Songs that were teased.

Greg from Chestertown

• Forum MVP

So, I’m going down the road today, hand hung on the top of the wheel, tapping my fingers on the dash. Next thing I know, I break into Camptown races. Then I’m like, the Dead played this at the Spectrum, early Eighties. I wasn’t there but saw the set list on a cassette. I start wondering, did they play the tune or just tease it? Then I’m like, remember RFK early nineties, coming out of space, when they teased John Denver, … West Virginia…

then I’m like, good topic for a thread on forums. Go ahead, list any tunes you saw or heard teased by the Grateful Dead or Dark Star Orchestra. 

• Like (+1) 2

• Forum MVP
12 hours ago, DesertDead said:

Theme to Close Encounters of the Third Kynd.

Was the first one that came to mind, I got a couple

notes 89/10/26 Miami.  DB says one official play

78/01/22 Eugene.  Think I got an Adams Family some

where along the line.  Great Thread G of C.

Praise DSO.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

• Forum MVP

We can’t disregard the teases in the opening noodling that goes on when the band first hits the stage. I like it when you hear a couple of notes and the song appears later in the show. Also, the tunes you think you hear that never show up. I sometimes wonder if they tease just about all the tunes they’re going to play. Could it be that they tease the whole set list? 

• Like (+1) 1

• Forum MVP

I don’t know if this counts as a tease or as a hint but several years ago at Varity Playhouse I was hanging out with the band long before the show. At sound check I was at the rail with almost no one else in the venue. Dino and Rob said to each other, “We should do “Weirwolves” with a voice level I thought was strangely loud for talking to each other with nothing else going on at the moment. Apparently they wanted me to hear them. I had forgotten it was Halloween night and DSO opened the show playing “Weirwolves of London”

Peace and Love,

Doc

• Like (+1) 1

Technically this was not a "tease" but I need help in identifying what show this occurred. I had a tape of a show, I am guessing '78 or '79, and they started Estimated but the entire first verse was an instrumental right up to the chorus when Bob sang out "California!". Then after singing the entire chorus, Bob bought it to the top and sang "My time coming, any day..." it was mind-blowing!

Of course I no longer have my tapes and I have never been able to locate that particular show and I am beginning to wonder if it's all a dream I dreamed one afternoon long ago? 

Has anyone else heard this?  What show is it?????

• Like (+1) 1