2024 Dark Star Jubilee

Tea

• Forum MVP
On 2/19/2024 at 7:36 PM, Greg from Chestertown said:

I’m totally immersed in the Native American culture, studying them here on the Delmarva Peninsula. There’s projectile points found here that match up to ones found in caves in Spain and France, Solutrean style. One of the unsuccessful peopling of the Americas 23,000 years ago? I work on a farm that’s on the Chester River, near the spine of Delmarva. There’s a buried bog on the farm with a spring running into the Chester. There’s a Native American site there that they let me surface hunt the beach. In 14 years, I have found 476 projectile points, 47 tools ranging from full groove axes, Bannerstones, Sinew stones, Pestles, Hammerstones, game ball, scrapers, oh, and the bowl from a native clay pipe, about 245 significant potsherds representing at least 18 different containers. Another 3-500 smaller potsherds Diagnostic point styles show continuous visitation to this site for 10,000 years. Grateful Dead music is one of my hobbies. This is the other one. 

Have you read Empire of the Summer Moon or 1491? These both are really fascinating… just met the great grandson of Quanah Parker which is pretty wild considering I met years ago his grandson’s brother in law. What are the odds? The great grandson said Cynthia Ann Parker would wait on the porch facing west looking for dust clouds, waiting to be rescued again by her native family. This guy spoke Comanche, which is pretty remarkable …

just found the most incredible point the other day that’s 4,000 years old up above Columbus, NC under an outcropping on White Oak Mountain. Nothing like you speak of but still… 

My great grandmother was native but I don’t know much about her because Papa was 5 when she died, 2 years after his father died. My great grandfather was 76 when my grandfather was born. He fought in Cobb’s Legion and was at Gettysburg and the surrender at Appomattox. Not much was spoken of our southern native roots because it was considered shameful. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1
  • Forum MVP

Go back to where you found the one point and look again! It sounds like a spot that might go back to paleo. Look for broken rocks, straight edges and odd colors. Bring a stick so you can give ‘em a flick without having to bend over. You’ll look at more potential finds that way. Morrow mountain and Hardaway style points originated from your area. I read 1491, nice read. There’s a lot of spirituality involved with their ceramics and the crafting of the points, tools. Bannerstones are supposedly related to one individual for a lifetime. 9 out of ten that are found are broken, many repurposed into other tools or ornamentation, used by the descendants of the original user. I have a Adze that was repurposed as a sinew stone. Darrin Lowery told me that was really special to someone. ( It’s a hand me down….) A small flat stone with various grooves along the edges and a wear area near the distal end. They would run deer Sinew through the grooves to make it into string for their bow. I started looking closer at all the broken rocks on the beach and a LOT of them are actually expedient tools that were used for processing food or working with wood. A bunch of flakes with a worn edge or a cobble with an abrasive edge. It’s like they were scaling fish. Maybe I will learn more tomorrow during the full moon low tide.  Hang it up, see what tomorrow brings….

• Like (+1) 2
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Forum MVP

Our jubilee tix were a Christmas present from my mom early bird. Now a pair of vip with car is $1020. Lost lands and other fests have made legend valley outgrow jubilee. Premier weekends they want 10k+ peeps. I’m a big advocate for the mixing of jubilee with an EDM fest to keep it Memorial Day weekend outside Columbus. Dso plays nightly at their own stage while we enjoy the sites of EDM festival goers. I’m a big advocate of less clothing and I’d even be willing to go with a thong if need be to fit in with the 20yr old chicks. They would be like nice chaps. Thank you milady. 

• Forum MVP
5 hours ago, Rude said:

I’m a big advocate of less clothing and I’d even be willing to go with a thong if need be to fit in with the 20yr old chicks. They would be like nice chaps. Thank you milady. 

image.thumb.jpeg.17d78d5e568d6a936c03fb5f38d613a2.jpeg