Where Did The Love Go?

lookyloo

• Forum MVP

When did everyone get so angry? For those that don't know or don't remember, we all started these DSO Forums because we had no place to go. Seemed like every Grateful Dead "themed" discussion group didn't want to hear word one about DSO. We found something in this band that played the music we loved so much. In any other discussion forum the mere mention of DSO would bring down their wrath. Their negativity was focused, constant and personal. We needed a safe place to talk DSO so we made this space.

Sometimes the darkness has got to give. Please, I beg you, leave the negativity, the hate, the anger, leave it all by the wayside, take it elsewhere, but please, not here. Let us all come together as a community that supports DSO and anyone who plays the music of the Grateful Dead and find some sort of harmony in the way we speak to each other. There are going to be Furthur discussions and JK discussions, it will happen, come to terms with it. Debate? YES! Anger, name calling, negative innuendo, come on...take it someplace else, believe it if you need it, or leave it if you dare.

Do I wish things were back to the way there were? Absolutely but CHANGE HAPPENS, Jerry is gone, lets find the positive in all of this and come together as a community of fans of the music of the Grateful Dead.

Just my opinion.

Your friendly neighborhood Lookyloo

• Forum MVP

I'm with you Looky... I just stay away from a lot of threads. I have gotten very picky about what I read around here. I sure do miss the way things use to be around here. I hold hope we can get this place back to "happy family".

• Advisory Board

When did everyone get so angry? For those that don't know or don't remember, we all started these DSO Forums because we had no place to go. Seemed like every Grateful Dead "themed" discussion group didn't want to hear word one about DSO. We found something in this band that played the music we loved so much. In any other discussion forum the mere mention of DSO would bring down their wrath. Their negativity was focused, constant and personal. We needed a safe place to talk DSO so we made this space.

Sometimes the darkness has got to give. Please, I beg you, leave the negativity, the hate, the anger, leave it all by the wayside, take it elsewhere, but please, not here. Let us all come together as a community that supports DSO and anyone who plays the music of the Grateful Dead and find some sort of harmony in the way we speak to each other. There are going to be Furthur discussions and JK discussions, it will happen, come to terms with it. Debate? YES! Anger, name calling, negative innuendo, come on...take it someplace else, believe it if you need it, or leave it if you dare.

Do I wish things were back to the way there were? Absolutely but CHANGE HAPPENS, Jerry is gone, lets find the positive in all of this and come together as a community of fans of the music of the Grateful Dead.

Just my opinion.

Your friendly neighborhood Lookyloo

I agree Looky.

That's what I've been saying for a long time now and also why I (and so many other old Forum members) barely post on here any more.

Some people just seem to love to be harsh while hiding behind the statement that goes something like "Everyone knows that Deadheads are an opinionated bunch". Having an opinion is not the same as acting insensitive. Being opinionated does not grant anyone the right to act without regard for the greater good.

And of course it makes perfect sense that most posts on the DSO Forums are related to DSO and about our appreciation for DSO. After all, that is why the DSO Forums were created and why we all joined in the first place.

And in that light, here's to my favorite band :icon14: DSO!

Dr. B B)

Some people just seem to love to be harsh while hiding behind the statement that goes something like "Everyone knows that Deadheads are an opinionated bunch". Having an opinion is not the same as acting insensitive. Being opinionated does not grant anyone the right to act without regard for the greater good.

Dr. B B)

Now that I can agree with...we should always be conscious of what we say and the impact it has. Deadheads ARE opinionated...I guess the real question is: Are you kind?

not you, personally, Dr. Barry...the proverbial "YOU" :icon14:

• Forum VIP

I think we are defending our Band and Board at times....that sometimes gets ugly...I think if Furthur had a way for their fans to communicate it would help the "mood" in here...also times are tough and a lot of people are under great pressure and sometimes somebody hits a nerve in here....Times are Changing...but still no need to throw personal punches...Dr.V

• Forum MVP

I am a fan of both bands and that is okay... A heavy change happened but thus is life... the tension that arose is natural and expected. I feel that constantly trying to exploit the Furthur camp for their intentions, whether bad or good, on the forums cultivates as much hate as posts from the opposite view. Staying away from the forums isn't going to do anything... the board family is to strong for that, I've only been here a few months and that has become very clear to me... :wub:

now go check out that November 2005 show I just posted! Amazing DSO show!

Guest Charles from Oregon

Looky,

Didn't understand why you started this thread at first, then read a bunch of stuff written over the last few weeks, by new comers and people who just think negative. I wouldn't sweat it, Dark Star Orchestra is here to stay whoever is playing and Positive vibes are all around by the people who really care.Your one of the special ones, hope to see you on the playground sometime this year or next, hope all is well with you and your family. Everything on my side is positive, especially when it comes to this band and it's crew!

Charles

• Forum MVP

Thanks Looky, just tonight my wife and I were surfing youtube for shows we saw together back in college (84-87) and ended up just smiling at each other lovin' the warm smile on Jerry's face during an Iko Iko in Hampton 87. We met in college in 84, saw our first shows together in 85 and Phil breaking out that first box of rain in forever (was it 86 in Hampton??).............. just good times. There was no competition then. I remember painting a mural on my wall in my college dorm room "Grateful Dead, they're not the best at what they do, they are only ones that do what they do". Maintenance made us paint over it to avoid losing our deposit.... Let's try to focus on the positive energy that comes from the band that brings us back to that same feeling..........for me it's DSO! Thank you DSO band members, crew, agents, phone screeners, forum watchers, merchandise sales, webmasters,...........etc, etc, I love Grateful Dead music and any way it's delivered............for me, it's DSO!!

:dsorocks:

Amen to the sentiment of this post..., I am writing this @ 2:30 am in a Denny's after the show @ the El Rey in L.A. & I can report that the show was great & that the vibe in the theatre was positive & there was a coLlective consciousness of welcoming Stu to the community...after a few songs I turned to a friend and said, "it's going to be alright, we are in good hands". Stu was great, his "Cats Under The Stars" closer was a terrific send off as his vocals were Dead on, so to speak...so, the way I see it, discussions, banter & civil debate are human nature & part of the juice, fun & energy of music...the bad natured rhetoric has no place but will fadeaway on it's own as it lacks true inspiration & passion...this too, shall pass~

Guest jazz-man

It is sad but true that some folks like to start trouble ( look at some of the folks on DNC that many of us have known for years) and cause arguments and then sit back and admire what they started. Or they love to see the words they wrote as if it were a legacy or something. Or they forget that opinions are not facts. The thing I love most in life is justice. Treating other people harshly for selfish reasons isn't right, it isn't kind, isn't just. Remember that lyrics from the Youngbloods ..."c'mon people, smile on your brother, everybody get together and lover one another right now".

Thanks Looky, just tonight my wife and I were surfing youtube for shows we saw together back in college (84-87) and ended up just smiling at each other lovin' the warm smile on Jerry's face during an Iko Iko in Hampton 87. We met in college in 84, saw our first shows together in 85 and Phil breaking out that first box of rain in forever (was it 86 in Hampton??).............. just good times. There was no competition then. I remember painting a mural on my wall in my college dorm room "Grateful Dead, they're not the best at what they do, they are only ones that do what they do". Maintenance made us paint over it to avoid losing our deposit.... Let's try to focus on the positive energy that comes from the band that brings us back to that same feeling..........for me it's DSO! Thank you DSO band members, crew, agents, phone screeners, forum watchers, merchandise sales, webmasters,...........etc, etc, I love Grateful Dead music and any way it's delivered............for me, it's DSO!!

Great post! :cheers:

Some people took that great Jerry feeling forward to DSO, some to Phil & Friends, some to Ratdog, some to Phish, some to Furthur, etc, and some only like to sit around and listen to old GD tapes. Insulting any of those ways of enjoying the legacy is directly insulting the happiness that Jerry spread, IMHO.

There's not much we can do about all the dickheads on other boards but at least we can try to make sure visitors to the DSO board don't come away thinking "man, what a bunch of dickheads over there".

• Forum MVP

Some people took that great Jerry feeling forward to DSO, some to Phil & Friends, some to Ratdog, some to Phish, some to Furthur, etc, and some only like to sit around and listen to old GD tapes. Insulting any of those ways of enjoying the legacy is directly insulting the happiness that Jerry spread, IMHO.

..wise words Rusty, couldn't agree more.

• Forum MVP

A peaceful place or so it looks from space

A close look reveals the human race

Full of hope,full of grace is the human face

But afraid we may lay our home to waste.

The future's here,we are it....we are on our own!

LOVE ONE ANOTHER!

• Forum MVP

You and I must have been at some of the same shows. I was in college from 83-87 and made the drive from Nashville to Hampton each of those years as I recall. I remember that "Box" breakout like it was yesterday.

Good times.......Hampton Coliseum.......the spaceship.......LOL. :icon14:

• Forum MVP

You and I must have been at some of the same shows. I was in college from 83-87 and made the drive from Nashville to Hampton each of those years as I recall. I remember that "Box" breakout like it was yesterday.

Good times.......Hampton Coliseum.......the spaceship.......LOL. :icon14:

Hampton-Coliseum.jpg

Spent many days and nights in the parking lot of the spaceship........cutting my teeth on the scene. Imagine how many FEWER shows we'd of all seen then if they didn't let us camp in the parking lot. There was NEVER one minute of consideration about where to stay like there is today. Livin' on tofu hotdogs and bean burritos. :huh:

• Forum MVP

I am a fan of both bands and that is okay... A heavy change happened but thus is life... the tension that arose is natural and expected. I feel that constantly trying to exploit the Furthur camp for their intentions, whether bad or good, on the forums cultivates as much hate as posts from the opposite view. Staying away from the forums isn't going to do anything... the board family is to strong for that, I've only been here a few months and that has become very clear to me... :wub:

now go check out that November 2005 show I just posted! Amazing DSO show!

Vincent

I hope all is well. I hope your semester ends well for you and you have a great summer. Try to understand no one has a problem with you liking both bands. Most don't even really care that you post the set lists and copy a picture of the drums for us (some do as there are other web sites for that; most here know how to use the internet and even visit other boards). There just working out the "heavy change" that occurred for them and it does create all sorts of feelings - feelings of anger, confusion, sadness, and even in some hatred. You have to understand that for some this heavy change was a drastic shift in their life. They spent every minute of the free time chasing this band. For some this music is a hobby, you see a few shows a year (I would say 10 or less) and you listen to music at home and tell all your friends about this amazing music. For others, this is pretty much their life; they chase the sound seeking it, searching it, feelings it, and then becoming a part of it. It can be particularly hard for a lifer to be confronted by a hobbyist when their opinions don't align. I really hope all is well and that I catch you at a show in the near future.

I will be in Philadelphia, Glen Allen, Montclair, and Ashburn on DSO next tour. I think you said your from Jersey. Hopefully, I catch you at the Wellmont.

Sorry Looky to take the attention of the love. I just think we all need to learn that sometimes tempering or omitting are opinion even if it is a positive one can be for the better of the whole. If you really need to gush your undying love for all things Furthur there is probably a better forum to do it on and believe me, I by no means am saying don't post about Furthur here or tell us about a great show. Nor am I saying I don't support Furthur. Come to the shows; you will see that is not true. Just that a little respect and recognition for how others might feel about your post before you post would probably go along way towards making this a happier place to post again.

Archived