Eastwood Flics

gr8fulpair

• Forum MVP

Just sitting here taking in Escape from Alcatraz (and goobin' on the forum). Have seen this one probably 12 times, but last time was probably 5 or more years ago. Clint looks like a twenty-something. Can't believe this one debuted in 1979. Also just realizing that Clint's cell-neighbor is the guy who auditioned for the Kramer role in the Seinfeld episode where Jerry and George are casting for their proposed show about "nothing". Just got me to thinking, Clint Eastwood is the Jerry Garcia of Hollywood (for me anyway). He did somewhere around 60 movies as an actor and produced and/or directed many more. Most people know him for his "bad-ass" roles, but he did movies for every taste.

I know the forum is ripe with "best of" threads lately, but what the hay. For me this is almost as difficult as picking my favorite GD song. It's a close race for me between several, including Dirty Harry, The Good Bad and Ugly, Every Which Way But Loose, Pale Rider, Bridges of Madison County, Million Dollar Baby, Escape from Alcatraz, Heartbreak Ridge, Unforgiven, etc., etc. But the one that stands above them all for me is Outlaw Josey Wales. I think I know almost every line of dialog in that movie. My favorite being "dying ain't much of a livin' boy".

What's yours?

• Forum MVP

As in anything, it is hard to pick just one. But standouts are The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly; Dirty Harry (captures a real moment in time for this country); and Gran Torino. Then there's Paint Your Wagon, if you want some interesting vocal stylings. I love Lee Marvin, too...

Good topic!

• Forum MVP

Now, remember if things look bad and it looks like your not going to make it, then you gotta get mean. I mean plumb mad dog mean. Cause if you lose your head and give up,then you neither live nor win. That's just the way it is.

Outlaw Josey Wales is my favorite Eastwood movie also.

• Forum MVP

The pantheon is not complete without respect being given where it is due - Kelly's Heroes.

Sergeant, this bank's not gonna fall into the hands of the American army. It's gonna fall into our hands. You see, we're just a private enterprise operation.

• Forum MVP

Forgive me if this is a downer for anyone. First I admit that Eastwood is a talented actor ( TV and Movies), and an excellent director. But for some reason I've always had the feeling there were underpinnings of racism and/or prejudice in his films. I happen to agree with Spike Lee's viewpoint of Eastwood's war movies.

• Forum MVP

Forgive me if this is a downer for anyone. First I admit that Eastwood is a talented actor ( TV and Movies), and an excellent director. But for some reason I've always had the feeling there were underpinnings of racism and/or prejudice in his films. I happen to agree with Spike Lee's viewpoint of Eastwood's war movies.

I understand Lee's argument but there are 'underpinnings of racism and/or prejudice' is every single one of us, from the Dalai Lama to Jesse Jackson to Phil Lesh to Spke Lee to me and you.

Every single one.

The first step towards cultural awareness is admitting as much, at least in my mind.

• Forum MVP

Top of the list:

Outlaw Josey Wales

High Plains Drifter

Gran Torino

Bottom of the bucket:

Pink Cadillac

The Rookie

Eastwood is one of my favorites - a true gem. He can flat out direct a movie and his presence on screen is always palpable.

Just sitting here taking in Escape from Alcatraz (and goobin' on the forum). Have seen this one probably 12 times, but last time was probably 5 or more years ago. Clint looks like a twenty-something. Can't believe this one debuted in 1979. Also just realizing that Clint's cell-neighbor is the guy who auditioned for the Kramer role in the Seinfeld episode where Jerry and George are casting for their proposed show about "nothing". Just got me to thinking, Clint Eastwood is the Jerry Garcia of Hollywood (for me anyway). He did somewhere around 60 movies as an actor and produced and/or directed many more. Most people know him for his "bad-ass" roles, but he did movies for every taste.

I know the forum is ripe with "best of" threads lately, but what the hay. For me this is almost as difficult as picking my favorite GD song. It's a close race for me between several, including Dirty Harry, The Good Bad and Ugly, Every Which Way But Loose, Pale Rider, Bridges of Madison County, Million Dollar Baby, Escape from Alcatraz, Heartbreak Ridge, Unforgiven, etc., etc. But the one that stands above them all for me is Outlaw Josey Wales. I think I know almost every line of dialog in that movie. My favorite being "dying ain't much of a livin' boy".

What's yours?

That is funny, ever since I saw Outlaw Josey Wales for the first time, that line has been my favorite Clint Quote of all time. I must have narrated that scene a hundred times explaining the build up to that quote. I also love the dialogue between 10 Bears and Josey about life and death.

Great thread!

Peace,

Joe

Archived