Do You Miss Jerry?

GratefulFred

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Forum MVP

berhta>believe it or not>visions>goodnight irene>comes a time>dark star>dew>scarlet>fire>stella> eyes>mission>foolish heart>sotm>forever young> how sweet it is >so many roads >ruben and cherise > the maker ...

Dave Stone , what would you add to this set or how would rearrange it or both ??? and remember thay all have to segue to be consider it one song ... I know your very busy being a daddy , but this is important ... :P

• Forum MVP

berhta>believe it or not>visions>goodnight irene>comes a time>dark star>dew>scarlet>fire>stella> eyes>mission>foolish heart>sotm>forever young> how sweet it is >so many roads >ruben and cherise > the maker ...

Dave Stone , what would you add to this set or how would rearrange it or both ??? and remember thay all have to segue to be consider it one song ... I know your very busy being a daddy , but this is important ... :P

Since the introduction of the mighty '>', I will offer:

Playin>Eyes>Dark Star>Cryptical>Other One>Fire>Scarlett>The Eleven>Terrapin>Other One>Dark Star>Stella Blue>China Doll>Playin Reprise.

I have to stop here because of the set-break :angry:

I like the Tangled, Harder They Come, and Mission. The passionate side of me says Must Have been The Roses, the only Dead song my wife really likes. I would really want her there with me! She only tolerates the rest.

Peace,

Joe

• Forum MVP

Since the introduction of the mighty '>', I will offer:

Playin>Eyes>Dark Star>Cryptical>Other One>Fire>Scarlett>The Eleven>Terrapin>Other One>Dark Star>Stella Blue>China Doll>Playin Reprise.

I have to stop here because of the set-break :angry:

so we're bringing back the whole band !!! and if we can do that , then we can have a show with no set-breaks :icon14: ... one set 25-30 of our favs , everyone's bringing their A-Game and the extended jams go on forever .... :)

The difficulty with it being just one song is that there are so many factors to consider. The first is that I would likely want one where there is a space built in for one of his vocal jams where he really blows it out (e.g., So Many Roads; Standing). But that leaves out some of the other incredibly well-written gems (e.g., Mission; Comes A Time; Loser). Also, something to consider is that he would be solo (right?), so you have to take into account how well the band backs him up and helps build a lot of these tunes for him (e.g., Dew; Wharf Rat), and how much would be lost without their accompaniment. Taking it all into consideration, I would probably go with So Many Roads because it is a beutifully-written song, would sound really cool solo, has the opening at the end for a vocal jam, and would be really poignant given the circumstances.

As an aside, I was at the last Grateful Dead show in Chicago in '95. There weren't many highlights from that two-night run, and Jerry did not look good at all. However, the So Many Roads from the second night (which is on the So Many Roads box set) is really, really moving, with a little extra heart-felt ad-libbing at the end by Jerry. Most of you have undoubtedly heard this version, but if not, definitely check it out.

Mark

The passionate side of me says Must Have been The Roses, the only Dead song my wife really likes. I would really want her there with me! She only tolerates the rest.

Peace,

Joe

U guys should check out Elvis Costello's medley of "Ship of Fools">"Roses">"Ship"(if u haven't yet). They go together like peas and carrots! (Plus you can turn her onto another Hunter gem without her even realizing it) B)

Here's a link to Furhur and Costello performing Ship>Roses>Ship:

http://www.archive.org/details/furthur2011-03-27.zman.ccm4v.112739.flac16 (AUD)

http://www.archive.org/details/furthur2011-03-27.sbd.official.113516.flac16 (SBD)

I personally like his recorded version better...

www.youtube.com/watch?v=m7rX1WmKc40

:icon14: It's hella cool Furhur's allowing FREE streams of their live "Official" Soundboards on the archive now...beautiful things! :D

• Forum MVP

You walk into this room and there are just a handful of people there. Not quite sure what is going on and out walks Jerry with his acoustic and drops:

She Belongs to Me>Visions>Limbo>Deep Elum>Sitting on Top of the World>Candyman

At that point, as Col. Bruce likes to sing, I'd be Fixin to Die cuz that's about as good as it gets :wub:

• Forum MVP

You walk into this room and there are just a handful of people there. Not quite sure what is going on and out walks Jerry with his acoustic and drops:

She Belongs to Me>Visions>Limbo>Deep Elum>Sitting on Top of the World>Candyman

At that point, as Col. Bruce likes to sing, I'd be Fixin to Die cuz that's about as good as it gets wub.gif

>Harder They Come>Sisters and Brothers

At that point I'd need the defibrillator but I'd tell the paramedics to not bother, as I would be proud to go up way beyond the blue with those notes in my ears.

• Forum MVP

Gave thought to original question and if presented with the opportunity I would ask him out to dinner. I have mountains of Cd's, I'll never listen to all of them, and Jerry's thoughts would be of more importance.

• Advisory Board

Bingo!!! Also, I'd have to substitute Forever Young for Althea... and Positively 4th St as the encore...wait... no Sing Me Back Home.... Wait.... oh hell just have him play all his shit.... If we're gonna get him back for the night, let's get em all!

Archived