August 9Th 1995- 4:24Am

New York Steve

15 years has passed and there isn't a day I don't think about him

Found this video and on his worst day, he had more soul, passion, depth....

Enjoy the video.

Miss you!

Thanks steve....I love this show....I actually just listened to this "so many roads to heal my soul" last night and saw that you put it up today. The HSF, Althea, Scarletfire and the rest is all great to listen if you got an ear for the hyper emotional Jerry. This run is the last 3 at the Boston Garden. I love 10/3 too. I've got so much faith in the Grateful dead and their ability to heal. We will never have Jerry back on stage but we still have that song that comes cryin through the night. 15 years later we've got wounds to heal. Lets open the doors to remember the love that Jerry brings us.

Jerry is our spirit guide and will help us along our way....I know Im a huge thorn to most of you....but GOD help us if we don't honor his legacy by honoring the wake he has left behind.....Today and everyday I honor Bobby for standing by Jerry.....He has done him proud!

What if all tomorow brings is ashes and glass

And I can't tell you child, "this too shall pass"

If all the world were windswept, cold and gray (note 1)

And in the end there's nothing left to say

If all the silicon and best laid plans (note 2)

Became the master, and the fall of man

If all the earth were baked to hard red clay

Not so far from where we are today

Ah well anyway

Come on darlin', swing and sway

Daddy gonna find us a better way

And if that better way don't float

Daddy gonna find us a tighter boat

And if that tighter boat don't sail

Grab a bucket babe, and start to bail

And if that bucket spring a leak

Little miss, we're up the creek

What if fire came raining on the hills

And mountains made of rusting Coupe De Villes

And all God's children find themselves alone (note 3)

And all the poets took to throwing stones

Guess we're on our own

No way out and no way home

Come on baby, it's time to sing

Daddy gonna grab that old brass ring

And if that old brass ring don't fit

Daddy gonna get to fixin it

And if that old brass ring stays broke

Daddy gonna buy you a billy goat

And if that billy goat don't bark

Gonna give that goat the old kick start

Old kick start

What if all that was left was ashes and glass

And I can't tell you child, "this too shall pass" (note 4)

And if those four horsemen can't be turned away

And everyone's too paralyzed to pray

Too paralyzed to pray

And the jury's out on judgement day

And there ain't nothing left to say

Nothing left to say

Come on baby we can fly

Daddy's got a stack of alibi's

Alibi's shot full of holes

Come on child, let's rock and roll

And if that roll takes us to France

Teach them Froggies how to dance

Keep on dancin', sing the tune

We'll be dancin' all around the moon

And if that big old moon go bust

Well ashes to ashes, baby, dust to dust

Baby it's time for one last rave

Keep on dancin' on our own graves

On our own graves

Keep on dancing

On our own graves

Keep on dancing

Keep on dancing

Guest jazz-man

You know what? Death, YOU SUCK!!! Here we gift wrap and offer up Dick Cheney but no, you take our best. In all earnestness, I also think of Jerry every single day. Today I was just telling this gal that the reason I first came to Saudi Arabia 15 years ago was so I could afford to do 3 weeks or so of tour every summer. And then I got the phone call...There's not enough tears in this world to bring him back but we sure try, don't we? RIP Jer, you showed me the way and I am forever grateful.

I'll never forget that day when my housemate, who is not a Deadhead, gave me the news upon my arrival home from work, that Jerry had died. I felt very numb the whole night and throughout the next day, completely un-focused, bumping into walls, and felt basically like I had been given a very bad, long-acting drug. By the following night, however, I found myself digging into some of my favorite GD shows (on tape, of course!) and trying to bring my mood up by blasting the music for not only me to enjoy, but loud enough for most of the neighborhood to hear, as well !!! Some heads, I'm sure, took a different approach, and avoided listening to anything GD related during their time of grieving, and I totally understand them. For me, however, music is therapy. It took me the better part of a month to come to grips with the fact that the GD were no more, and I still to this day wish I could re-live just one show with Jerry... miss him every day. With DSO in my life, though, the feelings I get being surrounded by fellow heads are very similar when I go to their shows, as I experienced this past Saturday night in Englewood. Thank you, DSO, for all your efforts to keep the flame alive... I am fairly sure Jerry would be proud of what you are doing, and of us, for being so devoted to ths music.

Peace.

Topher

15 years has passed and there isn't a day I don't think about him

Found this video and on his worst day, he had more soul, passion, depth....

Enjoy the video.

Miss you!

Thanks for the video.I also miss that man EVERY DAY.I'm just blessed to have a loving wife that understands me.Still trying to go to Beth tonight.

Thanks for the video.I also miss that man EVERY DAY.I'm just blessed to have a loving wife that understands me.Still trying to go to Beth tonight.

What more can be said about the sadness today invokes in my heart !

I remember the exact place/details of that day 15yr.'s ago, just like it was yesterday.

GR8fulAuditor(Tom, if memory serves me) -I'd love to run into you tonight in Bethlehem & sit down over a drink to discuss the state of the music with you- How would I know you if we happen to be dancing in the same area? :cheers:

I'll be wearing a blue DSO tank top & shaking my bones @ the rail in front of Jeff.

Peace,

Rob

:dsorocks:

• Forum MVP

I actually went, as originally scheduled, to the Great America theme park in Santa Clara that day. With our first child in the oven and a bunch of friends with small kids. Quite a surreal day, being at an amusement park the day of Jerry Garcia's death.

• Forum MVP

You slipped away so quietly

alone, near half-past four

The full moon melted in the sea

as they knocked upon your door

They said you lay there, smiling

in the dark, so peacefully

While an angel sang that lullabye,

Death Don't Have No Mercy. . .

You stood for years upon a stage

with poem and melody

Like a wizened sage who held the point of

life's philosophy

Then left them waiting, with heart and rose,

for one more joyful eve

sweet ragtag kids and wanderers

who

• Advisory Board

I remember this day, 15 years ago so clearly...

I was at work, around lunch time, listening to the rock station that was on in the warehouse... They said that Jerry Garcia had passed away earlier that morning.... I completely broke down into crying... Being the only Deadhead in that entire warehouse/offices, everyone looked at me like I had 3 heads. I was so torn up, I actually told my boss that I had to leave, and that I was to upset to deal with work... Usually the guy was a total prick, but he must of seen how genuinely upset I was and told me to go home and lay down..... I went home and met up with a few of my good friends, had a few beers and we talked about a few of the experiences we had seeing the fat man at work... I was lucky enough to see 3 Grateful Dead shows, unlucky as when I was born, as I'm sure I would of made many more. I was 16 at my first show, so needless to say, my mother wasn't about to go let me head to RFK by myself...

After my first experience in the lot before the show started, I knew I had come home to something I'd never knew existed, yet felt so right. The weird, and wonderful people I ran into while on the field, sitting next to the "Deaf Zone",which was right by the "Phil Zone"...

Miss you Jerry!!!!!! Miss you more then words can tell!!!

• Forum MVP

I too remember the experience 15 summers ago, although it was more like a several day experience for me.

I was living in a group house with 2 very deadicated heads. We ended up holding a vigil of sorts at the house with about 15 of our friends, fueled by some powerful liquid and hours of continuous tunes, dancing and reminiscing.

Interestingly I wasn't shocked to hear the news initially. It was inevitable as far as I was concerned.......it was just a matter of when. Watching his slow and steady decline in the 90's and its deleterious effect on the music bummed me out to the extent that I stopped going to shows in '94.......it was too painful to watch and the musical highlights were too far and few between. I wanted to "retire" on top I suppose.

I'm grateful that I got in 35 or so shows in the 80's (Brent!!). Oh, the memories.......

Thank god for DSO.......

• Forum MVP

My life has been shaped and influenced by a few important people and events - family, meeting my wife, birth of my kids, death of my mother, relationship with God, and communion with Jerry Garcia. I feel fortunate that all are still important and influential aspects today.

• Forum MVP

Still remember the moment that I received "the call": About 9 hours into what should have been a 14 hour work day. Just took my 1st break in about 6 hours and my pager (ahhhhhhh early technology) went off. Called my buddy (non-Deadhead) back and all he asked was "Is it true?". And I said "huh? Is what true?". he said "Jerry died". I told him I'd call him back. Made one more call and crumbled on the floor next to the payphone and sat there for about 15 minutes. Walked back into the office and said "I'm Out!"(when I went back 2 days later, without calling in, only thing they said was "we figured you wouldn't be in"). Tears streaming the whole ride home. Thank goodness there was a liquor store on my right. Bottle of Jack, 3 friends waiting at my door and a long, long night. I will have to say, in retrospect, that was one amazing night of listening to some great, great, GRATE music.

Rather Be With You....

Still Makes Me Cry

A few days after Jerry died, my Dad + I went to Maine to visit my ailing Grandfather. On the way there and home, we passed many front lawns with large banners and flags in memory of the Big Man. My Dad was shocked to see the amount of outpouring for this man. I believe it was that day that he (Dad) began to respect my adoration of Jerry Garcia. Sadly, Gramps died on Halloween of that year. I did alot of driving for work back then, and that was when I got my music fix, while driving. I could not keep it together when I popped in the tapes for about a year!! I'm sure some of it had to do w/ Gramps, but I can't even read all of these posts without tearing up.. :(

• Forum MVP

Love Ya Jerry

Miss him every single day. Even more so when you find shit like this on the web.

Oh, dear God! That's All Right, Mama leaves me breathless. JGB - 3/1/80 - Capitol Theater, Passaic, NJ.

Go download it now....rinse....wash....repeat. I did and my hair won't behave.

for what it's worth {and i will not go into all of the "what's in my own head/Spirit" about it all}, 4:23 is when "they" found him...does it seem plausible, 4:18??? {some of you ought get this}...and if so, then fuckin' WHOA !!!

Archived