A band I'm seeing tomorrow

Ammagamalin Crew

• Forum MVP

Currently in Columbus watching the 11th inning CLEVELAND playoff game, waiting for the upcoming OSU game, waiting for upcoming  THE Who concert tomorrow night. Setlist looks like the first leg; however, the backstage blog tells the real story. Columbus should be a rare experience 

Edit: They starting playing Naked Eye and are now closing with Young Man's Blues after Baba. 

• Like (+1) 4

• 2 weeks later...
  • Forum MVP

Luke and I are going to the Palace to see Jeff Beck tonight. Seeing JB on the old crossroads festivals on PBS was one of the very first things I remember Luke being interested in musically when he was little. The year he played with that Tal Willenfield (that’s a totally butchered spelling of her name most likely) blew his mind and started him down a great guitar player rabbit hole that led to his encyclopedic knowledge on the subject. To the point every time Rolling Stone releases a top 50 guitar players of all time he takes their discretions personal. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

• Forum MVP
10 hours ago, WharfRatStu said:

Roger that Dead Duck; Tal is amazing!  Oh Yeah, Jeff Beck is pretty darn good too! :)  Seen JB as an opening act for Stevie Ray Vaughn in '88(ish).  

I saw that tour at McNichols in Denver but Stevie Ray opened for Jeff Beck. I’m pretty sure it was 89. JB mistakenly invited Stevie out on stage for a little dueling guitars session at the end of his set. Uh Ohhhhh…

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

• Forum MVP

Montana Wildaxe, 12/17, at the Queen in Wilmington, De. Tight local band that’s been around since the mid seventies. They can play Dead all night long but you could get some Whipping Post, Down by the River, maybe even some Superstition sandwiched into Dead tunes. They only play a few times a year anymore so it’s kind of a big deal. Ask Bixby, he knows.

• Like (+1) 2

• 1 month later...
  • Forum MVP
On 12/3/2022 at 3:17 PM, LangeradoSoul said:

Christmas jam in just one week. For Phils band, Barraco is now the keyboardist instead of Medeski- which I’ll gladly take. Anyone else here going?

Not in the cards for me.  Gr8fulpair?

• Like (+1) 1

• Forum MVP

Getting to do Hyryder at the Vogue theater in Indy Saturday. Much better place to dance than the mousetrap which is THE worst designed music bar in the country. Entrance door at front left of stage. Bathroom at front right of stage. From outside to pee makes you have to walk through the 1st few rows of dancers. Then to the bar you have to walk through the middle of the dance floor. You can dance for 15 secs before someone is coming through to pee or smoke. 

Phil Lesh & Friends, Xmas Jam, 12/10/2022

Midnight Hour
Masons Children
Brown Eyed Women
Shakedown Street
I am the Walrus
Morning Dew

Eyes of the World
So What
Help on the Way 
Slipknot
Terrapin Station
Box of Rain 

I think every song probably segued into the next song - awesome show- best Phil & band performance I’ve seen in 10 years 

• Thanks (+1) 1

Barraco played keys for both Gov Mule and Phil & Friends. It was the “pseudo- Quintet”, Molo on drums, Barraco on keys, Warren, Phil, and John Scofield.

whole xmas jam show and production was amazing. Scott Metzger did acoustic mini sets with his wife Katie Jacoby on fiddle to open and between some of the acts. 

Dinosaur Jr crushed their 30 minute set. Govt Mule, Tyler Childers, and Phil’s sets were back to back just as good as good can be. Music started at 7:00 pm and continued until 2:20 am

• Like (+1) 5

• Forum MVP

Yeah that sounds pretty epic. We got to do Billy strings Christmas spectacular in 2018 with 300 others in a tiny joint but it was all Billy joined on stage by the McCourry’s and a bunch of other Nashville peeps. Don’t think Billy still does 300 person shows. I can’t believe he sold out 2 Bridgestone arena shows in Nashville. He’s getting rich lol. But I found out that many bought tix to Bridgestone to get in the lottery for the Ryman show lol. Hilarious the peeps selling tix to Bridgestone on CoT saying they just bought them to get a shot at the Ryman. Lol

• Like (+1) 1

• Forum MVP

There's a lot of bad seats at the Ryman, especially under the balcony. Billy is big as big can get, until he raises the bar, just completing Europe so now all those fans are on board and his catalog is limitless since he added all that Zeppelin, Nights in White Satin and War Pigs to his covers, everything's hanging on this massive shelf he's created, just begging to drop, be lucky to catch an Oh The Dreadful , considering all of Europe didn't even get that 

• Like (+1) 1

• Forum MVP

http://tela.sugarmegs.org/_asxtela/asxcards/Phil2022-12-10WarrenHaynesChristmasJamAshevilleNC.html

Up on Sugarmegs by z-man who does all the big shows, probably on archive where you can go to tracks. I'm going to give it a listen now....

FYI there currently are 5 bed vacancies at Hotel AC for the upcoming January 14th show at RL and 8 floor suites 🕉️ to help recovery from switching to the new year

• Like (+1) 1

• Forum MVP
16 hours ago, Ammagamalin Crew said:

There's a lot of bad seats at the Ryman, especially under the balcony. Billy is big as big can get, until he raises the bar, just completing Europe so now all those fans are on board and his catalog is limitless since he added all that Zeppelin, Nights in White Satin and War Pigs to his covers, everything's hanging on this massive shelf he's created, just begging to drop, be lucky to catch an Oh The Dreadful , considering all of Europe didn't even get that 

Under the balcony you can’t see the PA speakers so you can’t get the sound besides these tiny old mounted bookshelf looking speakers. When we have those seats we go up to the upstairs dance area behind the seats which is super cramped. Being 6’4, under the overhang, I have to duck just to see the bands faces. The balcony at the Ryman is the spot to get seats unless you can get 1st 8-10 rows down low. 

• Forum MVP

I almost fell over the rail in the balcony one year at the Ryman. Was a NYE with old crow medicine show. Balloons dropped and I about did too. People behind me had the look on their faces like they just witnessed someone almost die, which was in all likelihood the case. 

• Like (+1) 1

• Forum MVP

That place is old and back then they didn’t worry about someone being an idiot and falling and them getting sued b/c the railings were too low. We were in this opera type box seeing dso in I think Boston and the rail was about 18” high in this 8 person box and I was scared to death my shin was gonna hit that rail and me flip over. It was so low that the rail actually made it almost more dangerous than no rail at all. I put a chair between me and the rail. It was nerve racking. 

• 4 months later...