89.  Great show.  Ultra-Matrix is the recommended source.

07/10/90
Carter Findley Stadium - Raleigh, NC

this show will be on shakedown stream, grateful dead channel on YouTube tonight at 8pm eastern.  Right after they have John Mayer as a guest before rebroadcasting the show.  

i haven't heard much about Mayer from those on this site,man I'd love to hear what everyone thinks if him lol.   That would be an interesting thread for sure.   

• Forum MVP

Listened to the encore this morning. Made me think about how difficult it must have been for Jerry and the boys to do such a good job with it after having not played it for like five years. That’s no small task. All the more reason to appreciate just how Remarkable they were. 

• Like (+1) 1

• Forum MVP

31 years ago today, the first of 14 shows at Deer Creek took place on July 15, 1989.  Your friend, Desert Dead, proudly attended every one of them.  (We should have had 15, damn gate crashers!)

It will surprise exactly no one here that this was a very spirited performance.  And although there were a few pretty major foibles (Crazy Fingers, China Doll), it did not deter from the fun of it all one bit.  Garcia’s guitar tone was particularly sharp (in a good way) this evening.  Close Encounters space in here as an added kicker.

Uno:  Bertha, Greatest Story Ever Told, Candyman, Walkin' Blues, Peggy-O, Queen Jane Approximately, We Can Run But We Can't Hide, Bird Song

Dose:  Foolish Heart, Victim Or The Crime, Crazy Fingers-> Truckin'-> Smokestack Lightning-> Drums-> Jam-> China Doll-> All Along The Watchtower-> Stella Blue-> Sugar Magnolia, E: Brokedown Palace

https://archive.org/details/gd89-07-15.sbd.11266.sbeok.shnf

• Like (+1) 2

• Forum MVP

China doll seems like a song that is enticing to go into but once you're there it's a lot more complicated than it appeared before committing.  I've been led to it only to find myself lost once the lyrics and minor chords took over the song. Songs can disappear if they aren't kept in rotation. Some songs don't dissolve as easily as others and can be played whenever without worry 

• Forum MVP
4 hours ago, DesertDead said:

July 15, 1989.  Truckin' -> Smokestack Lightning

That transition into Smokestack is some of the best shit the post coma Grateful Dead did.  Then Garcia proceeded to simply not let up for the duration of Smokestack. 

Great stuff. And nice Deer Creek credentials to have seen every show there!

• Like (+1) 1

DesertDead Man o man you got it so right.  Deer Creek had a truly magical essence, and looking over my shoulder at flying pieces of fence during  95 desolation row was so awwful.   

Deer Creek 90 was so slick, one of the tightest in the 90s era.  We skipped 94 but...Please, please if anyone hasnt checked out the Deer Creek 93 terrapin, JAM,  drums, space, dark star, wheel ....do so.  The terrapin jam,. All I can do is laugh.  So good. 

• Like (+1) 2

• Forum MVP
2 hours ago, Ammagamalin Crew said:

China doll seems like a song that is enticing to go into but once you're there it's a lot more complicated than it appeared before committing.  I've been led to it only to find myself lost once the lyrics and minor chords took over the song. Songs can disappear if they aren't kept in rotation. Some songs don't dissolve as easily as others and can be played whenever without worry 

While the Crazy Fingers I mentioned was more about the typical, Jerry belts out “Gone are the days” while Bobby and Brent are loudly exclaiming “Life may be sweeter”, the China Doll was a bit of what you’re describing, AC.  Although in this case it happened to Jer.

Not quite like Wharf Rat 6/18/95 or anything on that level, but lost a bit.

Whatever it was he wanted to set it straight, for we got it two shows later out of space at Alpine (7/18), executed magnificently.  

• Like (+1) 1

• Forum MVP

Deer Creek was an excellent venue even if most residents of Noblesville cursed under their collective breaths when the circus came to town.

Lazy Acres Campground was really, really, really, really, really fun 😎

• Like (+1) 1

• Forum MVP
2 hours ago, Greg from Chestertown said:

Did Alpine valley this morning. 

Today’s Alpine show was among the most fun and most exactly perfect time I’ve ever had, concert or otherwise.

I consider myself lucky and am grateful for having had the experience.  

• Like (+1) 2