Favorite Gd Year

Starhead420

• Forum MVP

I am going to go with 77-78. I know its tough to pick just one little piece of the whole picture and call it your fav, but if you had to pick one what would it be?

You mean today?....cause tomorrow will be something different. I will give you my top 5 (in no real particular order)since they remain pretty consistent:

1) 1977-78

2) 1973

3) 1991

4) 1983

5) 1971

It's like Bill Walton says...it would be like deciding which of my children I loved best.

That said, I'll take a stab:

1) 1972 (Pigpen's last tour, followed by the psychedelic jazz that would dominate pre-hiatus)

2) 1990 (You get Brent's best stuff, followed by Hornsby/Welnick)

3) 1977 (How does it get so low? Personal preference, I guess!)

4) 1978 (Not as sharp as 77, but with absolutely terrifying muscle and energy, like nothing since...)

5) 1971 (As Jerry called them, "a shoot 'em up saloon band")

• Forum MVP

Wonderfilled pictures of the years! I'd have to say 1983 (first show---- very subtle and unknown to me then---just a freaking culdrum smoldering!) 1985 with all the wild covers and the Comes, Cryptical, ect that came back, 1987 because , hell , Jerry was BACK! then 1988 because To Lay Me Down came back to us and summer 1990 especially Brent's last show when Jerry almost pulled out Nobody's Fault in the first set during the Truckin'>smokestack. I did like 1993 but by then I had found Emmylou and the Nash Ramblers with their smaller crowd scene. Stopped touring with GD in 1994 and started touring with ELH. That Deercreek 1995 Fire on the Mtn when Jerry sang only one verse had him playing slide and all kinds of great scales, so I thought he would finish the Fire with a Reprise the next night, but hey it got cancelled due to gate crashers, then the bridge fell in in St Louis and we got black muddy rivered in Chicago. "You Know The Rest" Steve Earle El Corazon! (The Heart)

• Forum MVP

I am going to go with 77-78. I know its tough to pick just one little piece of the whole picture and call it your fav, but if you had to pick one what would it be?

So you are asking us to pick a year and leading this thread off, you pick two?

I love it.

:)

• Forum MVP

That was not an easy exercise. But if pressed there is just too much greatness in '77 for another year to over take it.

And as Stone points out, how can you give us such a tough, if not impossible, assignment, then vacillate horribly right out the gate? :P

• Forum MVP

In very particular order:

1. 1977-78

1977-05-08+Poster.jpg

2. 1972

grateful_dead_europe_72.jpg

3. 1973-74

GD2.jpg

4. 1988-89 - those setlists!

gratefuldead1822__37493_zoom.jpg

5. pre-1970 - yes, this is expansive, I know...

Grateful-Dead-pictures-1968-LS-5591-004-l.jpg

I knew I liked you for a reason Chuck. That's a damn fine list, right there. Although, to be honest, I might flip #1 & #3, although that might change tomorrow.

That was not an easy exercise. But if pressed there is just too much greatness in '77 for another year to over take it.

And as Stone points out, how can you give us such a tough, if not impossible, assignment, then vacillate horribly right out the gate? :P

Hahaha I didnt even notice that.. In that case ill go with 89 too! :D

• Forum MVP

Only because of what happened in 8 nights in the Winterland, in Missoula, British Columbia, places called Freedom Hall and Selland Arena, a Florida Jai Alai fronton, the Beehive of Industy, the Garden, the now-vanished International Amphitheatre, and the former mid-Atlantic colonies.

But for that, I'd say 1973.

• Forum MVP

surprised no one has said 65-95 yet...

but if i had to choose a favorite (and by principle i never have favorites... the only favorite i have is my favorite band :) ), i would say 87-90.

but damn, i love all the eras! (except i love the vince GD stuff the least). imagine how boring it would be if we only had the 72 sound or the 69 sound or whatever!! variety is spice of life

Although it was hard to take the lack of quantity, 75 was my favorite year! These were four ground breaking shows with many firsts - it was an incomparable thrill for me to be able to attend just one of these - the bob fried memorial boogie. Here was a well rested and rehearsed band rolling out for the first time help, slip, & franklin's, and crazy fingers. 75 also brought us the only opportunities to hear Blues for Allah and Stronger than Dirt.

• Forum MVP

no love for '85 yet?! allow me to be the first.

!985 got mentioned read the post above for the recognition of comes and cryptical returning let alone all the covers they did that year I mean come on Walkin the Dog! and Revolution, why don't we do it, Keep on Growing, She Belongs, also the JGB shows were out of control, check out some of his Stone shows fro '85!!!

Have wrestled with this question for years and have decided to opt for a conventional choice:

Why?

Song selection: Still get lots of St Stephens, Love the Help/Slip/Franklins. Plenty of great Terrapins, Scarlet/Fires galore, plus all of the other usual favorites.

Setlists: I'd be psyched to hear DSO re-create just about any 77 shows, along with a few real favorites: 2/26/77, 3/18/77, 3/19/77, 6/9/77 and 11/6/77

And, of course, there's the whole Spring 77 tour which I think DSO should re-create, in its entirety, on the tour's 35th anniversary in 2012....

Archived