Del Mar 1/26/24 SOLD OUT

Pretty excited to start a five-show Cali run in (basically) my hometown.

The Sound is a brand new venue, looks promising.

lots more sold out shows than usual this tour, I guess because people aren’t blowing their cash on D&C tour? Whatever, it’s good for DSO and good for fans.

LFG!!!

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Forum MVP

Guessing (publicly) a show before it starts is a fools errand - but it's FUN!  So I'm gonna go with (2) choices:  The one that I hope you get that you have some chance of getting (heart) and the one that's slightly more possible (head).

Heart - 1974/07/19

Head - 1984/10/27

Enjoy all the backyard shows!

• Like (+1) 1
1 hour ago, Tea said:

Guessing (publicly) a show before it starts is a fools errand - but it's FUN!  So I'm gonna go with (2) choices:  The one that I hope you get that you have some chance of getting (heart) and the one that's slightly more possible (head).

Heart - 1974/07/19

Head - 1984/10/27

Enjoy all the backyard shows!

Last night in Tempe was a mid-80s flavored elective selection, so I’d say the head has the edge between those two.

but who knows?

• Forum MVP

December 27, 1986

Oakland - Kaiser

Set 1

Playing In The Band 
Bertha 
Mama Tried 
Mexicali Blues 
Ramble On Rose 
Little Red Rooster 
Bird Song 

Set 2

The Mighty Quinn (Quinn The Eskimo)  
Dancing In The Street ->
Black Muddy River ->
Playing In The Band Jam ->
I Need A Miracle ->
Drums ->
Space ->
Truckin' ->
Smokestack Lightnin' ->
Comes A Time ->
Around And Around ->
Playing In The Band  

Encore
When Push Comes To Shove

• Like (+1) 2
25 minutes ago, DesertDead said:

December 27, 1986

Oakland - Kaiser

Set 1

Playing In The Band 
Bertha 
Mama Tried 
Mexicali Blues 
Ramble On Rose 
Little Red Rooster 
Bird Song 

Set 2

The Mighty Quinn (Quinn The Eskimo)  
Dancing In The Street ->
Black Muddy River ->
Playing In The Band Jam ->
I Need A Miracle ->
Drums ->
Space ->
Truckin' ->
Smokestack Lightnin' ->
Comes A Time ->
Around And Around ->
Playing In The Band  

Encore
When Push Comes To Shove

Filler:

Mr Charlie

Shape I’m In

White Rabbit

excellent show with quirky setlist - Skip was loud as heck on the Irwin/Modulus. Jeff was in great spirits and just tearing it up. 

highlights: LLR(!), birdsong, playin jam >Miracle > jam into drums, Comes a Time

Edited by Eyeball Jackson
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Forum MVP

. Jerry's first shows back with the dead after already playing eight shows at The Stone, Halloween at HJK and a couple of acoustic benefits. July 8  through October 3 was the time without. 88 days. Incredible recovery which included being part of a UC Berkeley class studying: Dionysus to The Grateful Dead with Joseph Campbell who went to his first dead show in 86 and compared to it to mythological celebrations where all boundaries are brought down and everyone is doing a celebration of life together regardless of class or profession. After lunch Jerry spaced with Mickey and others creating a music piece by generating industrial sounds that were in key with E, G, A, Dm and other music parts. He talked this in reference to the space jam. 90 min space created right before the four person panel discussion (Mickey, John Perry, Joseph Campbell, Garcia). 

This is a crazy fun show for DSO opening with Playing and then all throughout and space>truckin>Smokestack>Comes A Time ✓✓✓ this material has to have them firing on all cylinders, enjoy everyone!

• Like (+1) 4
  • Thanks (+1) 1
  • Forum MVP

Thanks for that interesting post AC…yes, firing on all cylinders indeed.

wasnt sure they played the middle Playin’ jam between Black Muddy and Miracle found in the original show, but maybe that just flew over my head,,,,when they did come all the way back into Playin’ to finish it off at the end of show it was this precision shift out of Around and Around…not slowly woven together out of a transition jam. They fully finished Around and then a split second later dropped right into the Playin’ jam….just full band completely turned on a dime so suddenly like a well oiled machine. Listened to the original show and it was kinda like that but different—this was better and crispier cleaner, I’d say…(honestly most of the show was played better than the original but maybe I wouldn’t say that if I was actually at the original 😅)

The jam out of Miracle rolled out an exquisite grroove with a slow slinky drift towards drums…

The Sound venue is so new and impressive, $17 million facility and indeed had very good sound throughout venue. Main floor got ridiculously crowded for second set and retreated to balcony and found solid space up in center with killer sound and view of band so I guess even in a sellout it’s safe to say that good dance space can be found…lots of fun dance pockets out on the edges of both levels…

Holds 1900. Definitely better than house of Blues in San Diego and nice to be just north out of the city in smaller town on the beach. The space certainly doesn’t have soul, being so new, but it has a lot going for it….but nothing like being in an old beauty like the Wiltern in LA which is just an incredible expression of artistic beauty…possibly most intricate and gorgeous old theater on all the west coast from what I’ve seen…..

• Like (+1) 3
2 hours ago, Island Bro said:

Thanks for that interesting post AC…yes, firing on all cylinders indeed.

wasnt sure they played the middle Playin’ jam between Black Muddy and Miracle found in the original show, but maybe that just flew over my head,,,,when they did come all the way back into Playin’ to finish it off at the end of show it was this precision shift out of Around and Around…not slowly woven together out of a transition jam. They fully finished Around and then a split second later dropped right into the Playin’ jam….just full band completely turned on a dime so suddenly like a well oiled machine. Listened to the original show and it was kinda like that but different—this was better and crispier cleaner, I’d say…(honestly most of the show was played better than the original but maybe I wouldn’t say that if I was actually at the original 😅)

The jam out of Miracle rolled out an exquisite grroove with a slow slinky drift towards drums…

The Sound venue is so new and impressive, $17 million facility and indeed had very good sound throughout venue. Main floor got ridiculously crowded for second set and retreated to balcony and found solid space up in center with killer sound and view of band so I guess even in a sellout it’s safe to say that good dance space can be found…lots of fun dance pockets out on the edges of both levels…

Holds 1900. Definitely better than house of Blues in San Diego and nice to be just north out of the city in smaller town on the beach. The space certainly doesn’t have soul, being so new, but it has a lot going for it….but nothing like being in an old beauty like the Wiltern in LA which is just an incredible expression of artistic beauty…possibly most intricate and gorgeous old theater on all the west coast from what I’ve seen…..

they definitely did the Playin jam between BMR and Miracle. It was great - as was the post-Miracle jam into drums. 

My first time at The Sound - it’s well named. Extremely hi-Fi acoustics. Still has a sterile feel as a brand new place. The pit area is enormous, with no clear aisles, so it’s a bit of a mess, though the crowd wasn’t uncomfortably dense, just huge and disorganized. 

I’ll have to explore the balcony next time. Definitely a welcome addition to San Diego’s thin selection of venues. We needed one this size.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Forum MVP

In 1986 I was told this string of NYE shows were sold out, not surprising since  Jerry had overcome such odds and returned in great form. But of the wonderful generous nature in orbiting that  Grateful Dead universe , along the side road beside the Kaiser,  speakers were set up allowing the generous tent/ lot scene across from the convention center to partake in dance and musical communion. This followed a string of shows for his official welcome back on  Dec 15, 16, 17 that my friends” mail ordered, got and attended three nights. In between JGB played the Stone theater some. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Forum MVP

Last year they did New Years anywhere but the Oakland Coliseum.  You don't know what you got 'til it's gone...

Such a fun run of shows, even if it was very freshly post coma and the band had so much to build on tour by tour for the next 3 years on the way back from Jerry's health meltdown. Dancin' was about to drop out, Comes A Time would get super rare, and the Playin' opening/closing treatment is unprecedented.  Fun times!!

• Like (+1) 3