Your favorite DSO show

DesertDead

• Forum MVP

I’m batting 500. One child just rolls her eyes and refuses to talk about it. I did get a Grateful Dead Igloo cooler for Christmas, though. My son has caught a couple of Dark Star shows, he tells me stories of how he sees Deadheads at a gas station with stickers on their car and he’ll start rapping with them about his deadhead dad and walking away, screaming back to them ‘I need a miracle’ and watching their mouths drop open and shaking their heads. 
  So, Rude, three minutes later, I’m pregnant? You sure you wanna go with that? Don’t want to change your story? Sorry, Buddy, but if you pitch me a slow one down the middle, I’m gonna knock it out of the park. Don’t worry, sometimes I only open my mouth to change feet. 

On 1/7/2022 at 3:02 PM, Mango said:

only time performed that I'm aware of. Great show, one of my Favs. Also an amazing recording of the show, which I've played for many delighted ears.

Great show!!! Blew my knee out on slant floor at port chester earlier that year but danced on one leg next to wall all night at Napa.

• Like (+1) 1

• Forum MVP
On 1/21/2022 at 4:10 PM, Rude said:

That was a great show Sunny. It’s impossible to just list 1 show. I have many that hold fond memories. 2/14/15 Valentine’s Day in Newport KY was a special one. One of my fav pics of meili and waiting for an Uber sits on my coffee table. I have so many shows that are near and dear to my heart, it’s hard to pick one. My favs of all time were the ones that few showed up. Maybe it’s the intimacy of the small crowd. Great for us. Bad for the band. But dso always shows up no matter what crowd size. Maybe my favorite run was that Jerry band run down south a few years ago. Heck I love them all. 

I can’t forget jazz fest dso shows which introduced me to that amazing time!!!! The joy theater was empty b/c there is jusy too much going on down there. We liked it so much we haven’t missed one since even though this year won’t be in the cards. 

Disappointed I missed that Jerry run. Life was a bit more complicated just years ago.  Still some, but man.....would of danced my ass off with you and GPair in Alabama!!!   I do regret not tagging along.  You two got some serious treats!!!    Going to miss you guys for The National show---Anthem as well.  No more Cosmic to crash in tiny studio.  Super happy I hoped on board when I did....not sure time is going to allow for those days again. Twas not so long ago, but went by like a blur.......no party jokes needed!!!   Miss you yall!!   Park City has been about to long.  

• Forum MVP
On 1/7/2022 at 12:45 PM, DesertDead said:

Just one, as of right this minute.  No need to list many or explain that you can’t pick just one.  We all get it.  

Mine is Napa, California.  October 11, 2014.

___________________________________________________________________________________

City Winery Napa

Set One: Deep Elem Blues ; Dark Hollow ; Operator ; Box Of Rain ; California Earthquake ; On The Road Again ; Rosa Lee McFall ; *Rain ; It Makes No Difference ; Friend Of The Devil ; Wake Up Little Susie ; I've Been All Around This World ; Big Iron ; Ripple 

Set Two: Till The Morning Comes ; Sittin' On Top Of The World ; Dancing In The Street ; It's A Man's, Man's, Man's World ; Cryptical Envelopment > drums > The Other One > Dark Star > Saint Stephen > The Eleven > The Other One > Cryptical Envelopment > Viola Lee Blues 

Encore: Alligator > And We Bid You Goodnight
Show Notes
Set one acoustic. Set two electric. 

* First Time performed. Song by Donna Godchaux 

This now lends the question.  Live out west and get fewer shows, but get this phenom show noted above or back east and get many shows with very few being of the quality above .  For a person who relishes memories and forgets the present, I am hard press to answer such a question.  Wake up little Susie...I know...not a GD cover that changes your life, but oddly, I feel, if In 2014 I got to dance to it in Napa Valley, it might have changed my life!!!! 

Props DD!!  Serious props for getting that in the place you got it.  I covet my 69's and 68'......like a coin collector who rubs the outside of their coins cause its protected by a lining.  Its most always special....like valuable metals 99.99% pure.......but there is that .1% that makes you realize its ok to not have been born in the 40's to witness gold in the 60's and 70's as we can still get it now...on occasion, under special circumstances, and when lucky like some 49rs did in the same land you saw this nugget!!!  

Thanks for sharing.   Would like to hear that CA Earthquake.  

• Like (+1) 2

First post

I haven't seen DSO many times.  The first was in 1999, then we had kids and going out was few and far between.  

I took 2 of my kids to see them in the fall of 2019 and had a 5 show run planned for spring of 2020 until the walls caved in.

1.5 years later, got to go with my son to this show, so it is my favorite.  It was hot and the venue was cool.  My son is in a band and taught himself slipknot earlier in the summer (his hand cramped) so it was especially good for him.

8/28/21 - Salvage Station

Asheville NC

04/29/77
The Palladium - New York City, NY

Set 1:
Help On The Way
Slipknot!
Franklin's Tower
New Minglewood Blues
Tennessee Jed
Cassidy
They Love Each Other
Big River
Loser
The Music Never Stopped

Set 2:
Samson And Delilah
Sugaree
El Paso
Brown-Eyed Women
Estimated Prophet
Scarlet Begonias
Goin' Down The Road Feeling Bad
Drums
The Wheel
Wharf Rat
Around And Around

Encore:
Uncle John's Band

• Like (+1) 7

• Forum MVP
4 hours ago, Direwolf919 said:

First post

I haven't seen DSO many times.  The first was in 1999, then we had kids and going out was few and far between.  

I took 2 of my kids to see them in the fall of 2019 and had a 5 show run planned for spring of 2020 until the walls caved in.

1.5 years later, got to go with my son to this show, so it is my favorite.  It was hot and the venue was cool.  My son is in a band and taught himself slipknot earlier in the summer (his hand cramped) so it was especially good for him.

Asheville NC

04/29/77

Set 1:
Help On The Way
Slipknot!
Franklin's Tower
New Minglewood Blues
Tennessee Jed
Cassidy
They Love Each Other
Big River
Loser
The Music Never Stopped

Set 2:
Samson And Delilah
Sugaree
El Paso
Brown-Eyed Women
Estimated Prophet
Scarlet Begonias
Drums
The Wheel
Wharf Rat
Around And Around

Encore:
Uncle John's Band

thats awesome direwolf919, and it was my 2nd birthday show of my career. (First being 8-28-88, Tacoma). We had a great group of forum members in Asheville for those shows. Salvage Station will hopefully replace the orange peel as DSO’s spot in this town, it’s a killer venue. 

• Like (+1) 3

• Forum MVP
10 hours ago, Direwolf919 said:

First post

Asheville NC

04/29/77

Set 1:
Help On The Way
Slipknot!
Franklin's Tower
New Minglewood Blues
Tennessee Jed
Cassidy
They Love Each Other
Big River
Loser
The Music Never Stopped

Set 2:
Samson And Delilah
Sugaree
El Paso
Brown-Eyed Women
Estimated Prophet
Scarlet Begonias
Drums
The Wheel
Wharf Rat
Around And Around

Encore:
Uncle John's Band

that was a hot show both literally and figuratively. Stage right was empty as the sun was baking there while the river side with shade was packed. And that show started the best way a show can—-HSF lol. Had a badass house with a ping pong table that produced a few headers into the wall chasing balls. We found out Tea was a ping pong master. He trained in China for 6 months and only his wife getting pregnant ended his dreams of becoming US champion. She’s like ping pong won’t pay the bills. You will be a banker. Go where the money is. The rest is history. He still sharks people once in a blue moon at the smoky ping pong halls around the research triangle. He’s had to run for his life a few times when people realize he’s slick paddle Willie trying to hustle them. He’s had many a ping pong ball lodged into the side of his car as he races off with their money. 

• LMAO 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

• Forum MVP
55 minutes ago, Rude said:

that was a hot show both literally and figuratively. Stage right was empty as the sun was baking there while the river side with shade was packed. And that show started the best way a show can—-HSF lol. Had a badass house with a ping pong table that produced a few headers into the wall chasing balls. We found out Tea was a ping pong master. He trained in China for 6 months and only his wife getting pregnant ended his dreams of becoming US champion. 

That show was indeed a blast - I'm in need of another one quite soon.  The monotomy is growing 

giphy.gif

• LMAO 1

• Forum MVP
On 1/26/2022 at 8:38 AM, Wharf Rat Stu said:

Never been to Orange Peel but did catch both Salvage Station shows which were HOT! I hope DSO keeps Pisgah Brewery across town in the rotation!

On 1/26/2022 at 10:32 AM, Rude said:

that was a hot show both literally and figuratively. Stage right was empty as the sun was baking there while the river side with shade was packed. And that show started the best way a show can—-HSF lol. Had a badass house with a ping pong table that produced a few headers into the wall chasing balls. We found out Tea was a ping pong master. He trained in China for 6 months and only his wife getting pregnant ended his dreams of becoming US champion. She’s like ping pong won’t pay the bills. You will be a banker. Go where the money is. The rest is history. He still sharks people once in a blue moon at the smoky ping pong halls around the research triangle. He’s had to run for his life a few times when people realize he’s slick paddle Willie trying to hustle them. He’s had many a ping pong ball lodged into the side of his car as he races off with their money. 

Uh----thats why you got the house you did in Ashville.  I walked in on you two playing ping pong.   You two appeared way more serious about the competition then you two played with skill!!   Watch Forest Gump.....the venue was much hotter than the ping pong after action.  There was for sure other action going on post shows. 

G8ful Pair entertained the band---sections of the band

You two entertained the situation

and I entertained someone's boyfriend

I would say T is most apt for Human Chess Play than ping pong.  I have seen him move rooms yet with much less focus then he had playing you at ping pong.  Ping Pong.....I dont get it